Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Where is the redline?

I just got notified by Blizzard that my Wow account was suspended. The reason? Inappropriate name, Braincancer. My older sister had breast cancer 3 years ago and after a while it spread to her brain and she died from it. This is why I named my Druid this. But because a few chuds thought the name was offensive, I have to wait for my account to be unsuspended and then name change my Druid. Where is the redline when it comes to stuff like this today? How ridiculous is this in your opinion? It doesn't matter the reason to why I named my Druid what I did, how is the name BrainCancer inappropriate? I'm pretty pissed right now over this.

This bait ain't gonna catch anything, bro.

Hey, I lost a parent to brain cancer. Maybe your name reminds me of a traumatic experience and I don't need that in my recreation?

It doesn't actually bother me, but hopefully that perspective helps you out

VERY low quality bait. Closed in 3............2...................1..............

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    VERY low quality bait. Closed in 3............2...................1..............
    What bait? It literally happened. This isn't an issue to you?

Quote Originally Posted by SonofNothing View Post
    What bait? It literally happened. This isn't an issue to you?
    No, Blizzard taking the appropriate action regarding an offensive name is not an issue. Secondly, this is absolutely not the place to discuss Blizzards infraction / bans.

I can't post it on Wow Forums..... I'm suspended. And explain to me how the name braincancer is inappropriate? What if a group of people decided your name was inappropriate, would you be cool with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just got notified by Blizzard that my Wow account was suspended. The reason? Inappropriate name, Braincancer. My older sister had breast cancer 3 years ago and after a while it spread to her brain and she died from it. This is why I named my Druid this. But because a few chuds thought the name was offensive, I have to wait for my account to be unsuspended and then name change my Druid. Where is the redline when it comes to stuff like this today? How ridiculous is this in your opinion? It doesn't matter the reason to why I named my Druid what I did, how is the name BrainCancer inappropriate? I'm pretty pissed right now over this.
    Yeah no, that one is obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

No, Blizzard taking the appropriate action regarding an offensive name is not an issue. Secondly, this is absolutely not the place to discuss Blizzards infraction / bans.
    Indeed. /10 chars
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Obvious? How is this obvious? Is it people being dense?

Yes, extremely obvious, and yes, I believe you are being very dense. For the record, their typical response to this infraction is a forced name change, you get to pick the new name. No ban. Subsequent infraction, particularly for the same offense, are likely to increase to a ban + forced name change (not your choice, randomized). This seems to take 2/3 free name changes before a ban.

There are two possible scenarios here: Your name was offensive to enough people and to such a degree that they reported you.

Or

You were behaving like an absolute tool, and people reported your name.

In either scenario, you are responsible for the outcome, and it is highly unlikely either scenario resulted in a ban, unless there is far more to this story than you are saying here.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-02-14 at 11:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The topic of cancer can be triggering to some, as well as generally hurtful or offensive to others. Following that, you got suspended, meaning you've already had a strike on your account. And before you bring up that a character with the word cancer in their name might be around on other servers, these names are reported by people and managed pr. report and not blanket reset.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yes, extremely obvious, and yes, I believe you are being very dense.
    And how am I being dense? You are literally catering to Blizzard atm. You feel that something is wrong, so it must be wrong. Nobody can question, nobody can argue it. That is you being dense. Plus the way to responded first, was being dense.

Oh look, fresh account made today with an obviously "oh so innocent" question.

Names with disease in it were always considered inappropriate. Since goddamn vanilla.

Also if you got suspended and not just forcibly renamed, then I bet it wasn't your first attempt. A guildie of mine had a sexual reference name and he got flagged for rename, not banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    The topic of cancer can be triggering to some, as well as generally hurtful or offensive to others. Following that, you got suspended, meaning you've already had a strike on your account. And before you bring up that a character with the word cancer in their name might be around on other servers, these names are reported by people and managed pr. report and not blanket reset.
    I do not have any strikes. The e-mail says multiple people have reported the name multiple times. And who says it is offensive? Who deems that? Anything can be offensive, that is subjective.

3+ Year Old Account
    What kind of a weirdo names a memorial character after the thing that killed their sibling instead of, you know, the sibling? You know what I think? This story is either completely or partially made up. Best case scenario here is you trying to justify your shitty character name with a half-assed sob story. Either way, well deserved forced name change.

I do not have any strikes. The e-mail says multiple people have reported the name multiple times. And who says it is offensive? Who deems that? Anything can be offensive, that is subjective.
    The email did NOT say that - it never says that. Your story is about to crumble - this doesnt end well for you - just walk away. You have strikes, thats lie #2.

Yes, extremely obvious, and yes, I believe you are being very dense. For the record, their typical response to this infraction is a forced name change, you get to pick the new name. No ban. Subsequent infraction, particularly for the same offense, are likely to increase to a ban + forced name change (not your choice, randomized). This seems to take 2/3 free name changes before a ban.

There are two possible scenarios here: Your name was offensive to enough people and to such a degree that they reported you.

Or

You were behaving like an absolute tool, and people reported your name.

In either scenario, you are responsible for the outcome, and it is highly unlikely either scenario resulted in a ban, unless there is far more to this story than you are saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Oh look, fresh account made today with an obviously "oh so innocent" question.

Names with disease in it were always considered inappropriate. Since goddamn vanilla.

Also if you got suspended and not just forcibly renamed, then I bet it wasn't your first attempt. A guildie of mine had a sexual reference name and he got flagged for rename, not banned.
    Ok, fresh account? If I am new to the site, I'm a troll? Clearly this community is a big bag of YIKES

You are literally catering to Blizzard atm. You feel that something is wrong, so it must be wrong. Nobody can question, nobody can argue it. That is you being dense.
    Or simply following the rules, as set by Blizzard...

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Naming
    Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard's decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

Lol you know why, but idk say you were using the Latin phrase for crab or braincrab is the close you can get to the previous.

Ok, fresh account? If I am new to the site, I'm a troll? Clearly this community is a big bag of YIKES
    Dont worry, with your attitude, your time here will be EXTREMELY short.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Or simply following the rules, as set by Blizzard...

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Naming
    Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard's decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.
    Yup, read above - this is a predominantly player monitored system - if you dont name your character something clearly intended to offend and annoy people, nothing will happen. If you dont behave like an absolute idiot in game, nothing will happen.