Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Centralising all DC content on one platform is a mistake

HBO Max, new home of all WB productions, supposedly to compete with Netflix/Disney/Prime etc... they're pullign their shows from other providers like Disney did to build their own platform, but I think it's a mistake.

Does anyone else feel this is the apple v IBM saga again?

Harry Potter is going to HBO exclusively in 2023 once the current deal expires, we saw Disney do something like that. but having all your own shows only on your platform I think is a mistake. You want to reach as many people as possible, and have deals, tbh, the best way to approach this is to have a handful of exclusives only to your streaming network, but sell a lot of your content to other providers and channels resulting in you having all your shows on your streaming service, but a good portion of them are available on different networks and services. You could limit the number each rival has, spreading them around so you remain the place to get all that stuff + your exclusives.

And after trying Dinsey+ , you need more than just your stuff. compared to netflix and Amazon prime, Disney + is so thin, you get far far less, at more than half the price - even if it they're making all their stuff exclusive there, it's not worth it.

But they're so greedy now, I think it will lead to their ruin, they've brought up all the smaller studios, and many of the biggest franchises out there, to monopolise between themselves, now they're reaching for even more with this strategy, but i think it is better if you content was with many providers, and available in many places so as many people could watch.

But this is second place to making good content... if you pump out rubbish, you're going down anyway. Unless everyone pumps out rubbish, then you give the audience no choice in their entertainment but to put up with rubbish.. usually after a while, if not their generation, the one after them would take to the rubbish as normal and be shaped by crap. So either someone breaks the mould or we just quit entertainment completely and focus on our real lives.
    Last edited by Beloren; 2021-02-02 at 01:48 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you done any market research to back up your claims?

They have, I guarantee it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Sucks that every company seems to be starting their own platform, but thats the way of business. I will say that I initially scoffed at subbing to HBO Max, then they added a remastered B5, I dropped Netflix the next day and subbed to HBO, add in Doctor Who and all the first run WB movies coming in the next few months, and it was actually a decent deal, so they clearly know what they are doing.

There is also the other side, with how expensive licensing fees were reportedly getting, would other services even see the value of picking up some of their movies or series, if they have to pay through the nose for them.

I think when Netflix more or less had a monopoly as a streaming service, people retained their subscription practically indefinitely. But with increasingly greater competition in the market, people are more likely to subscribe short term, watch something specific, then move on to the next service, since all of them have exclusive content.

Exclusive content definitely brings in customers, I just wonder how it affects customer retention when there's as much competition in the market as there is.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I think when Netflix more or less had a monopoly as a streaming service, people retained their subscription practically indefinitely. But with increasingly greater competition in the market, people are more likely to subscribe short term, watch something specific, then move on to the next service, since all of them have exclusive content.

Exclusive content definitely brings in customers, I just wonder how it affects customer retention when there's as much competition in the market as there is.
    Indeed, the map is changing, and I don't think anyone can predict. what happens if now everyone just hops? Do you try to lock them into 12 month contracts ore ven 24 month ones like service providers now do?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    There is also the other side, with how expensive licensing fees were reportedly getting, would other services even see the value of picking up some of their movies or series, if they have to pay through the nose for them.
    Wait,.. didn't they intentionally jack up licensing fees because they'd been planning to shift to their own platforms anyway rather than the other way around happening? Basically, squeeze out the competition?

Yeah, I mean what does Disney, Apple and HBO know about business anyway......

15+ Year Old Account
    I doubt they'd be doing it if they didn't think there was a profit to be made.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Yeah, I mean what does Disney, Apple and HBO know about business anyway......
    They know how to peddle shit that idiots will lap up that's for sure. But law of averages shows just how many People there are of below average intelligence that will still subscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    HBO Max, new home of all WB productions, supposedly to compete with Netflix/Disney/Prime etc... they're pullign their shows from other providers like Disney did to build their own platform, but I think it's a mistake.

Does anyone else feel this is the apple v IBM saga again?

