The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The Chiefs are 7- to 7.5-point favorites over Cincy, and underdog stories are generally more compelling. I don't think this is some big surprise or some long, drawn-out design.
    Plus the Chiefs have been here the last 4 years now. There's no new stories to tell. It's just like the Patriots now.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Rapsheet's saying it's Daboll to the Giants.

Didn't expect that, wonder if he's got a guarantee his job status isn't tied to Jones past this year.

Miami and Houston look to be rightfully being left holding the bag this hiring cycle.
    This has been made official by the Giants now.

I bet they're gonna see if they can fix Jones, otherwise they move on. Apparently Ken Dorsey, our QB coach, is strongly linked to going with Daboll to be his OC, and will have playcalling duties. Dorsey and Daboll took the raw clay which was Josh Allen and molded him into what he is now, so we'll see how they can do with Jones or some other QB. Rumor is Wink Martindale for DC....all this would be a pretty crazy staff for a new HC.

They haven't announced the Dorsey thing yet, from the people I follow on Twitter, the Bills are desparately trying to hold on to him to make him OC here in Buffalo. Apparently the Giants are putting big money on the table for Dorsey because Daboll wanted him to be a package deal and made it a stipulation.

Big blow to the Bills if Dorsey leaves too, he was the natural successor to Daboll. Only way he stays imo is if he looks at Jones and is like, "I'd rather be OC for Josh." But if the money is too good, who knows.

Kinda a worst case scenario if we're left holding on to Frazier as our DC, with our defensive-minded coach, casting about for an OC. Good news is that OC candidates should be drooling to come work with Josh, but I don't trust McD to know what a good OC is....I sometimes feel he picked Daboll because Daboll is a Buffalo guy and bleeds Buffalo red and blue, and not because Daboll made Tua look good at Alabama.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm here for the meeting of the Losing Your OC Anonymous...

With every hour that passes more news leaks out from the Raiders or Josh McDaniels that make it seem like it's a done deal, with McD and Ziegler, the Patriots GM in everything but actual title, going to Las Vegas.

That leaves the Patriots with YET AGAIN a ton of turnover in the coaching and front office, when what we desperately needed was some continuity for a change and to build from what we had instead of having to start from scratch in various places and having to build relationships again.

As to the actual OC issue when McD leaves, people are SO gung-ho in pencilling in Bob O'Brien to come back as OC but I just don't see it. BOB has a cushy job at Alabama, with the Heisman winner, with probably his pick of College HC jobs when he wants them. Why would he ever take a step back to NFL to be the OC for a guy that notoriously gets all the credit for anything good that happens on the team, ever. It's not like he has to prove anything in the NFL, he was already a successful OC and a somewhat successful HC until he got too much control over personnel. The way I see it his path to a new HC job in the NFL is to move there after having continued success at Alabama.

It also doesn;t make much sense given Belichick's track record. Almost none of his coaches that moved away from NE came back there. Josh McDaniels is the big exception in that regard.

So my guess is that 1 of 2 things will happen:

1) BB goes completely out of left field and hires some guy that no one had on their radar. There's a former High School and now College coach that had admiration for, that people were really surprised about that they even knew eachother, let alone knew eachother quite well. Hiring that kind of guy would be what I mean here.

OR

2) No one says anything and no one knows anything and for all intents it looks like that Patriots don;t hire a new Offensive Coordinator at all, and when the Spring camps begin there's still no indication that there's a new OC in New England, and then by early Training Camp it turns out that they just promoted some guys internally and that there's no actual OC in title this season, just like there's not been an actual DC in title for the past few years. And people will lose their damn minds for MONTHS while this plays out and BB don;t give a shit and just moves on with things as usual.

Whatever happens, I can pretty much guarantee that the playbook we have right now is the almost exact playbook we will have next year, and that whoever comes in as OC will have to work with BBs playbook and not bring his own, except maybe for a play here or there in specific gameplanning situations, where they want to exploit a match up in some way.

And THAT is not something I look forward to, cause I think the Patriots offense has been a little predictable and stale the past few years (even in Brady's last year or 2). Not saying we need a huge ground up rework, but it needs more than just doing the same things over and over again with a lick of new paint. It needs better tailoring to the players we have and the things those guys are good at.

I welcome Josh McDaniels being the Raiders coach, hopefully he finds a way to trade Carr for Brissett or something dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I'd heard was that if McDaniels leaves the Patriots might bring back Bill O'Brien, which given where the Texans are at after him is probably a good hire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tom Brady, greatest football player to ever play, calls it a career. (according to Darlington and Schefter)

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/s...08338556366853

Sad day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow.

