Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's almost as if these popular distinctions are not actually reflective of reality but are instead propagated in order to service dominant cultural narratives.
    The distinction that N. Ireland terrorist want N. Ireland to be free from the uk and aren't primarily about left-wing policies, is now a "cultural narrative."

Sure, hun.

Therefore most of the terrorism in Europe was left-wing.

What-ever floats your boat, hun.

- - - Updated - - -

Remind me why we give a shit what Europol thinks,
    They are the ones trying to catch them.

Scientists also agree with them, but I guess listening to scientist is:
    an appeal to authority
    And if you dismiss Europol I guess you should also dismiss the report starting this thread, and thus we have nothing to discuss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The distinction that N. Ireland terrorist want N. Ireland to be free from the uk
    Why do they want to be free from the UK?

and aren't primarily about left-wing policies
    Policy isn't ideology, sweaty. That's why left wing environmentalists and eco-fascists have some policy overlap despite being ideologically opposed.

is now a "cultural narrative."
    Yeah, actually. Not exploring the ideological motivations behind policy makes it easier to reduce movements to a caricature - for instance, reducing anti-colonialist motivations to "hating the west" or "wanting to be separate from the Empire", or in the inverse reducing fascist motivations to "wanting a police state and big government". They might be technically true, but only in the most superficial of senses.

Therefore most of the terrorism in Europe was left-wing.
    Not when their separatism is rooted in desire to create a pure ethnostate which being part of an evil larger government would get in the way of. We have the same folks in the US claiming they want to secede because liberty when really it's because they don't want to obey federal civil rights legislation, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

They are the ones trying to catch them.
    I try to catch a lot of dick, doesn't make me a dating expert or a sexologist.

Scientists also agree with them, but I guess listening to scientist is:
    Yeah, when your argument's legitimacy is contingent on their authority in a field as opposed to whether or not what you and they are saying is actually a defensible position, it is. Lol.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-03-20 at 06:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Not when their separatism is rooted in desire to create a pure ethnostate which being part of an evil larger government would get in the way of.
    So you dismiss IRA as being left-wing and offer the alternate reality of: Irish nationalist are like the confederates in the US; and both want to return to their slave-owning days.

Facepalm

10+ Year Old Account
    So you dismiss IRA as being left-wing
    You not understanding what's meant by the creation of a pure ethnostate versus desiring self-determination is your problem, lol.

Which really speaks more to the effectiveness of the cultural narrative doing its darndest to conflate all political movements that challenge the status quo in either direction as equally dangerous or extreme.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-03-20 at 06:39 PM.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You not understanding what's meant by the creation of a pure ethnostate versus desiring self-determination is your problem, lol.
    Then IRA is left-wing and thus left-wing terrorism was responsible for most terrorism attacks in Europe according to the latest report.

Then the following statement by you regarding IRA makes no sense:
    Not when their separatism is rooted in desire to create a pure ethnostate which being part of an evil larger government would get in the way of. We have the same folks in the US claiming they want to secede because liberty when really it's because they don't want to obey federal civil rights legislation, lol.
    (In actual reality the political stance of IRA isn't that relevant, they primarily want to separate from the uk - not left-wing policies; apart from the obvious abolition of the monarchy.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Then IRA is left-wing and thus left-wing terrorism was responsible for most terrorism attacks in Europe according to the latest report.
    Cool, the report in the OP and the subject of discussion is about the US. Sit down.

Cool, the report in the OP and the subject of discussion is about the US. Sit down.
    And all I wanted to say is that the global situation is different, and that there's more to the world than the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    And all I wanted to say is that the global situation is different, and that there's more to the world than the US.
    So, "All Countries Matter", rather than any substantive point?

10+ Year Old Account
    And your "global situation" points at a set of groups (because the IRA isn't a single "thing") focused on the independence of one single nation.

It just seems like you're trying to derail.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And your "global situation" points at a set of groups (because the IRA isn't a single "thing") focused on the independence of one single nation.
    My main point is that a lot of terrorism isn't right-wing or left-wing, but done for other reasons.

Some still tried to shoe-horn every terrorist into the right/left-wing spectrum and refused to acknowledge any other view-point; and I just noted that the consequence then is that most terrorism in Europe would be left-wing. If you don't like the result of the shoehorning - don't do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main point is that a lot of terrorism isn't right-wing or left-wing, but done for other reasons.
    That does not preclude them being affiliated with the right or left wing, politically. Indeed, those "other reasons" often boil down to markers on that very spectrum.

