Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Maybe, although "very large" is very relative. Clearly for Blizzard it was not large enough to warrant the continuous investment.

Don't get me wrong, HotS is the only moba I ever got into, and I played a fair bit of it, and liked it quite a lot. But it was kind of doomed from the start, coming to an already very well established genre that was already starting to decline by the time it released, sadly. Their biggest mistake imo was investing so much in trying to make an esport out of it in the first place, imo.
    They couldn't be #1 or #2 so they got out. That's a business-101 type thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Thats how classic was and thats what people wanted.
    Yes, people sometimes want jokes. WoW Classic is still a joke.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by lolmmofuture View Post
    well, to each their own
    but theres a reason wow is not on top of the gaming world anymore c:
    Yet it is. Most popular MMO out there not sure what you're getting at lad.

well, to each their own
    but theres a reason wow is not on top of the gaming world anymore c:
    WoW consistently earns over a billion dollars a year for A/B. Shadowlands is the fastest selling PC game of all time behind Cyberpunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    It has been working though. I dont really know what can be classified as "cracks" in any concrete way. WoW just keeps chugging along. It's pretty clear from observing WoW for a certain period of time that the game has already stabilized to a working cycle. It goes up and down in a predictable way in accordance with the content schedule.
    The game is stale, long and short of it. Quests are mindless filler content that 9 times out of never go beyond the "kill x collect y" we've had since vanilla, raid / dungeon mechanics are almost entirely recycled now, classes never go above and beyond a typical builder-spender style, professions are still boring and unrewarding, and the only form of progression / character expression remains gear. And what are your rewards? More mounts, pets, etc...uninspiring to say the least.

Something like player / guild housing would go a long way, though I know anything that isn't combat is a four-letter word to people on this site (or they think Garrisons were WoW's form of housing, or at least, the best way it could have been implemented).

I mean sure, Blizz has found the secret sauce to do the bare minimum to the game to keep player retention to some level they are happy with, but as players, the game never evolving beyond this is not something we should want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wanted something for HOTS, but there is nothing. I don't care for anything else. They can even make classic WOTLK, still big no.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    WoW consistently earns over a billion dollars a year for A/B. Shadowlands is the fastest selling PC game of all time behind Cyberpunk.
    actually, im not so sure wow makes a billion a year anymore.... certainly not retail by itself

and fastest selling dosent mean most sold lol. its just a speed in 24 hours

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kereberus View Post
    Yet it is. Most popular MMO out there not sure what you're getting at lad.
    i wasnt talking about mmos, im talking about games in general

5+ Year Old Account
    actually, im not so sure wow makes a billion a year anymore.... certainly not retail by itself

- - - Updated - - -

i wasnt talking about mmos, im talking about games in general
    Also on the subject of MMOs. It's not easy to measure that with multi platform MMOs.

i totally forgot this guys

Legion timewlking and ToT timewalking raid

Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    As fake as this might be, I can see it happening, and when we get cata classic, we will get classic classic honestly, if they was going to do the "Classic" route id prefer them to stop at Wrath and not do any more as much as i love MOP id hate for them to split the team, I want my wow focus to be on making content for retail not Classic
    It is fake, Blizzard would never post a timeline 6yrs out in advance, but this is what EverQuest does and seems to be a good way to keep the game alive.

What basically happens is people come back in waves during their favorite era. For WoW I suspect it might be original trilogy... maybe a smaller return for MoP. EQ releases a small pack of servers every year on their anniversary, it's been less and less, but for WoW let's say that Server group A has 10 servers. It will be packed for Classic, TBC and into Wrath. As those servers slowly progress towards catchup with live (and likely it won't be 2 year increments for expansions but a year or less, so it's a rapid release).. the population on those server groups decreases, then they are collapsed and merged down to a single server, which then will collapse will all other 'caught up' classic servers.

Classic servers and main servers remain separate. They don't mix their progression or "classic" servers, probably for the reason WoW wouldn't want to put 2020 Scarab Lords in the same pool as the 2005 ones.

So yeah, look to EverQuest TLP (Time-locked Progression) servers as a model for WoW... WoW has way more active players, but people like coming back and rexperiencing with their friends the original trilogy or whatever era appealed to them the most... it's a good system for longevity.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wik...ervers_Aradune
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2021-02-17 at 07:05 PM.

I wish instead of M+ they had mechanics in place that made dungeons fresh and interesting. Islands-like AI for the mobs. Precedurally generated maze portions. Adaptable boss AI.

From the Q4 2020 revenue call:

Blizzard Q4 revenue of $579 million was slightly lower year over year as growth for World of Warcraft was offset by a decline for other titles and the absence of BlizzCon in the quarter.
    Now that is all of Blizzard combined but it is safe to say WoW is likely the largest contributor to that (particularly as they mention how growth of the game versus decline of other titles). And this is for one quarter. So it may well be safe to say it makes a fair amount still.

(Source: Activision Blizzard Earnings Call Transcript)

Looking back further, Blizzard's revenue for Q3 was $411 million, "driven by another strong quarter of growth for World of Warcraft." Q2 revenue was $461 million, again " driven by another strong quarter of growth for World of Warcraft." And finally, Q1 2020 saw Blizzard with a revenue of $452 million, and again citing WoW (though also WC3 remastered).

So roughly adding it all up, that comes out to $1.9 billion in revenue for 2020, with WoW a large factor for all four quarters.

It may well be that WoW makes close to a billion a year still.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    And where are those facts? So far they're only random statements pulled out of your ass.
    What statements would that be?

can someone link the tweet of anduin being killed by sylvanas
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I wish instead of M+ they had mechanics in place that made dungeons fresh and interesting. Islands-like AI for the mobs. Precedurally generated maze portions. Adaptable boss AI.
    One of the things that could help bring m+ to a wider audience(even though its pretty well liked as is) would be if they toned down on the punnishing added mechanics. The barrier for entry, especially on + 10, can be daunting to some people. I dont think its possible to really touch on the timed aspect though. The alternative would be tuning each pull to be very hard, so that you would have issues even completing a dungeon. That would make class stacking even more of a problem though

Quote Originally Posted by NHolICEn View Post
    Shadowlands 9.1 trailer leak

- have seen trailer for only WoW and only one time, not other IPs, just what I can remember
    - Sylvanas apologizes and effectively kills Anduin to turn him to their cause
    - Anduin is kinda lich king 2.0 but different, hard to tell from just the trailer
    - Yes he wields his corrupted sword and yes it talks to him, some soul inside?
    - Alliance turmoil with Turaylon on throne, the light is angry? was confusing
    - Looks like drust raid for 9.1
    - New torghast wing, powers, torghast world event
    - New maw themed 5-man dungeon with anima powers / Tyrande tie-in some how, just quick shot with her in the dungeon
    - 9.1 flying based on renown like they said
    - No new zone
    - covenant quest lines, conduit, new season
    - Trailer seemed story heavy and light on content, not sure what the hook is for 9.1 /shrug

enjoy
    no maw zone invasions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    This strategy would be REALLY retarded, either forcing classic players to upgrade to BC OR restart on another server. They'd much rather ust start new BC servers, then new WOTLK servers, with the option to transfer chars.
    hope this isnt true. the bottom2 are fine. i dont want anything after WOTLK. leave cata and mop and wod and legion alone.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    no maw zone invasions?

- - - Updated - - -

hope this isnt true. the bottom2 are fine. i dont want anything after WOTLK. leave cata and mop and wod and legion alone.
    I hope for the sake of people who want to continue on their classic characters that they can. Although i really dont see the point.

I think it would be odd to bring Classic up to Cataclysm - isn't the entire point to explore the Pre-Cataclysm style of the game and world? Cata was when most of the major changes to the style first occurred anyway, even regardless of the map.

wrath servers would be a perfect stopping point
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Literally all I want is BC Classic and a date for it.

Since they basically already confirmed no D4 or OW2 this year.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Literally all I want is BC Classic and a date for it.

Since they basically already confirmed no D4 or OW2 this year.
    We could get lucky and see a d2 remaster this year