Switching to AMD and need tups

For the first time in years I'll finally be able to spend my income tax check on myself instead of Bills. My plan is to upgrade my 5 year old PC to an AMD Ryzen5000 build. The problem is I'm a complete novice when it comes to AMD however I'm a PC enthusiast otherwise.

Could someone suggest a new CPU, Mobo and RAM combo. I'd like to go with an 8-core and at least 16GB RAM. Budget is around $900/1000

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you already have a CPU cooler? I included one in case you don't. I also chose the 12 core Ryzen 5900X, that's an easy ~$100 less if you go with the 8 core 5800X instead. However the 5900X is better bang for your buck IF you can find either of them at a price that isn't massively inflated. Either one is gonna be hard to get.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($550.00)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory ($186.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $986.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-18 14:29 EST-0500

Thank you i'll look into everything but as you said might be hard to get the new CPUs atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Do you already have a CPU cooler? I included one in case you don't. I also chose the 12 core Ryzen 5900X, that's an easy ~$100 less if you go with the 8 core 5800X instead. However the 5900X is better bang for your buck IF you can find either of them at a price that isn't massively inflated. Either one is gonna be hard to get.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($550.00)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory ($186.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $986.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-18 14:29 EST-0500
    Oh yeah I forgot, one more thing.
    Since I haven't had to do it in years I don't remember how the whole switching Motherboards/OS works. Don't when you switch Motherboards your brick your OS install? How do I install the new Mobo/CPU without having to do a fresh install?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot, one more thing.
    Since I haven't had to do it in years I don't remember how the whole switching Motherboards/OS works. Don't when you switch Motherboards your brick your OS install? How do I install the new Mobo/CPU without having to do a fresh install?
    I assume you have Windows 10? It depends a little on if it's a retail or OEM version afaik.

If you go to activation settings, does it say "Windows is activated with a digital license and linked to your Microsoft account"? In that case it's no problem and it'll activate just fine. Even if it's OEM it should still work but it'll be harder or impossible to activate.

That said, I'd recommend a fresh install when doing a major system change.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Even if it's OEM it should still work but it'll be harder or impossible to activate.
    Just call Microsoft, that what I did and they gave me a long ass number to use and activate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Just call Microsoft, that what I did and they gave me a long ass number to use and activate it.
    I think you will have to reinstall the OS that you are using.