Poll: Would you let SO use your account if they got banned?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If your SO got banned...

If your significant other or friend got banned from say Twitter or any social media would you let them use your account why or why not?

I’m going to say no. Could the ban be BS yes. But no.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Sure. I use my husband's accounts all the time. He does not really use social media for anything other than registering his games or talking to like 3 dudes he was in a band with anyway.

People who share social media pages with their SO have a clear trust issue in the relationship.

If my wife got banned... tough shit for her, and vice versa.

I mean it depends what the account is for. Just to archive some "subscriptions"? Maybe, I'd be logged in permanently anyway.

Actually personal shit where I represent myself online with my name? No fucking way. Just make a new account honey, I don't need someone being my imposter. Why would any sane person want to browse/post under someone elses name anyway, that is not just dodgy, that is just dumb. In that case, I think my GF would have deeper seated issues than being banned in the first place..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Literally nothing stopping them from making another account...

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    People who share social media pages with their SO have a clear trust issue in the relationship.
    This may depend a lot on how people view social media and age.

My husband doesn't really use social media. He's a bit older than me, and I am old too. We have almost no friends on social media- just a handful of family.

I could see there maybe being a bigger deal if we were of the generation that met people online, had a lot of friends that used social media, and what-not.

I think my husband made one post on Facebook ever. He bought a drum piece from some random dude. LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    If your significant other or friend got banned from say Twitter or any social media would you let them use your account why or why not?

Why the heck would they want my account? Wait out the ban or make a new account. If you're so bent out of shape about not being able to Tweet or use Facebook for a few days, you've got a serious addiction problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think extrapolating that account sharing means trust issues is reading too much into something that is probably innocuous for most couples. It's probably true in some cases, but there's probably plenty of situations where people just do it for convenience or lack of a need for a unique account. One could easily make the argument that providing access reflects trust, not a lack thereof.

I do think its kinda weird though since in most contexts, your name is attached and that seems misrepresentative or confusing to the people you communicate with. It's also pretty fucking easy to just... make your own account. I share no accounts with my spouse and although they have access to my password manager should they ever need it, I can't really think of any reason that would ever be necessary unless I, like, died.

Anyway, no. I can't really think of a context in which they would need to use my account and I feel like not being able to deal with being banned from a social media platform to the point you want to account share is reflective of maybe some greater issues or misplaced priorities. But also, realistically, I am probably way more likely to be the person in my relationship banned from social media anyway. (I would not ask to use their account because I am not them.)
    Last edited by Tziva; 2021-01-10 at 09:22 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Nope. They can just make another account.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

"NO", seems like the right answer. As a recent case look no further than: https://mobile.twitter.com/melaniatrump

Why? They can just register a new account on temp-mail.org and be on their way with a new account. Takes 2 minutes.

She wouldn't be my SO to begin with if she had personality that gets banned on social media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are they banned? Maybe they deserved it and should reconsider their actions or relax for a bit. So probably not. I feel like theres things that would need to be addressed before we consider sharing my account that's still in good standing because I did not do whatever got them banned.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I think extrapolating that account sharing means trust issues is reading too much into something that is probably innocuous for most couples. It's probably true in some cases, but there's probably plenty of situations where people just do it for convenience or lack of a need for a unique account. One could easily make the argument that providing access reflects trust, not a lack thereof.

I do think its kinda weird though since in most contexts, your name is attached and that seems misrepresentative or confusing to the people you communicate with. It's also pretty fucking easy to just... make your own account. I share no accounts with my spouse and although they have access to my password manager should they ever need it, I can't really think of any reason that would ever be necessary unless I, like, died.

Anyway, no. I can't really think of a context in which they would need to use my account and I feel like not being able to deal with being banned from a social media platform to the point you want to account share is reflective of maybe some greater issues or misplaced priorities. But also, realistically, I am probably way more likely to be the person in my relationship banned from social media anyway. (I would not ask to use their account but I am not them.)
    I should add:

From all the shared accounts I've seen, it's a trust issue, or a point of subservience where there's almost a hive-mind mentality. There's also the aspect of it being for old people who are just there to chat with grandkids.

I've monitored a lot of social media activity over the past few years, and I'm finding a dramatic increase in the number of shared accounts by couples who are younger, in the 30's and 40's range. And yes, it gets very confusing when they speak, because one doesn't know which person is being addressed. Older people will tend to sign their names at the end of comments, making it more clear. It's especially odd to see younger couples doing this, considering they came of age when the internet was already a thing, and likely already had access to social media before getting married. It'd be hard to convince me that a married couple in their mid-20's didn't have social media accounts before they got married two years ago.

I've also noticed that the overwhelming majority are conservatives, especially the accounts of younger couples. This is also something that struck me as an outlier. My company has looked through tens of thousands of accounts through the past few years (it's part of what we do), and the disparity is well over 85%-15%, conservative to "other." One can extrapolate that however they like.

For me, I consider social media to be like my wife's cell phone... it's not really any of my business.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This may depend a lot on how people view social media and age.

My husband doesn't really use social media. He's a bit older than me, and I am old too. We have almost no friends on social media- just a handful of family.

I could see there maybe being a bigger deal if we were of the generation that met people online, had a lot of friends that used social media, and what-not.

I think my husband made one post on Facebook ever. He bought a drum piece from some random dude. LOL
    My wife also doesn't use Facebook very often. Personally, I use it sporadically. But, for my company, I use it to monitor comments and behavior. The same goes for Twitter, and now... even Nazi Twitter (Parler).

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    No. If a SO did something bad enough on social media to get permanently banned I'd do a major re-evaluation of my relationship with that person. People don't get banned for saying they don't like the color blue. On the other hand, saying things like person X should be murdered because a hate group told me they are bad...is an example of the bar you have to reach to get banned, just to level-set the discussion.

My wife also doesn't use Facebook very often. Personally, I use it sporadically. But, for my company, I use it to monitor comments and behavior. The same goes for Twitter, and now... even Nazi Twitter (Parler).
    Yea, as I said, I think it depends on how people use these platforms. We are not the kind of people that use social media to communicate/converse with others very often.

We use social media more along with things you have to have a linked account for or having a linked account makes it easier to register something, et cetera. Reading some bit of information or event listing- we are big concert people for example and many artists announce their upcoming dates on these platforms.

I do think this may partly be generational. We both lived longer without social media than with and when it became mainstream my husband and I were already old.

My accounts represent me, not her.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I wonder why people are taking Twitter so seriously, In my book, Twitter is literally the toilet of the internet, so whoever want to use it

Maybe not my facebook account because I have some relative and real friend.

I barely use social media, and I'd hope I'd have the good sense to choose not to be with someone who is that obsessed with that sort of thing.

I mean sure, my wife and I don't really even have any social media accounts, and the ones which we do have haven't been logged into in years so, not like I would miss it. Can't see my wife getting banned though. I am much more likely to be banned than her XD
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/