Harry Potter is going to HBO exclusively in 2023 once the current deal expires, we saw Disney do something like that. but having all your own shows only on your platform I think is a mistake. You want to reach as many people as possible, and have deals, tbh, the best way to approach this is to have a handful of exclusives only to your streaming network, but sell a lot of your content to other providers and channels resulting in you having all your shows on your streaming service, but a good portion of them are available on different networks and services. You could limit the number each rival has, spreading them around so you remain the place to get all that stuff + your exclusives.

And after trying Dinsey+ , you need more than just your stuff. compared to netflix and Amazon prime, Disney + is so thin, you get far far less, at more than half the price - even if it they're making all their stuff exclusive there, it's not worth it.

But they're so greedy now, I think it will lead to their ruin, they've brought up all the smaller studios, and many of the biggest franchises out there, to monopolise between themselves, now they're reaching for even more with this strategy, but i think it is better if you content was with many providers, and available in many places so as many people could watch.

But this is second place to making good content... if you pump out rubbish, you're going down anyway. Unless everyone pumps out rubbish, then you give the audience no choice in their entertainment but to put up with rubbish.. usually after a while, if not their generation, the one after them would take to the rubbish as normal and be shaped by crap. So either someone breaks the mould or we just quit entertainment completely and focus on our real lives.
    There was a meme that started going around about how Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc. were all out to destroy cable television and ended up creating... cable television.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Wait,.. didn't they intentionally jack up licensing fees because they'd been planning to shift to their own platforms anyway rather than the other way around happening? Basically, squeeze out the competition?
    Initially I believe they raised their fees because they could (and saw the popularity) and because Netflix would pay for them, because they were still making money off it. I'm sure as time went on and these other services developed HBO/WB/Whichever started charging higher fees to see if Netflix would still bite. I remember some of the HBO series suddenly being dropped (True Blood springs to mind) because Netflix didn't want to pay the higher licensing fee, and this was long before HBO had a streaming service in place.

I call it The Great Splintering.

Going from cable hosting all in one box to many subscriptions.

It will end up being expensive for me. ~ $50 for streaming, $60 for youtubeTV, I'm already at $110.

My cable bill was $200 including internet, no internet is $140. I've cut that. Just internet is $90 for me now (changed provider).

I think this model is better than the cable box model because Buying Power will determine these streaming services' success.

I just hate how all the "pennies" are adding up to be just as, if not more, expensive than having cable + internet.
    Last edited by Weeps; 2021-02-02 at 02:28 PM.

One day. people will get fed up with all the subscriptions. And One provider will find a way to put them all on one service. And call it cord or wire or something like that. And so the cycle will continue.

Honestly Netflix has been shit for years the great shows they bring in only make it 1 season and you never get anything from them again, but the Woke shit on one but the critics like get 15 seasons. So we just keep a sub or 2 going for Amazon, HBO, Hulu or others that are to come and watch what we want and then move on.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Honestly Netflix has been shit for years the great shows they bring in only make it 1 season and you never get anything from them again, but the Woke shit on one but the critics like get 15 seasons. So we just keep a sub or 2 going for Amazon, HBO, Hulu or others that are to come and watch what we want and then move on.
    They're probably manipulating data, who can prove why something is possible or long term results? just because you're very good at your job, doesn't mean you get it right all the time, nor does it mean you get it right on some of the biggest things.

These guys no longer think like you and I do... and gauge people's modes, they follow trends instead. If something is trending on twitter/reddit and normal social media channels, - creating a buzz, this is what they feel is successful and they pump the money there. If sales drop, someone is there to tell them it's not because people hate your woke shit, it's because less people watch shows and spend more time on youtube and tiktok - watching home made content - it's not your shitty content, it's the market that's changing.

The people with the money don't have a clue, they just hire these goons with fancy degrees and yesterdays accolades, and who lie out of their nose to protect their jobs.. so they ended up taking their recommendation and stick with it.

