Tell me Star Trek doesn't feel like DnD space??

it's uncanny - though i wish someone would do a proper DnD series, whether they choose one of the game settings like NWN, Warhammer, ESO or even Warcraft - although i wouldn't like them to do Warcraft, I think it would be messed up if it were Warcraft.

WAs watching Enterprise, and it has struck since I saw TNG, that Vulcans are basically high elves Klingons orcs and Telerites are Dwarves , since no video game has ever actually done a proper series show based on that sort of fantasy world - which is a bit surprising given the success of LotR and how warcraft's fantasy setting hit so well. (well I guess they did do Shanara - that was popular, and looked amazing, but the adaptation as well as acting and to a less extent scripting was another thing)

Still star trek has 100s of episodes to explore the character of these races, the Klingons are the most well known ones, and they seem to flesh out in many ways what Warcraft's orcs (the best version of orcs out there btw) should be like. Warcraft messed up the elves a lot, they just don't fit their descriptions - tbh, very few genres do - elves are supposedly super intelligent, long lived or immortal and extremely skilled, yet not invulnerable - only Tolkein seemed ot get them right for what they are described as.. yet the Vulcans, well they are their own thing like most of these franchises deal with elves in their own way, but Vulcans are much better put together and eventually fleshed out more in Star Trek enterprise as the best way to portray elves in a series.

Dwarves, well, we don't see such of the Telerites, in fact star trek is very poor at showing other races that are supposedly tight with the Federation, I mean it took only Enterprise to properly get close up look at both Andorians and Telerites for example - typically you have a token member of a federation ally, and off the ship goes exploring new worlds, while known ones are extremely vague. But they spawned nearly 10 series and more films too. And could go much further in that universe.

still no one does dwarves like Tolkein did and Peter Jackson's films especially in the Hobbit series. .. but the character of the Telerites in Enterprise, just made me think..omg, these are DWARVES !!!

What are we doing.

The Ferengi sort of feels like the inspiration of the modern sassy/capitolist goblin archetype.

Sci-Fi effectively evolved out of fantasy. It has a lot of the same tropes, just it uses science instead of magic to create wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    WAs watching Enterprise, and it has struck since I saw TNG, that Vulcans are basically high elves Klingons orcs and Telerites are Dwarves , since no video game has ever actually done a proper series show based on that sort of fantasy world - which is a bit surprising given the success of LotR and how warcraft's fantasy setting hit so well. (well I guess they did do Shanara - that was popular, and looked amazing, but the adaptation as well as acting and to a less extent scripting was another thing)
    LotR movies were massive success, but it took a Game of Thrones level budget just to make a light fantasy show see the same success...and it was primarily due to the style of drama of the show; the political intrigue, backstabbing, and shocking consequences. I'd say most people don't really give a shit about "fantasy" but will happily accept it as the frosting on a good story.

Problem is that too many shows use the sci-fi/fantasy setting as a crutch and can't seem to write engaging stories unless a book series already exists to get them started.