Thread: Myanmar Coup

Page 1 of 8
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Myanmar Coup

    Myanmar’s leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior figures from the ruling party have been detained in an early morning raid, the spokesman for the governing National League for Democracy said on Monday.

    The move came after days of escalating tension between the civilian government and the powerful military that stirred fears of a coup in the aftermath of an election the army says was fraudulent.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...KBN2A00VC?il=0

    This is some scary shit.

  2. #2
    Merely a Setback JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    27,153
    Hardly a coupe when the army has always been in control.



    But both sides in this case are guilty of genocide, so meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    it’s mostly a syndicalist fantasy that “the workers” are going to rise up, which is disconnected from the fact that “the workers” are your racist uncle and jerk co-workers who you don’t like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The election has passed and 58 million working class Americans stood up and proved that they are in fact your racist uncle and jerk co-workers.
    They really can't help but show disdain for the working class.

  3. #3
    Show the "proud boys" how it's done.

  4. #4
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Falun, Sweden
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why? She was always a puppet for them. She could only do what they allowed. Her hands were always tied.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    Why? She was always a puppet for them. She could only do what they allowed. Her hands were always tied.
    Because they’re dropping all pretense?

  6. #6
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Falun, Sweden
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Because they’re dropping all pretense?
    Oh, so it was fine when they pretended that she was in power?

    What the fuck.

  7. #7
    It's not like she was ever really in power. She was there at the behest of the junta, and they got tired of her shit.

    Their shitty people. She's shitty people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    Oh, so it was fine when they pretended that she was in power?

    What the fuck.
    No, but often when they’re pretending there’s a democratic process these types are somewhat restrained. Now that they’re dropping all pretense an already horrific situation is likely to get much worse. Wtf is wrong with you?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, but often when they’re pretending there’s a democratic process these types are somewhat restrained. Now that they’re dropping all pretense an already horrific situation is likely to get much worse. Wtf is wrong with you?
    Yes and no.

    In situations like that of Myanmar the real power players, as in "the Army" are usually less of unified entity than it appears of the cuff.

    What's likely happening is an internal dispute between the different power players in the junta, and the current puppet government is being ousted by another faction aiming to put in its own set of puppets.

    It's most likely just a case of "Out with the old, in with more of the same."

    I might be wrong. I have to do some reading up.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatmadaw

    Yeah, basically as I suspected.

    The Burmese military has a long history of various generals overthrowing each other and various branches and ministries within the military raiding and forcefully disbanding each other.

    This is likely more of the same.

    The military constitutionally holds by default 25% of the seats in both houses of the legislature, in theory guaranteeing that no single political party can gain a ruling majority as the army just would go into a coalition with the opposition.

    This time around tho it seems that a civilian party gained enough seats that it could legislate with no military support, so likely the military is going to tear up the constitution they wrote in 2008 and likely come up with a new one that gives them 50% of the seats or whatnot.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-02-01 at 03:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    3,753
    https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...278448130?s=20

    US really is back to normalcy. Back to being the retarded world's police, itching to get into a conflict in a situation that hardly affects them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Joe who?

  11. #11
    Yes both sides are nasty but make no mistake this is a serious setback for the country.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...278448130?s=20

    US really is back to normalcy. Back to being the retarded world's police, itching to get into a conflict in a situation that hardly affects them.
    I don't know, because military coups are almost always detrimental to, well, everything? Like being a stable trading partner, for example.
    Also, do as I say, not as I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...278448130?s=20

    US really is back to normalcy. Back to being the retarded world's police, itching to get into a conflict in a situation that hardly affects them.
    Given that just a short while ago you had the army in Myanmar spending allot of time killing Innocent civilians I would say that the US and every other country has a moral obligation in protecting these people.

    Invading a country because like Iraq and Afghanistan which both where relatively stable before there respectieve destruction is not the same as preventing genocide.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...278448130?s=20

    US really is back to normalcy. Back to being the retarded world's police, itching to get into a conflict in a situation that hardly affects them.
    Biden didn't fucking order in the Marines or whatnot, chill the fuck out.

