Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
23
... LastLast
  1. #241
    Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chillen in Shal'Aran, under the Mana Tree
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Well technically 55.8% of voters voted for Abbot, and only 8,343,443 people voted out of 15,249,541 eligible voters in 2018. That's 4,655,641 voters, so 30% of Texans wanted Abbot if my math is correct.
    If true, I withdraw my comment and wholly support Texans who want a change.

  2. #242
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    People always die in cold weather.

    That is NORMAL, while it's not fun, it's part of life. Be glad the snow is just around a few days.

    This is like complaining that old people die during summers, summers are supposed to be...what was the word...warm?..
    What a coincidence, I was also criticizing California's response to the fires in summer - i.e. when PG&E's shitty practices led to widespread and unnecessary outages that resulting in at-risk people dying of things like heat stroke. It's almost as if one should hold the institutions responsible for public safety and welfare to account when they fail to do so by being negligent.

    I literally live in Seattle, dude - it's you who doesn't know what cold is. Rofl.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  3. #243
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post

    I literally live in Seattle, dude - it's you who doesn't know what cold is. Rofl.
    Seattle cold? That's cute.

  4. #244
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    What do you think happens if I'd be without electricity for a few days? I put on some warm clothes, light some tea candles for added warmth, read my books but no internet, oh the misery! practically dying!!!
    Uh huh, and what are you gonna do when the water you've stored in your bathtub because the mains are down freezes solid?

    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It's not.

    But it's cheaper to build houses that way because then you don't have to route the main through the wall and can just run 3 feet of conduit from the underground line up to the panel.

    The panel, which btw, isn't in a totally waterproof NEMA enclosure but just a Type 1 where the front panel just tucks underneath the top without a full seal.

    It's truly a masterclass of cutting corners to maximize profits and lower build times of houses, future consequences be damned
    In case you are curious. Here is what an R-38 insulated attic looks like from my daughter's project in Austin. Each house include geothermal heating and cooling, and solar.

    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-02-17 at 08:48 PM.

  6. #246
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    People always die in cold weather.

    That is NORMAL, while it's not fun, it's part of life. Be glad the snow is just around a few days.
    I see civilization hasn't reached your corner of the world yet.

    Where I live we have heated housing, and AC in the summer in an effort to minimize deaths. We also have these things called "convenient stores" where you can get food, so you don't have to store barres of supplies to last the winter, or have to go out in the nearby woods to catch it yourself.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    In case you are curious. Here is what an R-38 insulated attic looks like from my daughter's project in Austin. Each house include geothermal heating and colling, and solar.

    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/nLueQbd.jpg[G]
    Oh, I lived in Canada I know what well insulated walls, and triple-layered argon filled weatherproof windows are like.

  7. #247
    Frozen toilets? Ugh.

    I see that the "let your water run" technique only work to a degree.

  8. #248
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Frozen toilets? Ugh.

    I see that the "let your water run" technique only work to a degree.
    Running water freezes more slowly, but "more slowly" is not "doesn't".



    This is not "1-2 days of snow" despite what certain apartheid apologists might claim.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  9. #249
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    57,709
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Seattle cold? That's cute.
    Hey now! It hit 25 on Friday night... snowed for like two days, almost none stop... so what that it’s in the 50s and sunny right now...

    Edit: It’s 44... the sunshine tricked me into thinking it was in 50s... stupid birds singing, making it seem warmer!!!

    Last edited by Felya; 2021-02-17 at 09:02 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  10. #250
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Frozen toilets? Ugh.

    I see that the "let your water run" technique only work to a degree.
    Letting your water run also only really works until the water main break, which haha oops, some have.

    Reminder to the less home savvy that water gets trapped in low areas of the house, and can still freeze and break lines even if the main water supply is cut.

  11. #251
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Letting your water run also only really works until the water main break, which haha oops, some have.

    Reminder to the less home savvy that water gets trapped in low areas of the house, and can still freeze and break lines even if the main water supply is cut.
    I expect once things start to thaw the flooding insurance market in Texas is going to be put under a lot of strain.