It's nothing new really, the trend breaks, when one person or group follows someone who actually realises and knows what's going on and gives them a chance, or they fight for it hard like like George Lucas did in 77 with Star Wars (long before either of us were born) , and then that thing is a MAJOR hit, then they start listening. But the false prophets and leeches have their hooks in everything...they'd call that guys success a one -off it won't change the industry today like it did in the 70s, - it's much bigger these days, and too many vultures have a stake in that pie. So it will take several hits for them to see that this isn't working and finally change it.

There is also the possibility that the powers really behind this, don't care about the money as much as you think, they're really after cultural and ideological change, because determining what people believe and think is far more powerful and certain of controlling, and they want you to lap up that shit, so no matter what you do, or how you buy, they would keep channelling their shit until you or your children or your grand children buy it.

Do you know in the 50s, people were disgusted with actually kissing on tv and any overtly sexual scene? Movies and shows that had this tanked. But they kept coming. Despite the great loss in money, those films kept being made and hitting theatres, though tons of people stopped going, , however it got the kids of that era, the boomers, and that was tv to them, so, in time, it grew to be the staple in content, and now western shows without sexual content is unheard of. it's just the norm. And the metrics tell them they need to have it on all their shows, and that's bs.. switch to Korea, the k-dramas that have none of that, and are still hugely popular not only there but all over the world, and you see that there is more than meets the eye going on.

And this is how it will continue with this "woke"stuff on Tv and games, yes, they are losing a lot of money, but they are swallowing the losses, to change the mentality and cultural norm of the upcoming generation, and when all your content is woke, all, and you can't enjoy the latest things without seeing it, you will give in, and just go with it so you can play your games and watch your sci-fi.. that's what they're counting on anyway.

The only way you win is if you quit these idols totally, don't buy games with that stuff, don't watch shows with that stuff, and when you have children, keep them away from it too, and just hope that someone out there is putting out very decent alternative content, or find a way to live your real life and make it interesting and engaging enough for your youngsters, instead of sitting them in front of a box to quiet them down. if real life with all its challenges and difficulties is more interesting and engaging, then the appeal to get lost in TV and vegetate will vanish. and eventually those companies would be forced to either put out actually decent stuff or go completely bust.

I’m getting on a rotation of the services: Disney, Netflix, prime, cbs, hbo, Hulu. Month on, consume, cancel and on to the next one. I’ve got my rhythm going now with calendar reminders and my “entertainment” bill each month is under $100 (which included internet). I’m sure we’ll be seeing bundles for $49.99 for everything within this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I’m getting on a rotation of the services: Disney, Netflix, prime, cbs, hbo, Hulu. Month on, consume, cancel and on to the next one. I’ve got my rhythm going now with calendar reminders and my “entertainment” bill each month is under $100 (which included internet). I’m sure we’ll be seeing bundles for $49.99 for everything within this decade.
    Yep, spot on, and in the UK it would be the ISP/Cable providers that will be giving you these bundles - tying it in with your internet bill, or your cable tv bill.

This is exactly where it will go.

This is the smartest possible move for AT&T and Warner. This is most definitely not a "mistake" in the grand scheme.

I do not work for Warner or AT&T nor does my company currently. However, AT&T is a former client of my day job so I can't say anything specific on this topic. I did not work on this either; just that this is a smart move from a business standpoint.

Personally, I WANT content to be in the hands of as few services as possible - because that way, the cost to me as a consumer is lower. Of course that would be in jeopardy if there was a monopoly but there's no immediate danger of that. I'd rather pay my $15 for two or three services than pay $5 to ten of them because everything is spread out.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Personally, I WANT content to be in the hands of as few services as possible - because that way, the cost to me as a consumer is lower. Of course that would be in jeopardy if there was a monopoly but there's no immediate danger of that. I'd rather pay my $15 for two or three services than pay $5 to ten of them because everything is spread out.
    I only subscribe to one service at a time. I did goof once and forgot to cancel my Prime sub. I wouldn’t be too shocked if that was part of the plan.

Hell I bet countries with less robust consumer protection it’ll probably be a pain in the ass to cancel. It’s every joke ever about cancelling Verizon writ large.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way I would consume any of DCs stuff is if it's on a singular platform.

Resident Cosplay Progressive