Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Sure if we had unlimited budget and unlimited time, all those AND MORE could be made but at the end of the day, there's a finite amount of developer time/resources and they need to allocate it accordingly.

So imagine the scenario where Blizzard does all of that customization stuff. New allied races, more heritage armor, more colors, more hair styles, more tattoos, etc

BUT

No more game content for a minimum of a year: No raid, no more additions to Torghast, no dungeon addition or seasonal affix, no new land mass. You get just what's in SL currently the story is on pause for a year minimum but hey you can look fabulous in all the different ways now.

What would get more disdain? Lack of game content or Lack of customizations?
    If all the content you mentioned was good, it would be forgiveable. But it's not. So not only are we not getting more customization options, we're also getting no updates to soulbinds. Furthermore, the story for the next patch is exceptionally weak and just looks super cringe. Shadowlands is honestly worst than WoD now, imo. At least WoD had good raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    it feels abit unfair for the zandalari druids to have a completely unique boomkin form in contrast to
    all the other races that can be druids.
    I felt so bad for balance druids in Legion. Guardian and feral got a bunch of new forms and then they're like, nope, only staff changes for balance! I use the Glyph of Stars because I've always hated the moonkin form and that's sadly the only other option there is.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    If all the content you mentioned was good, it would be forgiveable. But it's not. So not only are we not getting more customization options, we're also getting no updates to soulbinds. Furthermore, the story for the next patch is exceptionally weak and just looks super cringe. Shadowlands is honestly worst than WoD now, imo. At least WoD had good raids.
    If next patch is defined as 9.1, then there are some errors.

• New Conduits and Soulbind powers within existing Soulbinds will be added.
    • Empowered Conduits will be added in 9.1, allowing players to empower existing Conduits for extra power or additional effects. This is still in early development, so no examples could be given.

As for story, we're getting a new landmass, new mega dungeon, and a new raid.

Wasn't the first patch of WoD the selfie camera?

Also, WoD had only 3 raids? So far we know that SL has 2... if they follow the path of BFA, we could see 4 raids (not counting Crucible of Storms)
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

• Empowered Conduits will be added in 9.1, allowing players to empower existing Conduits for extra power or additional effects. This is still in early development, so no examples could be given.

Also, WoD had only 3 raids? So far we know that SL has 2... if they follow the path of BFA, we could see 4 raids (not counting Crucible of Storms)
    The new landmass is an extension of the Maw so I really don't think it truly counts. Since as a result of it being part of the Maw, no flying. the megadungeon sounds dumb as hell and just reads like Blizzard trying to inject memes into the game. It's so fucking disconnected from the story and theme of the expansion. And we know nothing about the new raid but based on the fact that Nathria is trash and Sylvanas is a big part of the new raid, I have absolutely zero faith in it being any good.

Adding one or two abilities to existing soulbinds is exceptionally lazy and the whole empowering nonsense just smells like heart of azeroth all over again. As I said, at least WoD's raids were good. Shadowlands doesn't have any redeeming qualities so far to the point that pretty much everyone in my friend circle, people who have been playing since vanilla, have unsubbed until something GOOD is introduced to the game.

I don't get why, TBH. More customization is easier to implement than most content and tons of players love that stuff, Blizzard is shooting themselves in the foot by not having a couple devs work full time on, at least, kitbashing more options from existing ones and introducing a few hairstyles and doodads like glowing tattoos per patch. It definitely doesn't take more work than designing the lavish models used for zones, dungeons and raids.

I got what I wanted out of the initial wave, that being cooler Orcs and boneless Undead, but some races like Lightforged, Nightborne, Trolls and Worgen are still lacking compared to all that was thrown at humans, Taurens and the other 3 variants of elves.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

We got plenty of customizations. You'll live.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Man, i really wanted upright undead males or atleast fix the model so i can use some cool helmets without it looking ridiculous and awfully positioned

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Being deliberately arrogant is not cute or entertaining.

It’s NOT an expansion feature.
    It is a feature...it's why we didn't get a new race or class. It's what a decent chunk of the development was devoted to

And the fact it literally is in the features section

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    I'd be less annoyed by this if they hadn't half-assed it in the first place.

The differences in options between races is HUGE. They've done no real options outside of facial features (other builds and stances would have been welcome for some races) and even races like humans that they've done more options for, the faces, skintones and scars are all tied together in a bizarre way that makes it a total mess.
    The way features are implemented for the different races really does feel oddly haphazard and gives the impression that they had no real methodology to speak of with how to approach this.

Customization was universally well-received because it's content for everyone, not just the top 1% of raiders and m+ trolls.

Unfortunately Blizz thinks that seasonal content is better use of their resources than evergreen systems like customization. Most races and genders are dead in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Customization was universally well-received because it's content for everyone, not just the top 1% of raiders and m+ trolls.

Unfortunately Blizz thinks that seasonal content is better use of their resources than evergreen systems like customization. Most races and genders are dead in the water.
    I'm so glad they're adding to Torghast in 9.1 rather than iterating further on a far more popular expansion feature and instead putting it on life support until the uncertain future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    We got plenty of customizations. You'll live.
    More like after 15 years of beyond bare minimum even for the genre, we for once got a taste of mildly adequate customization, and even that was just for 4 races. And after that, they call it quits until such a time as it "makes sense" in their eyes to add to it. When it was an expansion feature, even.

- - - Updated - - -

So glad they're focusing on new Conduits and Soulbind powers. You know, those things players just check Icy Veins or something for to find the best for their spec and then move on with their day. That's going to be so innovative and really inject some life into the game for everyone.

Korthia is gonna be new Maw landmass + trees, the raid is going to inevitably be reusing tons of Torghast assets- it already is reusing the gear. The new mega dungeon I can't slight because it all looks relatively new and probably has plenty of work put into it, even if the theme isn't my favorite.

Also, WoD was a trainwreck even by dev admission. You can't keep falling back on it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure, resources aren't endless

But considering the amount of 3d work the community has pumped in less than a month sometimes, leads me to believe that Blizzard either is incompetent or they really don't care.

Specially when giving out new eye or hair colors. That's a literal texture change
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new landmass is an extension of the Maw so I really don't think it truly counts.
    Eh, but it's fundamentally different in design. Unlike the barren maw, this Korthia was supposedly a landmass similar to Ardenweald before it was yanked into the maw.

Since as a result of it being part of the Maw, no flying.
    Pretty sure Nazjatar didn't have flying at first either. Nor the Argus.

the megadungeon sounds dumb as hell and just reads like Blizzard trying to inject memes into the game. It's so fucking disconnected from the story and theme of the expansion. And we know nothing about the new raid but based on the fact that Nathria is trash and Sylvanas is a big part of the new raid, I have absolutely zero faith in it being any good.
    So far the mega dungeons, Return to Karazhan and Operation: Mechagon were decent. I'm willing to lend Blizzard the benefit of the doubt until I see it on the PTR.

Adding one or two abilities to existing soulbinds is exceptionally lazy and the whole empowering nonsense just smells like heart of azeroth all over again.
    we're also getting no updates to soulbinds.
    Moving goal posts already. And honestly until we see what's on the PTR, it's too early to say the extent of the changes. Sure maybe it's 1~2 abilities or maybe it's a new interface that adds on to the existing one. Legion artifact system saw an entirely new set of points added on top of the initial one. And we also saw in Legion the NLC system.

The bigger issue is that whatever system gets added that balance remains among the classes/specs.

As I said, at least WoD's raids were good. Shadowlands doesn't have any redeeming qualities so far to the point that pretty much everyone in my friend circle, people who have been playing since vanilla, have unsubbed until something GOOD is introduced to the game.
    Sure WoD had good raids but had horrible end-game beyond the paltry raids. End-game in Tanaan Jungle is as much fun as running around the Maw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Also, WoD was a trainwreck even by dev admission. You can't keep falling back on it.
    I'm not the one falling back on WoD. WoD had good raids just not enough of them and content (especially end-game content) was very lacking. Good leveling story though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    leads me to believe that Blizzard either is incompetent or they really don't care.
    Or that Activision-Blizzard has gotten so large that what seems like a simple addition (i.e. adding a new texture to an existing menu of options) requires so much top-heavy approval that it's not done on a regular basis.

When the community makes a 3D render (which are great BTW), it's usually just a person (or a small group) doing it on their own in their free time. They didn't need to seek permission from XYZ departments nor reviewing their proposed work with ABC managers to get approval. They don't need to have their work rechecked by DEF coders to make sure it doesn't break some other aspect of the game.

The bureaucracy within Activision-Blizzard is probably one of the many reasons why some devs have left and setup their own shop like Dreamhaven.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

I'm so glad they're adding to Torghast in 9.1 rather than iterating further on a far more popular expansion feature and instead putting it on life support until the uncertain future.
    I'm starting to doubt whether Blizzard understand why people play WoW. I'm a "hardcore" player, as in I engage in all three forms of endgame progression at a decent level, and yet the thing that keeps me subscribed to WoW is character customization. I spend more time creating and sharing new transmogs than minmaxing, combing over spreadsheets and watching high-level streams. In fact, the only reason I engage in endgame progression at all is because of exclusive seasonal rewards and in order to progress my character's story (yes, I RP).

Blizzard thinks that the top 1% drives their game whereas in reality, the game is more likely than not sustained by the hundreds of thousands of other people who play it to create badass looking characters and get them engaged in the story. Instead Blizzard's "limited" resources go to e-sports shit rather than the content that people actually like.