    But the US, as any other self respecting democracy, has an obligation to use its political and economic weight to act as a moderating influence. Why?

    1. The issue of moral obligations. You know, the whole "see something, do something" thing. Looking the other way tends to lead to little things like genocide, especially in Myanmar.

    2. The issue of regional destabilization. Myanmar has been having issues with China on its northern border for some time now, the whole area has been a tinderbox for years, China entering the playing field is not exactly a stabilizing influence. It's unclear which way Myanmar will pivot from here, whether it's a turn to China on common grounds (common grounds like ethnic cleansing Muslims) or a hard nationalist government itching to pick a fight with China.

    None of it is good for the stability of the region, US economic interests and security of international trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...278448130?s=20

    US really is back to normalcy. Back to being the retarded world's police, itching to get into a conflict in a situation that hardly affects them.
    It's odd that you've been shilling for a guy who supports Nazis and violent fascists... but now you want to clutch your pearls and feign outrage when someone opposes a coup by an authoritarian junta.

    Adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...278448130?s=20

    US really is back to normalcy. Back to being the retarded world's police, itching to get into a conflict in a situation that hardly affects them.
    Yeah I saw that. Pretty amusing, considering their last adventure in Indochina. :P

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Biden didn't fucking order in the Marines or whatnot, chill the fuck out.

    But the US, as any other self respecting democracy, has an obligation to use its political and economic weight to act as a moderating influence. Why?

    1. The issue of moral obligations. You know, the whole "see something, do something" thing. Looking the other way tends to lead to little things like genocide, especially in Myanmar.

    2. The issue of regional destabilization. Myanmar has been having issues with China on its northern border for some time now, the whole area has been a tinderbox for years, China entering the playing field is not exactly a stabilizing influence. It's unclear which way Myanmar will pivot from here, whether it's a turn to China on common grounds (common grounds like ethnic cleansing Muslims) or a hard nationalist government itching to pick a fight with China.

    None of it is good for the stability of the region, US economic interests and security of international trade.
    The US typically has the most destabilizing impact on regions in the past 80 years, one could argue. It'd not be very nice to say that, but I can totally see how that's a blindingly obvious case to be made.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  18. #18
    Legendary! Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The US typically has the most destabilizing impact on regions in the past 80 years, one could argue. It'd not be very nice to say that, but I can totally see how that's a blindingly obvious case to be made.
    Blind America hating aside, what response would you like to see from the US? Should we congratulate the Military on a successful coup? I get you would like to see the US go away, but it isn't likely to do so. As long as it exists, it is going to have some sort of response, and I am not sure what response you would prefer to this one.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    2. The issue of regional destabilization. Myanmar has been having issues with China on its northern border for some time now, the whole area has been a tinderbox for years, China entering the playing field is not exactly a stabilizing influence. It's unclear which way Myanmar will pivot from here, whether it's a turn to China on common grounds (common grounds like ethnic cleansing Muslims) or a hard nationalist government itching to pick a fight with China.
    It's not exactly been a secret that for years the Tatmadaw (Myanmar military) has blamed China for covertly supplying various separatist and insurgent ethnic militias in Myanmar, particular the Northern Alliance, so this is very likely not the military trying to implement some "turn toward China" that had been flustered by the ruling NLD.

    In fact I think that has little to do with China and more to do with various civilian-political bulwarks the Tatmadaw have used to stave off reform, like it's proxy party the USDP, continuing to lose ground to the benefit of ethnic minority parties as much as the NLD. The Tatmadaw isn't just a conventional military with a far-right nationalist ideological bent; it's also basically a business, operating the two largest holding companies in the country, and an intensely corrupt one at that. There's a lot of money at stake for the top brass.

  20. #20
    They just put her there as a head of a dummy government to placate some easily distracted people and she played her part just fine too. Guess they got tired of that gig and it's not like those who decide are the ones who will be starving.

    I bet eventually down the road they will dust her off and put her in chair again given enough incentives.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •