Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

EU: Vaccination passports soon to be a real thing

The EU is planning to have people get vaccination passports, as a check wether or not a person is corona vaccinated or not.
    These can be demanded by countries, in order to travel, but also by shops, restaurants, festivals, etc. to be allowed entry.
    Now this raises an interesting discussion.

Personally i'm all for, but IF this thing comes to pass, we are not far away from also demanding this for other vaccinations like measles and other spreadable diseases. How will this affect 'freedom' (i dont think putting others in danger is your right to excert freedom but hey) of people who dont vaccinate their children for whatever reason?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/04/t...passports.html
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2021-02-26 at 08:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    The EU is planning to have people get vaccination passports, as a check wether or not a person is corona vaccinated or not.
    These can be demanded by countries, in order to travel, but also by shops, restaurants, festivals, etc. to be allowed entry.

Personally i'm all for, but IF this thing comes to pass, we are not far away from also demanding this for other vaccinations like measles and other spreadable diseases. How will this affect 'freedom' (i dont think putting others in danger is your right to excert freedom but hey) of people who dont vaccinate their children for whatever reason?
    Source? I know some countries are working on it. But i haven't heard from an EU wide initiative

I am tired of people interpreting the word "freedom" as do whatever comes to mind/screw others/my tinfoil hat has rights!
    Go for it, expect some protests, but fricking go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the moment I'm against it, simply because there hasn't been enough vaccines to cover anywhere near the entire population. Once there's been a rollout to a large majority of people, I'd be all for it though.

And then if people are stupid and refuse to be vaccinated, they can continue to sit at home and cry that they can't go have fun while the rest of us enjoy the personal liberties we used to have before Corona locked everything down.

As for similar passports for other vaccinations: Sure. But there needs to be an exception if you for medical reasons can't get a vaccine, like a compromised immune system or similar. Anti-vaxxers are stupid and should be treated as such

10+ Year Old Account

You answered your own question.

One's personal freedom ends where another one's begin. One is not free to be irresponsible with other people's health.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    Have to carry this one with me everytime I cross borders in Africa or between other tropical countries.

Anymore drama you want to get labeled as nonsense?
    I was just about to post this exact thing, this has existed as long as I have been alive even though AFAIK in this case yellow fever is largely gone.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have a right to enter another country. If people don't vaccinate their children without a solid reason, and they can't travel abroad because of that, that's their problem.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm mused over this idea. Interesting to see it being considered being put in place.

I am concerned that it could be easy to forge one, so i'd be interested in seeing how they will prevent that.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    Except some of us do have right to enter another country.
    That right can be revoked if you don't comply with new requirements.

Except some of us do have right to enter another country.
    Last I check the individual countries in the EU are still sovereign.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I have swedish and thai citizenship. Neither of them can stop me from entering if I travel between them.
    Any other country can though.

And if airlines started requiring proof of vaccination, you wouldn't be able to move between Thailand and Sweden.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I mean. I personally think vaccinations shouldn't be a choice. Only real medical exemptions should be allowed. Everyone else should HAVE to get them.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    For the moment I'm against it, simply because there hasn't been enough vaccines to cover anywhere near the entire population. Once there's been a rollout to a large majority of people, I'd be all for it though.
    Agreed, and that's also why WHO have tried to delay it.

Issuing vaccine passports at the moment would primarily create a market for false ones (similarly as for the tests), and cause even more queue-cutting.

(Ideally they can then be digital so you don't have to carry around a flimsy paper.)

Nope.
    I am a citizen in sweden and Thailand. Can't deny citizens entry.
    They physically can.
    What happens after the fact is up to you and your lawyer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think those referred to "anti vaxx" mainly are concerned with the content of the vaccine, and the positive negative effects long term, not against vaccines themselves which are important
    This is rational, as opposed to being irrational and accepting a vaccine from anyone regardless of its content
    just because of the fact that a vaccine is an important protection -> so all vaccines are good
    I feel there's a majority of those people, therefore there won't be mandatory vaccines without protests fortunately (unless the vaccines are proven to have positive effects; we didn't had this problem in the past when trust was somewhat existing)
    Last edited by Cæli; 2021-02-04 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    The vaccines in question are absolutely not coming from "anyone" and their contents go through extensive testing, just like any other.

These are standard vaccines we are talking about, not a shot you bought from a shady guy behind a supermarket.
    certainly
    the main issue is that trust barely exist anymore, and it's hard to prove that a thing like a vaccine is safe for the average person, without relying on trusting those who just say "it's safe"

I think it's a good idea, and I wouldn't mind if it also applied to other infectious diseases. Anti-vaxxers cause unnecessary pain and deaths to others.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    certainly
    the main issue is that trust barely exist anymore, and it's hard to prove that a thing like a vaccine is safe for the average person, without relying on trusting those who just say "it's safe"
    Not like there are decades of evidence to show it.........

Don't cater to stupid people.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Not like there are decades of evidence to show it.........

Don't cater to stupid people.
    all vaccines are not the same, is the issue with that
    the covid vaccines only exist since recently, etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    all vaccines are not the same, is the issue with that
    And? name a vaccine that is the issue. whats the rate of it "causing harm" vs what the illness it prevents would do.