Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin refuse to get rid of the Filibuster

Moderate Conservative Democrats refuse to work with Democrats.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/96062...ster-stalemate
    Last edited by szechuan; 2021-01-27 at 03:38 AM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Moderate Conservative Democrats refuse to work with Democrats.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/96062...ster-stalemate
    It's good we moved and the Senate can get to work. Not sure why this needs it's own thread.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So they saw reason and decided not to buttfuck themselves in the future for short gains now?

you say "kill the fillibuster!" and I say "what happens when the opposition has 51 votes."
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

How much you wanna bet that in the same 50/50 split but with a Republican VP...McConnell would be like "There is no place in democracy for the filibuster"?

This just seems like a planned strategy playing out, honestly. I'm not reading too much into it.

Even without removing it they can still pass big legislation so there's really no excuse for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    So they saw reason and decided not to buttfuck themselves in the future for short gains now?

you say "kill the fillibuster!" and I say "what happens when the opposition has 51 votes."
    Nuclear is on the table, and will be used if GoP go full obstruction. McConnell blinked. He got out played, last few years by trump, now by schumer, guy's lost more then a step.

As for what happens when republicans have 51 votes? They just pass tax cuts for the uber rich like they always do, this time just easier. Your argument isn't really well thought out.

Haven’t the republicans proves they don’t give a fuck? Why are people acting like they do? “But the republicans will abuse their power” oh? That didn’t already happen? A

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Nuclear is on the table, and will be used if GoP go full obstruction. McConnell blinked. He got out played, last few years by trump, now by schumer, guy's lost more then a step.

As for what happens when republicans have 51 votes? They just pass tax cuts for the uber rich like they always do, this time just easier. Your argument isn't really well thought out.
    according to your propaganda machines, the democrats were the only thing saving us from going super double hitler. so if you drop the filibuster and they get 51 then it's apocalypse time.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

They're going to be at their feet thanking them when Republicans retake the Senate and House. Trump had the most impact on the federal bench of any president in centuries because Reid dropped the judicial philibuster. You better believe the next Republican populist is gonna push through something on immigration or abortion or whatnot on a filibuster-less Senate that will make your jaws drop.

It's the ultimate all-in strategy that the Democrats will never lose the House and Senate in our lifetimes.

Just a few weeks ago Trump and some republicans tried to overthrow US democracy and install him as an unelected dictator. While Trump didn't manage to kill as many people as a double hitler would, I'm sure he would have given it his best try with more time.

This shit here with the filibuster is just a political game being played out. Don't hate too much on Sinema/Manchin (at least for this) since it was almost certainly discussed beforehand.

I for one welcome our Senate co-leaders Cinema and Manchin overlords...

But for real, do they...just not want to get stuff done? Or only get done what can be done through reconciliation? Or do they just want to be the fulcrum that everything has to go through?

Let's get Manchin a damn stadium if we need to, shit.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    They're going to be at their feet thanking them when Republicans retake the Senate and House.
    "Only the Democrats can remove the filibuster! Republicans would never do that when they considered it advantageous to their agenda!"

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

This is just politics as usual, they're still willing to consider it if McConnell tries his old obstructionism tricks, which obviously he will, this was just to defuse the current situation. Some people are speculating they were told to make these statements publicly by Schumer.

In any case, they would just need to have their palms greased to change that vote.

I suspect the Democrats will hold off on the nuclear option and instead use the threat of it as a cudgel to force Republicans to come to the table. Same outcome in effect, but the filibuster remains in case they lose control of the Senate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    This is just politics as usual, they're still willing to consider it if McConnell tries his old obstructionism tricks, which obviously he will, this was just to defuse the current situation. Some people are speculating they were told to make these statements publicly by Schumer.

In any case, they would just need to have their palms greased to change that vote.

I suspect the Democrats will hold off on the nuclear option and instead use the threat of it as a cudgel to force Republicans to come to the table. Same outcome in effect, but the filibuster remains in case they lose control of the Senate.
    But the repulibcans could remove it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    They're going to be at their feet thanking them when Republicans retake the Senate and House. Trump had the most impact on the federal bench of any president in centuries because Reid dropped the judicial philibuster. You better believe the next Republican populist is gonna push through something on immigration or abortion or whatnot on a filibuster-less Senate that will make your jaws drop.

It's the ultimate all-in strategy that the Democrats will never lose the House and Senate in our lifetimes.
    So basically this would mean we get little done now and then NOTHING done later. Wonderful.

It's just stupid since McConnell will block any major legislation, which in turn the voters will get pissed at a "no nothing" Congress and vote Sinema and perhaps Manchin out. I really wish Manchin would take one for the team and have voted for this and if he lost because of this we just give him some cushy political job.

West Virginia still votes for him besides being the most red state, which I find a little odd they don't go full Republican.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Hey!!! Guess what gop filibustering !

I don't understand the filibuster btw. You have elections, whatever party wins should be able to legislate... but then the minority filibusters what they don't like and nothing gets done. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I don't understand the filibuster btw. You have elections, whatever party wins should be able to legislate... but then the minority filibusters what they don't like and nothing gets done. Bizarre.
    yeah it's pretty dumb.

Better yet! Part of the majority says they don't want to get rid of the filibuster because then their enemies will just ram things against their will so everyone resolves to do things at a snail's pace while people die... unless Wallstreet needs money... and banks... or if they need to confirm judges?

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue is procedural filibuster... I think what we see now is a bastardized version that in my opinion is unconstitutional, even if it makes me sound like an originalist. The intent was to give the minority time to present their case on why their side is right. It was supposed to last until either enough are convinced to get the vote through or the opposition party runs out of shit to say.

Making it procedural, completely negates the point... how about republicans stand there and tell us why covid relief bill is bad, for several days straight? Convince us...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi