Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The End of Theorizing

Per Blizzcon Interiew: The voice actor's performance for Sire Denathrius caused Steve to want to keep him alive. This is why he is trapped at the end of the raid instead of killed.

So, proof that the Warcraft narrative is improvisational at best, is there any point to theorizing?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    is there any point to theorizing?
    Yes, it's fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Kind of always been the case, really - people are going to theorize and speculate regardless, because they're not privy to the nature of such decisions until well afterward. We still don't know if Denathrius will have a role to play in Shadowlands going forward, or if he's simply been stuffed in the cooler for another story or cameo. Insofar as we knew it was always the notion for Denathrius to survive the Nathria raid - that he was originally meant to die in the initial planning of Shadowlands doesn't really matter beyond trivia.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean, so what? His story is done for now. Just because they decided not to kill him, doesn't mean he will suddenly appear again. Execute him, or imprison him, it doesn't matter. He may briefly show up later, probably some small redemption, but that's it. We had same shit with Bwonsamdi. He wasn't suppose to appear in SL, but he quickly became fan favourite in BfA, so they carried him over.

They do not improvize big story elements though, so I don't see why we should stop theorizing.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

You know this is something that happens with all kinds of media right? Like Jesse was originally planned to die in the first season of Breaking Bad but the writers were so impressed with his performance he got written into a more important character. I really don't understand the hand-wringing about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happens very often in every media.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I’m glad they didn’t kill him off and I hope they find a way to write him back into the story because I absolutely love Denathrius as a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Malira View Post
    You know this is something that happens with all kinds of media right? Like Jesse was originally planned to die in the first season of Breaking Bad but the writers were so impressed with his performance he got written into a more important character. I really don't understand the hand-wringing about this.
    Really? didnt know that and you certainly wouldnt think that when watching Breaking Bad. He is one of THE main characters of the show. Would be a very different show without him.

On topic: Doesnt really matter. hes imprisoned or whatever. he can stay that way forever and be forgotten.

Per Blizzcon Interiew: The voice actor's performance for Sire Denathrius caused Steve to want to keep him alive. This is why he is trapped at the end of the raid instead of killed.

So, proof that the Warcraft narrative is improvisational at best, is there any point to theorizing?
    Look who went to the school of reaching.

Just because one minor irrelevant whatever plot point isn't 100% set in stone doesn't mean the entire fucking narrative is made up as they go.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

-.- I see you have never heard of Marvel and DC Comics.

Writers changing stories because of audience reaction to the characters is fairly common.

Ummm...no? Just because some of the story is improvised doesn't mean it all is. They've said before that the general story beats are planned about two expansions in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by EntertainmentNihilist View Post
    Ummm...no? Just because some of the story is improvised doesn't mean it all is. They've said before that the general story beats are planned about two expansions in advance.
    Probably the very general outline of the story. Like they know we have saved Shadowlands at 9.3, that [X] new threat attacks on 10.0 and we defeat them thanks to a magical device at 10.X, and stuff. They don't know any details, despite what they're saying, and that was really proven twice during WoD (Grom as last boss + Kar'gath was planned to be kept alive at the end of his highmaul encounter but died instead).

10+ Year Old Account
    is there any point to theorizing?
    People will always theorize things.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Obviously. Just like Bolvar became the Lich King after positive reaction to his Wrathgate appearance. They've always been writing the story on the spot.

They probably still haven't decided on what Sylvanas' fate will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that's not always the case.

However, it just further proves that Danuser is the deathknell of WoW's lore.

It's quite common for supposed one shot characters to become recurring or even supporting or main characters if they become popular either with the audience or the creators.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    But that's not always the case.

However, it just further proves that Danuser is the deathknell of WoW's lore.
    What does Danuser even have to do with this decision? Or is this part of your quota?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    It's quite common for supposed one shot characters to become recurring or even supporting or main characters if they become popular either with the audience or the creators.

- - - Updated - - -

What does Danuser even have to do with this decision? Or is this part of your quota?

What quota? And you do know who Steve Danuser is right?
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-02-21 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Because he's literally the one who took that decision? Who do you think "Steve" is?

remember Jack from series LOST? he was supposed to die at intro, but was played/received so well, that he was left alive and became main protagonist

Bwonsamdi? he was going to play minor role, but voice actor nailed it, and more of his stories were added later on, in SL ofc

They have said things like this before. How some characters arc goes is no different than gameplay plans. If Blizzard or the players have strong feelings about something it can easily alter the longevity of that thing.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."