Eh, but it's fundamentally different in design. Unlike the barren maw, this Korthia was supposedly a landmass similar to Ardenweald before it was yanked into the maw.
    So far, from what we can judge, it's the Maw with trees. Too early to judge? Maybe. Probably. But when you preview something to drum up hype, you also gotta expect the opposite, I suppose. And I don't personally believe I'll be all too incorrect on that presumption. But time will tell.
    Pretty sure Nazjatar didn't have flying at first either. Nor the Argus.
    Argus never had any flying. Nazjatar had flying at the same time the rest of BfA did, as it was when we got part 2 of Pathfinder.
    So far the mega dungeons, Return to Karazhan and Operation: Mechagon were decent. I'm willing to lend Blizzard the benefit of the doubt until I see it on the PTR.
    Gonna agree. Mega dungeons are usually decent at worst. Although I'm not quite with the memey feel of "pirate infinite dragon." Feel like they're trying too hard to be zany.
    Moving goal posts already. And honestly until we see what's on the PTR, it's too early to say the extent of the changes. Sure maybe it's 1~2 abilities or maybe it's a new interface that adds on to the existing one. Legion artifact system saw an entirely new set of points added on top of the initial one. And we also saw in Legion the NLC system.
    I think there's a point to be made about the longevity and relevance of the systems they keep heaping on top of one another that end up going away after its respective expansion anyway.
    I'm not the one falling back on WoD. WoD had good raids just not enough of them and content (especially end-game content) was very lacking. Good leveling story though.
    Ah, my point was more so that WoD falls below the standard because its development was a trainwreck. "It could be like WoD instead," is not, imo, an argument you should be making in good faith when defending another expansion.
    Or that Activision-Blizzard has gotten so large that what seems like a simple addition (i.e. adding a new texture to an existing menu of options) requires so much top-heavy approval that it's not done on a regular basis.
    Agreed, but also that seems like a Blizzard issue then. There doesn't need to be massive oversight on additional hairstyles and eyecolors. That's just corporate bureaucracy trying to make itself seem useful so that it doesn't get shitcanned.

That their corporate structure is a chaotic, bureaucratic nightmare is an argument to be made, but it's not a justification for why they're nixing an expansion feature not even one content patch into said expansion in favor of shit like extra conduits.
    When the community makes a 3D render (which are great BTW), it's usually just a person (or a small group) doing it on their own in their free time. They didn't need to seek permission from XYZ departments nor reviewing their proposed work with ABC managers to get approval. They don't need to have their work rechecked by DEF coders to make sure it doesn't break some other aspect of the game.
    I think it's more to show how easy it is in practice. All that aside, there's really no reason why new customization additions should break the game. Not any more so than say, a toy, or a mount, or a new spell.
    The bureaucracy within Activision-Blizzard is probably one of the many reasons why some devs have left and setup their own shop like Dreamhaven.
    Agreed. Though if Dreamhaven ends up being successful enough, it'll probably end the same way- tragedy of success.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I'm starting to doubt whether Blizzard understand why people play WoW. I'm a "hardcore" player, as in I engage in all three forms of endgame progression at a decent level, and yet the thing that keeps me subscribed to WoW is character customization. I spend more time creating and sharing new transmogs than minmaxing, combing over spreadsheets and watching high-level streams. In fact, the only reason I engage in endgame progression at all is because of exclusive seasonal rewards and in order to progress my character's story (yes, I RP).

Blizzard thinks that the top 1% drives their game whereas in reality, the game is more likely than not sustained by the hundreds of thousands of other people who play it to create badass looking characters and get them engaged in the story. Instead Blizzard's "limited" resources go to e-sports shit rather than the content that people actually like.
    Well, it helps that customization in the different forms (mounts, transmogs and now quite literal character customization) just have a far less finite lifespan than.. conduits, renown, whatever you tie to that. And it's why you'll see people going back to farm old raid mog, and not Azerite or Artifact power.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    It is a feature...it's why we didn't get a new race or class. It's what a decent chunk of the development was devoted to

And the fact it literally is in the features section

They ticket the box. Now they don't need to return to it before 2030.

7+ Year Old Account

It's possible. But that's still Blizzard's fault if they can't reach the higher ups in the entire expansion
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

3+ Year Old Account
    I just want more Zandalari options. I know we got eye colors, but I think they deserve more than they got. They're probably the most popular AR Horde-wise, if you don't count the Vulpera of course
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    They ticket the box. Now they don't need to return to it before 2030.
    That's probably more likely than you think.

If they can just say "Yeah sorry we're done with that expansion feature that we said we'd keep iterating on," then there's no way a "Well, maybe in 10.0 if it makes sense. Perhaps, possibly?" is in any way binding enough for them to bother.

Chances are it's gonna be held hostage for when subs drop low from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I just want more Zandalari options. I know we got eye colors, but I think they deserve more than they got. They're probably the most popular AR Horde-wise, if you don't count the Vulpera of course
    I honestly think all races deserve more. WoW is still the MMO that offers the bare minimum even to the races that actually got some stuff this expansion. Blizzard probably appreciates that we're fighting among ourselves over which race no longer deserves to get anything, though.

But yeah, some are definitely higher priority. Looking at allied races, worgen, gnomes, trolls.

Well, it helps that customization in the different forms (mounts, transmogs and now quite literal character customization) just have a far less finite lifespan than.. conduits, renown, whatever you tie to that. And it's why you'll see people going back to farm old raid mog, and not Azerite or Artifact power.
    Farming expansion-old Azerite in SL feels like better progression to me than any of the SL endgame systems