Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Anduin is like only interesting Alliance main character from all other factions, killing him off would give nothing good into the story.
    Especially after developing him for so long as little boy till adult, who knows he might even become old man.

Sylvanas makes WAY more sense to be killed off already.
    The entire point of the Red Wedding is that the death(s) is(are) meant to be a shock. If you kill a character that 50+% of the fanbase expects to be dead at the end of the expansion anyway it wouldn't have anywhere near the same impact.

It would have to be done well though. Vol'jin's sudden death felt really dumb, particularly because Vol'jin had done absolutely nothing since becoming Warchief. It also lost a lot of meaning, and I think got quite a few Horde players disengaged from the lore due to basically playing Warchief Roulette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    The entire point of the Red Wedding is that the death(s) is(are) meant to be a shock. If you kill a character that 50+% of the fanbase expects to be dead at the end of the expansion anyway it wouldn't have anywhere near the same impact.

It would have to be done well though. Vol'jin's sudden death felt really dumb, particularly because Vol'jin had done absolutely nothing since becoming Warchief. It also lost a lot of meaning, and I think got quite a few Horde players disengaged from the lore due to basically playing Warchief Roulette.
    I understand that, but i mean Anduin is like legit the only interesting Alliance character atm that has legit good development each expansion. It would be a big hit to the Alliance faction to just remove him.

We already had that big of an impact when Varian died... Like i still hate Blizzard for killing him. He was legit a manly man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The WoW writers aren't anywhere near the level of those from GoT around the time the Red Wedding took place.

The season 8 writers though..... thats a different story
    Dumb & Dumber wrote through the entirety of GoT as far as I am aware, they just had it written for them up to season 5 by Martin. From then on you can see the deteriorating story and by season 8 it was completely gone. That's where you have them saying Dany "forgot about the iron fleet" and the Dothraki are completely wiped out then re-appear later. It has recently come to light that Dany burning King's Landing was supposed to be an accident where she sets off wildfire caches that start exploding and THAT actually destroys the city (because there is still TONS underneath the city) and why a single dragon did that amount of ridiculous destruction when you see it can't even burn through rubble in The Long Night against Jon. That's why Jon's reaction about retreating is what it is, they freak about unexpected wildfire explosions, not their queen burny burning. There are conversations from the special effects teams about all the fire being green and how it was changed at the "last minute". There is also some script that was in some Guild Actor's vault or something that they didn't swap out with the one they went with that was a much better story.

On topic, there can't be a Red Wedding type surprise. Things get datamined so easily and spoiled that there would never be any surprise about it.
    Last edited by EyelessCrow; 2021-01-14 at 09:34 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    So there I was...in the Silithus desert...hundreds of miles from civilization...
    The Red Wedding was terribly written and this game already has enough of that. Hard pass.

If anything, this game needs more focus on character development over an expansion cycle. That way we don't end up with forced situations we're seeing now, such as Sylvannas hesitating EVEN FOR A MOMENT at Anduin's recent dialogue with her. There has been no set-up for Sylvannas's remaining humanity and it's just bad writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    I didn't know the world had quotas for deaths within a family. Certainly good news
    its a basic story structure element,anduin dying now makes no sense after losing his father to build him up,you dont kill a character when you clearly planed things for them and their character arc,unless you are complete hacks story telling wise,but knowing blizz it wouldnt surprise me

its like buying ingridience for a cake,getting evrything ready,starting the oven but instead of putting it in the oven you take the cake and drop it on the floor

No, barely any story needs a senseless cast-cutting event like a red wedding. Especially with the writing skills of the WoW crew..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Blizzard is about as subtle as a bull elephant when it comes to story telling. I doubt they would be able to pull off any sort of meaningful surprise.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Didn't we have enough shock value writing recently?

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    That's wrong though. We didn't know that there was an afterlife (for all mortals). We do now, but before the Shadowlands were just a place with spooky ghosts where DKs got their horses. If it was common sense that there was an afterlife, the suicide rate in Azeroth would probably skyrocket. Why living a life where your family was slaugthered by orcs, if you could live with them in the afterlife?
    We absolutely knew there was an afterlife. Spirits constantly are present and traveling in Azeroth and in Draenor. This is a constant. We even got a confirmation in Odyn's and Helya's after life zones. The fact spirits were called back. Souls trapped in soulmoure... the very existence of warlock soul magic. The suicide argument is rather silly, if anything I believe it would make people fight even harder to live.

I'm really hoping that everyone we've saved from Torghast have became sleeper cell agents for the Jailer's Wraith ushering his victory in a patch preceding the final patch.
    Last edited by Lavey; 2021-01-15 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    I don't know how anyone over 18 can still care about this story, honestly. Have you seen the covenant finales? It's so cheesy that you can't possibly take it seriously. The writers themselves are screaming at you to stop taking this shit seriously whenever someone like Kel'thuzad blurts out "FooOOooOOols!!!!!" in the most ridiculous fashion.
    The game is not made for adults but for all ages including +12. It's always been told with young kids in mind.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    This game isn't some grim dark bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    What...kids crying on the ground as their parents are impaled on the walls by pikes and people being burned alive wasn't edgy enough?

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    We DEFINITELY need a shock factor death in this game and sorry to say this but i honestly agree with it being either anduin or jaina. it's PERFECT.
    I think last time we had shock factor/ red wedding surprise moments were the intro to Legion where so many big characters got offed at once.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

3+ Year Old Account
    We had Teldrassil, and look how that went. Not edgy enough I guess...?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broombot View Post
    Sylvannas has long out worn her welcome but she isn't the only lore character who has been around forever for the sake of it. I think when we are first questing in shadowlands and the Jailer drops Baine, there was an opportunity to kill Baine right there. I don't have anything against Baine at all but that would've done leaps and bound for making the Jailer feel like a really evil and bad being. Currently he seems like a pissy guy who maybe Sylvannas is going to betray, but i certainly don't feel like "oh god this guys going to ruin and rule the world if we don't do something"

I don't want characters to die for nothing, I just don't feel the overall threat looming yet. I am however enjoying most of the expansion
    I want them to kill off another major alliance character. Horde has already lost Saurfang, Vol'jin, and Garrosh, while Alliance has only lost Varian. Give equanimity to the Horde already.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

That would require good and consistent writing, so no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    its a basic story structure element,anduin dying now makes no sense after losing his father to build him up,you dont kill a character when you clearly planed things for them and their character arc,unless you are complete hacks story telling wise,but knowing blizz it wouldnt surprise me

its like buying ingridience for a cake,getting evrything ready,starting the oven but instead of putting it in the oven you take the cake and drop it on the floor
    No, as long as they could make the story keep being interesting it would make the story unpredictable and people would sit at the edge of the seats during events instead of leaning back and watching some boring ass mumbo jumbo cartoon villain bullshit (I AM DEATH, I AM DEATHWING, I AM THE NIGHTMARE, I AM THE AM etcetcetcetc) from a big baddie and having our heroes bellow words of heroism without a care in the world. Business as usual. Stable, but fucking boring. Blizzard are hacks already and you know it.
    Last edited by Stormwolf64; 2021-01-15 at 05:00 AM.

They kill off way too many characters who have potential to have more interesting stories. Then they make new characters I don't really give a fuck about and write them like I'm supposed to, like Zappy Boi.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Cool. Thanks for the Thread