Some still tried to shoe-horn every terrorist into the right/left-wing spectrum and refused to acknowledge any other view-point; and I just noted that the consequence then is that most terrorism in Europe would be left-wing. If you don't like the result of the shoehorning - don't do it.
    Which means you're attacking a straw man, to derail the conversation, and prevent people discussing the American study that the thread is about.

That's not a good faith contribution to the discussion.

Which means you're attacking a straw man, to derail the conversation, and prevent people discussing the American study that the thread is about.
    I'm saying that there's a lot of the world outside the US, and if you want to discuss a specific country it's best to Add The Name of The Country In The Subject Line. (Unless it is obvious.)

That was what I stated as the start, but people couldn't accept that there's a world outside the US that is different. And I agree that those attempts were
    not a good faith contribution to the discussion.
    Added:
    Which means you're attacking a straw man, to derail the conversation
    It's not a strawman, since some argued for it.

You know what "strawman" means?
    Last edited by Forogil; 2021-03-20 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying that there's a lot of the world outside the US, and if you want to discuss a specific country it's best to Add The Name of The Country In The Subject Line. (Unless it is obvious.)
    We get it. All countries matter. /s

You could, you know, just read the opening post.

10+ Year Old Account

That was what I stated as the start, but people couldn't accept that there's a world outside the US that is different. And I agree that those attempts were
    So you're admitting you didn't even bother checking the link before posting?

That's not anyone else here's fault.

You're still trying to derail the thread.

We get it. All countries matter. /s

You could, you know, just read the opening post.
    What is your contribution?

Trying to use "guilt-by-association" when failing to realize that the people outside the US are different?

Do you think the forum would be better if we had threads with subject lines like "Another 'I can't breath' death: Police Reform & Protests", "Quota Non-Westerners in Neighborhoods", "Coup", "2020 General Election", "Will they vote for Indepedence?" arguing that the country is obvious from the thread?

- - - Updated - - -

So you're admitting you didn't even bother checking the link before posting?
    No, I stated that it was different in other countries, and I cannot say that it's different in other countries if I don't know which country we are comparing with.

But why are you arguing this? Do you want to inflate your post-count, or is just that you are
    still trying to derail the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your contribution?

Trying to use "guilt-by-association" when failing to realize that the people outside the US are different?

Do you think the forum would be better if we had threads with subject lines like "Another 'I can't breath' death: Police Reform & Protests", "Quota Non-Westerners in Neighborhoods", "Coup", "2020 General Election", "Will they vote for Indepedence?" arguing that the country is obvious from the thread?
    "I shouldn't be expected to read anything but the title of the thread before stating my opinion" sure is one interesting stance to take, but okay.

"I shouldn't be expected to read anything but the title of the thread before stating my opinion" sure is one interesting stance to take, but okay.
    Did I write that?

No, so stop de-railing the thread.

All I'm saying that there's a lot of the world outside the US, and if you want to discuss a specific country it's best to Add The Name of The Country In The Subject Line. (Unless it is obvious.)

Note that there weren't complaints about the global situation when it was seen as being the same as in the US.
    But the situation globally isn't the same as in the US, and the first post didn't mention the US - despite gaslighting efforts fooling some.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2021-03-22 at 06:44 AM.

Did I write that?

No, so stop de-railing the thread.
    You are the one derailing.

What information should be put in the thread title for people too fucking lazy to read the first post? Fuck, you want me to just post the whole fucking article in the title?

This is a stupid, petty and frankly pathetic attempt to derail on your point.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

15+ Year Old Account
    And white males are by far committing most mass murders or the nicer sounding description mass shootings (with multiple deadly outcome).
    "But what about Antifa and BLM?!?"

Any other news?
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-03-22 at 04:45 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    And white males are by far committing most mass murders or the nicer sounding description mass shootings (with multiple deadly outcome).
    My natural reaction is that males are evolved to be more violent, and in the US the majority of the population is white.

Just a brief glance on
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_s..._United_States confirms the second part and undermines the racist narrative:
    According to most analyses and studies, the proportion of mass shooters in the United States who are white is slightly less than the proportion of white people in the general population of the U.S.
    However, what is clearly over-represented globally is the US; with less than 5% of the world's population it is responsible for more than 30% of the mass shootings (some might be due to differences in reporting).