BC Time Commitment

I would love to raid, and especially get Hand of A’dal, but...let’s pull off the rose-tinted glasses for a sec and actually look at realistic time commitments.

And I am just pulling this all out of 10+ year okd memory
    —Leveling via dungeons .... 50 hours
    —Grinding out exalted with all four factions...200 hours (edit: revered is all that's needed for keys)
    —Raid mats farming...not a lot, hour or two a week.
    —Karazhan Attunement...12 hoursish but a lot of it is also making progress on other stuff
    —Karazhan...those first few runs are gonna take a while...it’s like 10-12 bosses IIRC, min 3 hours/week, likely more to start. God a wipe on Shade of Aran is a ten minute walk.
    —Gruul...that’s actually not a big deal in an organized guild, maybe 30 min +30 for Magtheridon

Enh maybe it won’t be so bad...it’s a lot of up front time for reps but if a good guild can knock out Vashj without a billion wipes might not be that bad.

But fact check me, it’s been years.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2021-02-20 at 05:46 PM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Much like Vanilla, people have played TBC progression servers for years. The same GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO mentality is going to plague the living fuck out of TBC, the exact same as it did in Vanilla.

Raids won't last a week before they're cleared the same as usual.

Yah but how many hours have to be sunk in to it to make that happen? I mean even to walk in the door of Kara you're looking at a bigger time investment than it takes to FINISH a bunch of modern video games.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Yah but how many hours have to be sunk in to it to make that happen? I mean even to walk in the door of Kara you're looking at a bigger time investment than it takes to FINISH a bunch of modern video games.
    people will find ways to optimise the time and farming of rep and stuff,just look at AP in legion,the first raid was eaten alive because blizzard underestimated the lenghts players will go for more power and faster

If Kara is open on day one of TBC, I guarantee you it will be getting cleared week one. This is factoring in the time it takes to hit 70, and get attuned. This isn't 2006/7, people have found every little thing that provides bonuses for doing this quickly and efficiently.

15+ Year Old Account
    BC takes a lot of time. So does retail. The big difference is that in BC you almost exclusively play group content all the time (like it was an MMO... oh yeah it is an MMO), while retail forces you into a meaningless solo treadmill.
    BC is how the game should be.

I would love to raid, and especially get Hand of A’dal, but...let’s pull off the rose-tinted glasses for a sec and actually look at realistic time commitments.

—Grinding out exalted with all four factions...200 hours

—Karazhan Attunement...12 hoursish but a lot of it is also making progress on other stuff

You only need revered with all the factions for heroic keys. Also Karazhan attunement is mostly dungeons you will be doing anyways. I also don't think leveling is that long if you spam dungeons

—Karazhan...those first few runs are gonna take a while...it’s like 10-12 bosses IIRC, min 3 hours/week, likely more to start. God a wipe on Shade of Aran is a ten minute walk.
    —Gruul...that’s actually not a big deal in an organized guild, maybe 30 min +30 for Magtheridon

Enh maybe it won’t be so bad...it’s a lot of up front time for reps but if a good guild can knock out Vashj without a billion wipes might not be that bad.

There are too many variable factors to give any kind of actual timeframe, but let's assume you're in a guild of like-minded people who want to clear content.

Leveling won't take anywhere near 50 hours, 12-20 is a more reasonable estimate especially if you've got a Dungeon group that's clearing efficiently. Less if you're already Naxx geared going in.

Grinding Exalted isn't necessary for accessing any raid so aside from the few minor upgrades over Kara gear they're not worth focusing on immediately.

Raid mats including mats for Crafted Gear is probably the biggest Grind in the early game, EVERYONE wants Engi goggles and most Casters want Tailoring exclusive gear which have some pretty intense mat requirements. Once you have that gear though your only grinding is gold/mats for Flasks and Food. I'm 90% sure BC is when Battle/Guardian Elixirs are added and Flasks overwrite them so you're not spending 500g per raid night on consumables.

Karazhan attunement is long yes but as you said it covers a lot of your pre-raid gearing at the same time so you'd be doing it anyway.

Kara itself is not by any means a difficult raid and won't take more than 2 hours to clear even when undergeared.

Gruul and Mag as you say are short, easy raids that will be knocked out in an hour or so.

Again, assuming you're already in a guild and have people to play with the initial gearing grind will be a few weeks at most. Doing it all in pugs will take much longer and I would strongly advise against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    BC takes a lot of time. So does retail. The big difference is that in BC you almost exclusively play group content all the time (like it was an MMO... oh yeah it is an MMO), while retail forces you into a meaningless solo treadmill.
    BC is how the game should be.
    like what? those few weekly q most of which you can ignore (and one you can do by group content if you wish so)?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    like what? those few weekly q most of which you can ignore (and one you can do by group content if you wish so)?
    So I can ignore renown questlines and Torghast. Good to know

So I can ignore renown questlines and Torghast. Good to know
    torgast can be run in group, so its hardly solo content, unless you CHOOSE IT to be solo content...
    and YES you absolutely can ignore the ONE (rescue souls from maw, as the other one you will do by doing any content, pretty much anything gives anima) renown weekly q and you will be whole ONE renown behind, and we are past the point where it would have any impact on anything but cosmetics....
    sure, if you dont want to be the whole one renown behind, you have to spend whole what, 5minutes a week rescuing souls from maw... oh the horror... such a threadmill... you have to do something you might not like for WHOLE FIVE MINUTES A WEEK to not miss on cosmetics...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-02-20 at 01:04 PM.