    Like it nearly triggers me thinking about how many of these pipes now have cracks.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  12. #252
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I expect once things start to thaw the flooding insurance market in Texas is going to be put under a lot of strain.

    Like it nearly triggers me thinking about how many of these pipes now have cracks.
    And the plumbers to repair it. I wonder if they will be a massive shortage and ship people in?

  13. #253
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I expect once things start to thaw the flooding insurance market in Texas is going to be put under a lot of strain.

    Like it nearly triggers me thinking about how many of these pipes now have cracks.
    >Flood insurance
    >Post Harvey SE Texas

    Some broken piping will not out pace 5 feet of water over then entire area lol

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Frozen toilets? Ugh.

    I see that the "let your water run" technique only work to a degree.
    There’s more to it than that...

    - Remove all hoses from outside faucets immediately and ensure the outside faucet is off
    - Keep faucets inside the home running at a slow drip to stop water from freezing in the pipes
    - Keep cabinet doors with pipes in the kitchen and bath areas open to allow the warm air inside the home to penetrate the area
    - Set your thermostat at 67 degrees F or higher
    - Keep exterior and garage doors closed as much as possible to stop cold air from penetrating inside your home
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

  15. #255
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Hey now! It hit 25 on Friday night... snowed for like two days, almost none stop... so what that it’s in the 50s and sunny right now...

    Edit: It’s 44... the sunshine tricked me into thinking it was in 50s... stupid birds singing, making it seem warmer!!!
    I am jealous. It was -29F when I was driving into work last week.
    I am excited for the +20s this weekend!
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2021-02-17 at 09:11 PM.

  16. #256
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    53,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    >Flood insurance
    >Post Harvey SE Texas

    Some broken piping will not out pace 5 feet of water over then entire area lol
    Oh yeah I forgot that climate change was a thing for a second there.

    Apropos of nothing save my usual "capitalism sucks ass" shtick, the Houston skyline while millions of Texans were being asked to conserve power last night:

    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  17. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It's not.

    But it's cheaper to build houses that way because then you don't have to route the main through the wall and can just run 3 feet of conduit from the underground line up to the panel.

    The panel, which btw, isn't in a totally waterproof NEMA enclosure but just a Type 1 where the front panel just tucks underneath the top without a full seal.

    It's truly a masterclass of cutting corners to maximize profits and lower build times of houses, future consequences be damned
    Holy shit, that's sad to hear. Maybe because I'm living in a northern country and as such construction standards are higher by necessity, but that sort of nonsense would get you strung up here even if there were no law. Ain't no way I'll trudge through three+ feet of accumulated snow to get to my electrical panel because the builders were lazy assholes.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  18. #258
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Holy shit, that's sad to hear. Maybe because I'm living in a northern country and as such construction standards are higher by necessity, but that sort of nonsense would get you strung up here even if there were no law. Ain't no way I'll trudge through three+ feet of accumulated snow to get to my electrical panel because the builders were lazy assholes.
    Yea, that's what I thought too. Until we had a bridge collapse. But that's not really build quality that maintenance failures.

  19. #259
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Holy shit, that's sad to hear. Maybe because I'm living in a northern country and as such construction standards are higher by necessity, but that sort of nonsense would get you strung up here even if there were no law. Ain't no way I'll trudge through three+ feet of accumulated snow to get to my electrical panel because the builders were lazy assholes.
    I don't think you understand how lacking regulations are, and how easily the few that exist can be skirted.

    Imagine building houses in a hurricane area and not even bothering to put hurricane clips on the roof trusses. The things that would cost a couple hundred bucks at most.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Hey now! It hit 25 on Friday night... snowed for like two days, almost none stop... so what that it’s in the 50s and sunny right now...

    Edit: It’s 44... the sunshine tricked me into thinking it was in 50s... stupid birds singing, making it seem warmer!!!

    Boo this man!

    There's currently a trawler and a NOAA vessel in Smith Cove.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •