10+ Year Old Account

Likelihood of being stuck in lower tiers

How likely would I be able to raid Naxx if I leveled a character now ?

I played real classic as a Human Paladin back in 2005/2006 and cleared everything up until the second boss of Naxx because I had to quit to handle real life issues. I know many guilds were stuck with the MC/BWL curse, albeit it was for a multitude of reasons, i.e. terrible hardware/connections/lack in player skill/raid makeup. And even then I wonder what the likelihood of people continuing to log on to raid after they have a main and an alt in full tier 3 would actually be.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Classic isn’t going anywhere.

Possible, but it'll take some effort. First the leveling, but you already know what that is going to be. Then you need to jump the PuG-train and gear up enough to get into guilds, or be lucky and find one in need of your class, thus helping you gearing up. Many raid guilds have already suspended to "naxx clear once per week, and some odd AQ when people are interested" level.

15+ Year Old Account
    Recently made a pala alt on a PvE realm to heal on sometime in the future if it turns out TBC/fresh is 6+months away (who knows).

I just do 20mans evey reset and try to join Scholo's for the libram (1000 healers need scholo it seems) incase I ever want to join a guild. No guild does MC/BWL/AQ anymore, it's all just pugs, so you need to play on one of the highest pop realms to have enough pugging going on. No guild will take you in fresh gear, so you're kinda stuck in 20man/pug/gdkp limbo for a long while. Kinda shit experience tbfh and I'd say it's not worth it starting at this point, wait for fresh which will inevitably come, and whatever you do pick the most full realm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Classic as the more social MMO compared to retail, gives alot of benefits by having "contacts" on one server than being on a server where you know pretty much nobody.
    If you play on a server where you know someone who raids actively, you could use that to your benefit with a new character.
    Else you kinda need to work for both your gear but also your reputation. You have to be the one to take initiative to get to the higher tiers and not expect those who run high end pugs to just randomly PM you and ask if you want to come. It also depends on the pug itself. Some guilds run pugs with other guilds together where a spot is nearly impossible unless you are a social in one of those guilds.
    I often see some random pugs tend to be abit more desperate near the time their pugs will start, which opens up the possibility for you to get a spot.
    Should you get in, then use that opportunity to build reputation among the puggers to get into the pug again or into other pugs.

Naxx has also only been out for less than a month but over time there is a possibility some will quit because end of classic or wait for TBC. This means more pugs will look for more dependably puggers for their pugs to remain active and not disband.
    --- https://www.youtube.com/citanoo
    --- http://www.twitch.tv/Citano
    * Former retail raider of <Pacifism>, <Forte> and <Envy>
    * Part of classic guild <APES> from day 1

Depends on what they announce at blizzcon regarding the future of classic and tbc, how much you're willing to farm and how lucky you are.

If you are very active you can probably be naxx ready within a month. If you manage to get into a guild and just collect loot from zg idol runs and maybe even aq20 if they still do, you'll be ready in no time.

If they announce both tbc and fresh classic it will be a very weird time.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically I have virtually no chance of playing Classic and gearing out character at this point. If I'm going to play TBC I should do it at the start. I wouldn't bother if they weren't offering a boost.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    So basically I have virtually no chance of playing Classic and gearing out character at this point. If I'm going to play TBC I should do it at the start. I wouldn't bother if they weren't offering a boost.
    Incorrect. You may not have a chance to get into naxx groups within 2.5 months but depending on how much time you have to level you should have no problem gearing from all raids up to aq40, maybe even that.

Now it's up to what do you want. If your intetion is to raid all of classic, well classic stays there so you can still progress through it and gear up.

If your goal is to play tbc, getting full naxx gear is barley going to mean anything at level 70.

If your goal is to get full naxx gear and the move on to tbc, yeah that boat is gone for you, though the actual date for pre-patch is still a guess at this point.
    If you want to get a char up for tbc though, starting now is the perfect timing to get your professions in order, not having to worry about leveling up to 60 fast in the pre-patch and even get a pvp title that is going to be unobtainable. Ppl will still do naxx in the pre-patch and who knows, maybe you'll be able to join a pug.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-03-13 at 04:49 PM.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nows probably the easiest time to find a raid due to people quiting.

Well, to be honest, if it takes you 2 1/2 months to react to your own forum thread you indeed have no hope of completing anything in this game. Also, your lack of commitment will prevent you from joining any pug either.

Good luck in tbc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    Well, to be honest, if it takes you 2 1/2 months to react to your own forum thread you indeed have no hope of completing anything in this game. Also, your lack of commitment will prevent you from joining any pug either.

Good luck in tbc.
    I like you

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Recently made a pala alt on a PvE realm to heal on sometime in the future if it turns out TBC/fresh is 6+months away (who knows).

I just do 20mans evey reset and try to join Scholo's for the libram (1000 healers need scholo it seems) incase I ever want to join a guild. No guild does MC/BWL/AQ anymore, it's all just pugs, so you need to play on one of the highest pop realms to have enough pugging going on. No guild will take you in fresh gear, so you're kinda stuck in 20man/pug/gdkp limbo for a long while. Kinda shit experience tbfh and I'd say it's not worth it starting at this point, wait for fresh which will inevitably come, and whatever you do pick the most full realm.
    giul im in on pagle does weekly gear clears of all raids for pugs and guildies every week. Dirty Deeds Pagle. so its about the type of guild really.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

I like you
    Oh stop it, you flirt

But if you really want to gear out a toon in Naxx gear, your only hope is joining a guild that will still farm Naxx in tbc to get more Atieshes. But you'd still need to put in a decent amount of efffort, since you need to be naxx attuned and have the gear materials.

Also, pugging will be a lot less casual in tbc, because it will be harder past kara/gruul. Most gdkps that run naxx now are pretty hardcore: reputation, logs, gear, its all needed.

So the takeaway here is commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    Also, pugging will be a lot less casual in tbc, because it will be harder past kara/gruul. Most gdkps that run naxx now are pretty hardcore: reputation, logs, gear, its all needed.
    So Naxx GDKPs are basically just paid alt runs to compensate for guilds that either run just a weekly main raid or have poor/intermittent attendance for alt runs?

TBC will prob shift to the retail paid raid boost meta for later tiers, and pugs/GDKP will just be for the prev tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    So Naxx GDKPs are basically just paid alt runs to compensate for guilds that either run just a weekly main raid or have poor/intermittent attendance for alt runs?

TBC will prob shift to the retail paid raid boost meta for later tiers, and pugs/GDKP will just be for the prev tier.
    Well, yeah. Look at it like this: just like retail people want the easiest fastest experience possible right?
    So would you go naxx with 39 randoms with half AQ40 gear not knowing the level of experience/skill of those people and not knowing you will even clear it 15/15?
    Or would you rather go with 39 people that are alts from raiders that clear naxx every week 15/15 in sub 2 hours?
    We are talking gdkp here which is a great source of income. You are not messing around with that, you want that 15/15 clear because the money is in the KT weapons.

Also, in classic gdkp will cheese the raid with world buff rebuffing just before frost wing. You don't have that in tbc. So the raid will be harder since it cant be cheesed.

Just like retail, if you want to join the best pugs, you need something to show for it and it wont be a bought AOTC achie this time around. You need substantial stuff.
    Don't like it? Make your own gdkp! Good luck finding good alt raiders that are willing to risk a shitty raid id for the week though because no one knows you.

Hard the solo pugging life in wow is.

Basically you will reach max level, and end up buying gold to get raiders to get you geared.
    No one will do so for free at this point. GDKP or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Classic isn’t going anywhere.
    No, but the players are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Best you can really do without busting your balls with either really bad players that haven't cleared this stuff yet (and they will have to be really bad bro) or buying the gear though GDKP which means you probably will be buying gold because I doubt your normal green guy off the street is going to generate 1000s of gold at this point in the game to compete with people with bot farms and many many months of working the system. But that is really only gearing..

Gearing really isn't that important to be honest. Greens and blues will smash a lot of purples from Classic in BC really fast. So you could do things like getting a character to 60. Getting professions leveled up. Working on getting a little gold so can get that epic land mount. Saving up some coin so leveling is smoother and easier once you hit TBC. Start putting that dent into the flying mount and crafted gear that will be on the AH that all will be pretty expensive. These things in the long run will do more for you than some BWL, AQ40, or Naxx gear in the LONG run.