What sort of rose tinted googles?

Who said that the old expansions required less time?
    The difference is that there the time consuming elements were usually frontloaded to the start of the expansion or optional.

You don't need every Rep faction on exalted, they only really useful item they less on Exalted are the rings (which are a relatively minor upgrade), the weapons are worse than anything found in T4 (exception being Tank druids).

You should petition Blizzard to offer an Attunement pass on the shop, to skip parts of the game you don't like.
    That's kind of popular these days.

I remember that you could sink a lot of time into BC but at some point it becomes a bit superficial, once you get to t5 you don't need t4 and when you're farming t6 you don't need to go back for t5, in that way tbc will likely require less farming of old content. while alchemy buffs and elixir masters make flasks cheaper, guardian/battle elixir limits the amount of potion stacking and how expensive each wipe is. on the other hand while I think raid logging will be easier to achieve, farm consumes and log till the next raid, you can also do things like the dailies and trying to get saved to all of the heroics, trying to do that each day can indeed become time consuming. but its not mandatory. each heroic has some epic item that can drop at the end and most classes will tend toward the heroics that drop something they can use getting saved to those first. if you already have t3 then most of the gear is going to be somewhat marginal until you get t4 gemmed and enchanted.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-02-20 at 02:07 PM.

You might be thinking from a 2007 perspective. I hope it turns out to be a f*cking grind and a half, where you inched your way through content, like it was back in 2007. However, most likely wont be considering all the been there, done that x10000.

Revered (for keys).
    Getting ready for raids will take 1 week of mild grind 8h/day.

After that it is doing daily HC for badges and then farming profession mats. Raiding will take 4h/week to clear all of T4 for an average guild.

TBC is much more a raidlogging game than vanilla ever was, after the first 1-2 weeks of prep are done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    torgast can be run in group, so its hardly solo content, unless you CHOOSE IT to be solo content...
    and YES you absolutely can ignore the ONE (rescue souls from maw, as the other one you will do by doing any content, pretty much anything gives anima) renown weekly q and you will be whole ONE renown behind, and we are past the point where it would have any impact on anything but cosmetics....
    sure, if you dont want to be the whole one renown behind, you have to spend whole what, 5minutes a week rescuing souls from maw... oh the horror... such a threadmill... you have to do something you might not like for WHOLE FIVE MINUTES A WEEK to not miss on cosmetics...
    Last time I went to TG with group, it took double the time. Not sure how it's tuned now. Also I don't want groups just to be in a group, I want proper pve that requires cooperation and strategy. TG isn't really such content, it's extremely trivial.

And no I won't skip on anima farm and war campaign, that would slow down the renown gain which translates to character power. That's not an option for me as I'm interested in character power and can't give a fuck about cosmetics.
    Last edited by Zka; 2021-02-20 at 04:53 PM.

Last time I went to TG with group, it took double the time. Not sure how it's tuned now. Also I don't want groups just to be in a group, I want proper pve that requires cooperation and strategy. TG isn't really such thing, it's extremely trivial.

And no I won't skip on anima farm and war campaign, that would slow down the renown gain which translates to character power. That's not an option for me as I'm interested in character power and can't give a fuck about cosmetics.
    they were probably underequiped or just bad at it, its not different from dungeon, people can make it take long or fuck it up completely, doesnt mean its single player content...

anima farming gives NO POWER AT ALL, just cosmetics, war campaing you could finish weeks ago, and now its doable within hours, literaly, and thanks to catchup on renown you can get all the renown you need from bgs/dungeons/raid/callings/world boss... so by doing content...

and maybe you should check what renown actualy gives before whining, because we are past any power upgrades from it... but still, if you dont ignore it you are "forced" to do single weekly q that takes TOPS 10minutes, if thats threadmill for you then mmorpg is not a genre for you... and if you think TBC have less "threadmill" than that you will be VERY dissapointed...

and anima weekly quest, as i said multiple times and you so conveniently choose to ignore, you can do literaly by doing other content - 2x weekly dungeon q and world boss is 600/1000 anima already ffs(not counting the anima from dung itself)... so few more wq/dungs/bgs/raid bosses and you are done... and if you dont want to do any of that, WHAT do you want to do ingame? hang around oribos and get rewarded for that?!

no offense but your "threadmill" argument is false, and your comment make it look like you havent even played shadowlands... everything you need except for the single maw weekly q can be done by just... playing, however and whatever you want... well i guess not by pet battling

anyway you will ignore (again) what i said and repeat your headcanon so im done
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-02-20 at 05:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are the consumable demands like? I play a Hunter, what would I be looking at using per pull?