Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You work for slave wages? What a shame. May I suggest you find a new career.
    Now you're playing stupid. You are the one working in your fantasy. And maybe you're realizing how idiotic it all is. Because industry will control wages in your libertopia. You won't do anything that business won't tell you.

Well Paid Scientist Dead Kennedys

Ah, even you
    You've gotta punch the clock, why don't you punch your boss?
    Ah, even you
    You just punch the clock, too scared to punch your boss
    When will you crack?
    When will you crack?
    When will you...
    Open your eyes, open your eyes, open your eyes?
    Pull up to your sterile home, you're drained
    Bite the heads off of your kids
    Chew them well, they taste like you, just slam the door
    Assigned here 'cause your company owns the land
    All your colleagues live here too
    Private guards in golf carts keep you safe at home?
    Something is wrong here
    You won't find in on a shelf
    You're well-paid, you're well-trained
    You're tied to a rack
    When will you crack?
    When will you crack?
    When will you crack?
    When will you crack?
    The dark shattered underbelly of the American dream
    Avoid it like the plague
    It stares you from your bathroom mirror
    Drown!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    At least we have a constitution to protect ourselves from the government. We have no such protections against companies as we've learned from social media companies.
    What protections from social media? What the hell does that even mean?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Now you're playing stupid. You are the one working in your fantasy. And maybe you're realizing how idiotic it all is. Because industry will control wages in your libertopia. You won't do anything that business won't tell you.
    If only people realized you can just choose not to work for the robber barons. It was so obvious, why didn't they think that?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

15+ Year Old Account
    One can get those things, as well. The issue isn't a matter of need, but availability. I need such things, so I buy them.
    Food, clothing, housing are not a matter of need, but availability?

wat

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Like I said we should try to cure them and take care of them without forcing anyone to do so.

You could point to billionaires and say they should be forced to take care of disabled people but the thing is you could arbitrarily say that about anything that you want. There's no real principles or virtue in getting what you want simply by taking it from a group of people that you don't care about.
    It's not that we don't care about those people, it's that they have thanks to society made a fortune large enough they are not able to reasonably spend it in their lifetime which makes no logical sense. After all, money and wealth are just as much made up shit as everything else, if society chose that for one to reap the fruits of it they have to pay a much larger share back to the public in whatever form that doesn't actually hurt them then that is their right.

Nothing here is force, the ones that need to pay more could just stop gaining wealth and voila, they're off the hook.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It didn't take long for Orwellian style dystopic laws to start hitting the US government.

15+ Year Old Account
    My dream government is centuries away, at best.

This is why I support this first step. Let's take it step by step. This allows people to choose to participate, which is a great step.
    So when are you going to move to nevada?

- - - Updated - - -

And I said that jurisdiction would be based on people, not on physical borders.
    Does that mean inescapable jurisdiction? What a way to spell freedom.

You have jurisdiction over everything on this land vs. you have jurisdiction over these people over there regardless of where they are.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It didn't take long for Orwellian style dystopic laws to start hitting the US government.
    Could you elaborate on this? Extra points if you could mention Trump’s 1776 commission and rejection of democracy?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

That is a real answer. Just because you don't like it, doesn't really matter.

if people willingly get abused, that's on them. Thy literally fucking volunteered for it. If a dude decides to get bitch slapped by a dominatrix, that's a choice he made.
    Come back to check and just like I figured, you still refused to give a straight answer that didn’t ignore facts.

Your term “willing” you seem to stretch to extremes to try and fit your fantasy.

And you still never answered the question before your ban. So, after your ban is up, maybe you can try again.

Here is the question. Since you support company towns and have no issues with bringing them back, how do propose that we prevent all the exploitation and abuses they led to historically? If you can’t answer this honestly, then you need to re-evaluate your stance on this.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Human Resources governance...
    I presume machismo is some kinda of "libertarian". That being the case when he uses words like "voluntary" you can just take that to really mean subservience to a different tyrant.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I see this thread was pretty much just yet another case of Machismo vs. everyone else....
    I think you mean Machismo versus facts, US history and reality itself.

He refused to even acknowledge the abuses they have historically led to and and when asked point blank how he would resolve them he would ignore the question entirely pretending every abuse was some how consensual.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

So, don't participate.

Hell, do it your own way, if you like.

Why do people just assume that you can go and quit today and have a job by tomorrow that's an equal replacement. You can't. That's why they say have 6 months of bills/grocery money saved up in case you do lose your job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Why do people just assume that you can go and quit today and have a job by tomorrow that's an equal replacement. You can't. That's why they say have 6 months of bills/grocery money saved up in case you do lose your job.
    because their analysis is a historical, a contextual and ignores the existence of class. The Austrian economists are especially brazen about this. Its all based on assumptions about human nature that don't hold up to any empirical measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    What protections from social media? What the hell does that even mean?
    What I meant by that is "they are free to remove or fire you for any reason because they are a private company". Extend that to their own entire city and you know what I mean.

Regardless of the morality, or lack of it, of corporations and company towns, none of those apply to the tech industry. According to the Hay Group, the turnover rate in the tech industry from 2013 to 2018 averaged 23%. The industry is notorious for its employees lack of loyalty. Talent poaching is common practice. The issue is exacerbated because most of the companies are headquartered in CA where non-compete clause is illegal.

Business Insider did a study in 2018 on how long the average full time employee stays at the biggest tech companies. Despite some of the best benefits of any industry in the US. I’ll post some of them with additional perks on top of financial compensation (salary, insurance, profit sharing, stock option, etc.)

Uber: 1.8 years.
    Perks: Free meals and snacks, unlimited paid time off, gym memberships, discounts for Uber and UberEats services.

Dropbox: 2.1 years
    Perks: Three catered meals a day, an on-campus gym, and cellphone bill reimbursement.

Square: 2.3 years
    Perks: Free meals, extended paternity and maternity leave, work from home options and unlimited paid time off.

Facebook: 2.5 years
    Perks: Free laundry and dry cleaning services, free bikes, free onsite dietitians, gym and fitness classes, shuttle services to HQ, free child care, and free housing for interns.

The free child care alone is probably worth tens of thousands of dollars. The free housing for interns are very nice apartments. Keep in mind getting internship at Facebook is not easy. You will be competing with top students from Stanford and UC Berkeley.

Airbnb: 2.6 years
    Perks: Free classes and happy hours, $2,000 free travel through Airbnb each quarter ($8,000 per year), daily catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner, dance classes and yoga classes onsite.

I skipped a bunch and saved the company with the best perks the last.

Alphabet: 3.2 years
    Perks: Free meals at all hours of the day, free cooking classes and speaker series featuring authors, scientists, and celebrities, onsite massage therapists, tuition reimbursement, Google buses...and get this: Death benefits. "Google gives the surviving spouse or partner of a deceased employee 50 percent of his or her salary for the following 10 years after his or her death."

What other company in the world does that?
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-02-06 at 10:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man, it sure looks like they really need to pay fewer taxes, I mean, they seem to struggle a lot with providing these benefits to their workers.

/s

So I'm avoiding the main debate here (because this is a terrible fucking idea that doesn't really need to be debated given history books exist).

But the thing with people in appalachia refusing to learn new trades or move somewhere that has jobs?

How are they supposed to move somewhere that has jobs when their only asset is a home in a dead town with cratering property values and they can't sell their house to buy a new one? How are they supposed to retrain when they have no funds for the necessary education to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    So I'm avoiding the main debate here (because this is a terrible fucking idea that doesn't really need to be debated given history books exist).

But the thing with people in appalachia refusing to learn new trades or move somewhere that has jobs?

How are they supposed to move somewhere that has jobs when their only asset is a home in a dead town with cratering property values and they can't sell their house to buy a new one? How are they supposed to retrain when they have no funds for the necessary education to do so?
    Bootstraps.

Because hey, someone else in completely different circumstances was able to do it one time, so clearly it's just that they're lazy, rabble rabble.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post

Just move to the company owned town and become an asset to them, it's your choice, you can leave whenever you want unless of course, you get children, then you have to stay there or else they starve because you have nothing and nowhere to go.

Freedom! Isn't it awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Just move to the company owned town and become an asset to them, it's your choice, you can leave whenever you want unless of course, you get children, then you have to stay there or else they starve because you have nothing and nowhere to go.

Freedom! Isn't it awesome?
    How do you leave when all they pay you in is company credits that are worthless outside the "town"?