The new era of the NFL has finally come. Have to wonder if he considered going out with the ring last season but thought since they were bringing the entire team back he had a shot to go out with a repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Sad day.
    ...and for the rest of the football world, the celebration begins.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Plot twist, Brady is the next Patriots OC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I made this comment as a joke earlier today too, but now I see some idiots in the media actually posing this as a future for Brady.

Like, coaches in the NFL work like dogs, more even than the players. If a guy retires when he's physically not done yet, in order to spend more time with his family, then why the hell would he go into coaching?

And that's not even getting into the payment aspects of it, or the fact that Brady could probably walk into some owner's offices and tell them he'll be their Head Coach, and they'd buy it. I mean if Josh McCown gets that kind of attention, then why wouldn't the greatest player of all time?

It's bananas to me what people think up without apparently engaging their brain for 5 seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I made this comment as a joke earlier today too, but now I see some idiots in the media actually posing this as a future for Brady.

Like, coaches in the NFL work like dogs, more even than the players. If a guy retires when he's physically not done yet, in order to spend more time with his family, then why the hell would he go into coaching?

And that's not even getting into the payment aspects of it, or the fact that Brady could probably walk into some owner's offices and tell them he'll be their Head Coach, and they'd buy it. I mean if Josh McCown gets that kind of attention, then why wouldn't the greatest player of all time?

It's bananas to me what people think up without apparently engaging their brain for 5 seconds.
    There's always this mystique with Brady/Belichick/New England that makes people expect the crazy, and that the crazy will work.

But yeah I doubt he retired just to move into coaching. Maybe down the road, but not immediately. He was playing well enough that that roster could have gotten him another ring, this was definitely a "I don't want to get beaten around for 17 regular season games plus 1 to 4 playoff games" decision.

15+ Year Old Account
    Has it been confirmed confirmed like he’s actually said it? Or is the idea he’s waiting until after tomorrow’s games.

There's always this mystique with Brady/Belichick/New England that makes people expect the crazy, and that the crazy will work.

But yeah I doubt he retired just to move into coaching. Maybe down the road, but not immediately. He was playing well enough that that roster could have gotten him another ring, this was definitely a "I don't want to get beaten around for 17 regular season games plus 1 to 4 playoff games" decision.
    Not a bad way to go out though, matching your career peak comeback. Might make it worse to him but I think it solidifies how good he still was vs Peyton who’s arm died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Has it been confirmed confirmed like he’s actually said it? Or is the idea he’s waiting until after tomorrow’s games.

Not a bad way to go out though, matching your career peak comeback. Might make it worse to him but I think it solidifies how good he still was vs Peyton who’s arm died.
    Tampa media is saying he hasn't confirmed it yet, but his agent has said he "won't comment" and Brady should have an announcement "soon."

The fact his agent isn't getting ahead of this says enough.

- - - Updated - - -

So apparently the word is Brady's out of the country for the next few weeks and won't officially say one way or the other until he's returned.

So nothing to dispute the reports he will, but also nothing to say his mind won't change.

https://twitter.com/tomecurran/statu...30982978772992

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Seriously, Dallas has been far more successful.
    Since 1995 (jags first season) Dallas has been to one conference championship game, and it was literally the very first year. The jaguars have been to three.

It won't happen because I don't see how him and Arians would get along, but I want to see Rodgers on the Bucs now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Tom Brady, but he would rise to BEYOND legendary status if he decided to take all this retirement nonsense and decide to play another year, out of pure spite. His last fuck you to ESPN that first broke the news.

He probably won't but a man can dream.

I just hope he doesn't go into broadcasting and have to see him every Sunday in the booth... Ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I just hope he doesn't go into broadcasting and have to see him every Sunday in the booth... Ugh.
    You know that's the most likely scenario, right? At least the most likely scenario aside from not coming back to the game in any way.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    You know that's the most likely scenario, right? At least the most likely scenario aside from not coming back to the game in any way.
    I'd say most likely period. This feels like a smoke and fire situation. Schefter trusted this enough to tweet it, Rapsheet certainly didn't sound surprised by the move, everyone from NFL Network to Twitter to Tom Brady's own company had their commemerations ready to fire off within minutes, heck even Skip Bayless said it matched up with what he'd heard from the Bucs which was they'd be "shocked" if he came back next year. You don't get all that if people aren't confident he's calling it quits, just the question being if he waits until after the Super Bowl or not.

As for Broadcasting, why do I want to see him and Gronk do a Manningcast-style show? Maybe put it on TNF?

10+ Year Old Account
    As for Broadcasting, why do I want to see him and Gronk do a Manningcast-style show? Maybe put it on TNF?
    Because Gronk is hilarious. Less so much because of Brady, I'd say.

But yeah, I'd think someone is sure going to throw even more money Brady's way for broadcasting rights.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils