Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question TOP 3 DPS in BC ?

what were the top 3 DPS in the burning crusades???
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Different fights/raids/tiers had different ‘top dps’

So warlock mage hunter would be a safe bet I guess?

Warriors and rogues pop off later but idk tbc works a lot differently than classic

Hunter can top DPS with a literal 1 button macro

Melee DPS was shit early on

Tier 4: Hunter, Warlock, Mage
    Tier 5: Warlock, Mage, Hunter
    Tier 6: Hunter, Warlock, Rogue(with Glaives)

Edit: This is the reality of how it was back in TBC. I don't know how it is on private servers.
    On some fights, Rogues and Fury Warriors absolutely dominated, but overall, Hunters were just really easy to play (I was a hunter) and easy to do consistent damage with.

The most sought after class in any raid was always the Shaman, since you needed at least 5 of them, no matter what.
    Last edited by satella; 2021-02-22 at 03:15 AM.

Hunter was strong throughout and I remember my enhance shammy doing a lot of damage once we got into later patches. The meme was enh pulled agro and died and that's what ankh was for.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...h-BC-encounter

^ a lot of info there. Don't forget how important shamans are, as well as leatherworking for most everyone.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelduril View Post

Those macros probably won't work in TBC classic since it's using the modern API.

Mage gets outscaled hard in Sunwell.

There's a reason mages talked about being "sunwelled" whenever they were bad for years afterward.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played a mage through TBC and a paladin as my alt. I was alliance and shamans were rare I think we only had 2 on our raid roster, being alliance a lot of people did not reroll and continued their mains into TBC. Warlocks were another rare class while they did good damage they were not as popular as other classes in vanilla, some nights we would only have one in our raid. Our caster group contained ele shaman, boomkin, spriest and 2 mages normally. You can still clear content with a suboptimal raid but if classic has taught me anything is people will push for the meta comp even if they are not going for speed records or world firsts.

Hunters were kings of single target but warlocks were not far behind. Warlocks cannot be touched by any other class in AoE DPS. Hunters had a one button macro to top DPS, it allowed them to never clip an auto shot. This probably won't work since it was removed in WotLK and we have the modern macro api. So hunters watching tv spamming one key won't be as easy.

Every class has a useful buff for the raid but rogues(until they get war glaives then their DPS is the buff I guess). Warlocks and hunters may be like the warriors of classic as a lot of warriors I know are rerolling to either class. But unlike vanilla you cannot stack half your raid of one class and expect to have insane parses. Every group will want a shaman, every DPS group will want a druid, every raid will want to get 3 paladins for blessings. Healers will fight for the shadow priest to be in their group and arcane mages need the mana battery. If your goal is to secure a raid slot playing one of the support roles will be big. DPS support roles like Boomkin exist as they do not bring the damage but they give it to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    what were the top 3 DPS in the burning crusades???
    depends on tier and encounters.

wanna know statistics back in 2007 ? just have a look at: https://legacyplayers.com/Raids/Ranking

overall in the grand scheme of things and overall the whole TBC xpac in general you can not go much wrong with:

warlock (top all the time) most of time king in AoE
    hunter (superior in first half and still very very good in second half) most of time king in ST
    mage (a bit slow starting but soon enough at top with warlock)

just for completeness:

every class is fine in TBC. shamans are used as hell cause of BL is buffing 5man group in raids without CD. so 4+ shamans for every raid. also moonkin brings nice stuff on the table, as well as the mana battery aka shadow priest. druid tank is excellent (foremost later the xpac) and has superior offspec feral dps, makes him the best 3rd tank possible. why i say this ? yes, a moonkin, SP, Ret and others will not top hunter, mage, lock. also warri and rogue has their encounters they shine but in the long run will not top mage, lock and hunter over the whole xpac. BUT: when i say „top“ we talk about waaaaay smaller gaps than classic and waaaay more need for all the classes, cause of their great support (totems i.e.).

in short: play what you like. everyone is needed and RL will look in the same manner at the buffs and support you bring, as they look on the raw dps. if you just wanna top the meters for personal penis enlargememt its safe to stick with mage, lock or hunter.

side node: remember there is no dual spec in TBC. just sayin. also, if playing a pure dps, think about the spec that is top notch and if you like that spec. i.e. as mage frost is more of pvp. as hunter you wanna go BM for a good while. and so on. just to keep in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post

There's a reason mages talked about being "sunwelled" whenever they were bad for years afterward.
    until that point they had a happy time together with locks (and here and then hunters). the question is, how much of an impact has sunwell for a personal descission. gruul, mag, kara, ssc, tk, bt, hyal, sunwell. many raids in TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satella View Post
    Tier 4: Hunter, Warlock, Mage
    Tier 5: Warlock, Mage, Hunter
    Tier 6: Hunter, Warlock, Rogue(with Glaives)

Edit: This is the reality of how it was back in TBC. I don't know how it is on private servers.
    On some fights, Rogues and Fury Warriors absolutely dominated, but overall, Hunters were just really easy to play (I was a hunter) and easy to do consistent damage with.

The most sought after class in any raid was always the Shaman, since you needed at least 5 of them, no matter what.
    EXACTLY this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher557 View Post
    Different fights/raids/tiers had different ‘top dps’

So warlock mage hunter would be a safe bet I guess?

Warriors and rogues pop off later but idk tbc works a lot differently than classic
    exactly. ranges have encounter wise an easier time in TBC and ranged classes where a bit more wanted therefore back in the days. also rogue needs a while to come up with gear. both melees shine later very well on some/many encounters, foremost warri. so it is no problem in any way to play these 2. its just that mage, hunter, lock have a bit easier time and are overall a bit more wanted and overall a bit higher a bit earlier.

but when looking on https://legacyplayers.com/Raids/Ranking you can clearly see how warriors later on specific encounters can DESTROY
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-02-22 at 04:51 AM.

Time to dust off that BM macro!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelduril View Post

hunter is not the way 1 button spam as you think of it today. yes, he put steady shot and kill command in a macro he spammed all the time. but also hunter in these days had to do more with managing pet. do some kiting (hunter is master of kiting in TBC). was it easy ? ofc, its hunter. was it standing around pressing 1 key ? no.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post

Fights like M'uru shut on them hard. They were great and instantly when it really mattered were not.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Fights like M'uru shut on them hard. They were great and instantly when it really mattered were not.
    Mage were 2nd and 3rd damage on the world first kill of M'uru. Nice try.

Well I may be a bit off but a lot of the reason melee was very bad at the start was because of early patch builds and itemization on a lot of melee gear was extremely bad until later patches and ultimately 2.4.3 -- of course the gear from sunwell pretty much was the main contributing factor to rogues ascension (although i mained a rogue and never felt that off-pace through out)

But in short due to us being straight on a ironed out 2.4.3 baseline patch i think the curve wont be as drastic from T4-T6 for rogues/warriors as people expect -- I don't think they will beat a good warlock or hunter though.

edit: But the great thing about TBC is that every class is highly sought after and tbh you're probably going to have a lot of competition as warlock/hunter, please play a boomkin for our crit%
    Last edited by Ellihs; 2021-02-22 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    Those macros probably won't work in TBC classic since it's using the modern API.
    Didn't they switch to the modern API in TBC?

Edit: I assume we're talking about the
    /cast Blood Fury
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /cast Steady Shot Reset=3
    /cast Lightning Breath

Or whatever it was. I'm just typing whatever I remember my hunter used back in TBC

Another edit:
    According to https://wow.gamepedia.com/Macro_(1.0) macros were different Pre TBC. So I'd assume from that wording that it was changed in TBC
    Last edited by Nosnogard; 2021-02-22 at 05:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...h-BC-encounter

^ a lot of info there. Don't forget how important shamans are, as well as leatherworking for most everyone.
    They've already stated how there will be a change to leatherworking specifically the drums when the classic BC hits. If I remember correctly too hero/lust was also said to be changed with classic BC by them in the same post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    That's not typical of most M'uru kills. It's generally warlocks smashing everyone and then fury warriors and rogues under them, and then mages somewhere near the rogues and warriors. Mages aren't bad dps in sunwell, they just get completely overshadowed by warlocks and you generally only need 1 for most fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    They've already stated how there will be a change to leatherworking specifically the drums when the classic BC hits. If I remember correctly too hero/lust was also said to be changed with classic BC by them in the same post.
    No they have done no such thing. They said drums would be looked at and likely changed, and cited a debuff as a possible solution. At no point did they certify any of this. They simply said it was likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    First kills are rarely a good representation of farm DPS rankings, doubly so when you go back in time this far.