Page 5 of 205 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I can't believe it but we might have to bring back the NFL and ___ threads after all.

Apparently the XFL's now in active talks on working with the CFL that might be up to and including a merger.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Eric Fischer and Mitchell Schwartz are both being released by the Chiefs. Fischer is on his last year and might not play at all. KC's gonna have to reload on linemen if they expect to keep Mahomes healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Eric Fischer and Mitchell Schwartz are both being released by the Chiefs. Fischer is on his last year and might not play at all. KC's gonna have to reload on linemen if they expect to keep Mahomes healthy.
    Nothing implodes a dynasty quite like a small cap increase.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...16185359060998

Their Center's hitting the market too and is expected to sign elsewhere. 3/5 OLine spots will be different next year.

Bills re-signing their WIL Matt Milano, probably 2nd highest LB on the FA market: 4 years, 44m, 24 guaranteed.

11m a year is right on the borderline for me. He deserves it as a player, it was more of a question of whether we could afford it as an organization, considering we're already paying Tre White, and will soon have to pay Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds (our younger, more important MIKE LB). Both Allen and Edmunds still have 5th year options as first round picks, but Milano was a 5th round steal so we had no such option.

I want to see the cap hit this year before really celebrating too much. If Beane kept it at 8-9m this year with some voidable years on the end, I'm all for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

Signing bonus of $7M
    Base salaries:
    2021 - $5.3M
    2022 - $7.5M
    2023 - $9.25M
    2024 - $9.55M

I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Well I can't believe it but we might have to bring back the NFL and ___ threads after all.

Apparently the XFL's now in active talks on working with the CFL that might be up to and including a merger.
    Would be interesting. There have been ideas batted around about the CLF and NFL merging before.
    XFL and CFL would be cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mark Ingram signed with Houston for a year. Why anyone would willingly go to the Texans right now I have no idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Would be interesting. There have been ideas batted around about the CLF and NFL merging before.
    XFL and CFL would be cool.
    Would probably be the first league since the AFL that could actually compete with the NFL for more than two seasons.

I'm still surprised the NFL hasn't tried to take any of the upstart leagues when they started to fall apart and turn it into a full-blown Summer/D-League.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    I'm still surprised the NFL hasn't tried to take any of the upstart leagues when they started to fall apart and turn it into a full-blown Summer/D-League.
    Supposedly they tried to do that with the AAF but it was already too far gone to save.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patriots signed Cam Newton back, on a 5M deal with a load of incentives to make it bigger if he sticks and plays well.

Which kind of points to him being a bridge guy and that the Patriots intend to get a young QB from somewhere, most likely the draft.

All in all, I'm okay with this signing.

Even if Cam as the starter for 16 games is probably a bad idea, he'd still make a good rolemodel for whoever we have coming in to be the guy for the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Patriots signed Cam Newton back, on a 5M deal with a load of incentives to make it bigger if he sticks and plays well.

Which kind of points to him being a bridge guy and that the Patriots intend to get a young QB from somewhere, most likely the draft.

All in all, I'm okay with this signing.

Even if Cam as the starter for 16 games is probably a bad idea, he'd still make a good rolemodel for whoever we have coming in to be the guy for the future.
    I mean it makes sense. At this point the QB market isn't shaping up to be league altering like it was hyped up to be. Cam's probably the best guy left out there for a 1-2 year bridge.

Only guy better is still probably Watson but it's looking more and more like he'll be delt in the summer after he makes good on a threat to not show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean it makes sense. At this point the QB market isn't shaping up to be league altering like it was hyped up to be. Cam's probably the best guy left out there for a 1-2 year bridge.

Only guy better is still probably Watson but it's looking more and more like he'll be delt in the summer after he makes good on a threat to not show up.
    Well, Mariota will likely be out there, but you have to weigh the cost of that which is higher than this Cam deal, against Cam's (abbreviated) familiarity in the system vs Mariota being totally fresh to it and likely having the same issue Cam had last year i.e. having to learn everything on the fly.

I think Cam, cheaply, with a second year is better than Mariota for more, with no experience.

If all goes well either one would give way to a rookie before the end of the season.

Brees announced his retirement and the Packers are keeping Aaron Jones.

Texans are making roster moves for everyone but QB it feels like. I'm expecting them to just call Watson's bluff of sitting out and not trade him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Brees announced his retirement and the Packers are keeping Aaron Jones
    Technically his kids announced it, was kinda cute.

Saints also restructured Taysom's contract. 4 year $140 mil extension, all years are voidable.

Saints also save 7.5 mil against cap this season through it.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole voided years thing confuses me with Hill's contract. So it basically gives the team an out of the contract each year, after free agency. Otherwise hes making Russell Wilson money if I am reading it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    The whole voided years thing confuses me with Hill's contract. So it basically gives the team an out of the contract each year, after free agency. Otherwise hes making Russell Wilson money if I am reading it right.
    It is just a 1 year contract with fake years to spread out his cap hit over 4 years. Probably going to be very common this offseason.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is just a 1 year contract with fake years to spread out his cap hit over 4 years. Probably going to be very common this offseason.
    I imagine after FA starts and teams start signing people we'll see more 2 year extensions on big cap hit guys to reduce this years cap hit

10+ Year Old Account
    Brees announced his retirement and the Packers are keeping Aaron Jones.

Texans are making roster moves for everyone but QB it feels like. I'm expecting them to just call Watson's bluff of sitting out and not trade him.
    Had a suspicion they were gonna make room for Jones after they went on a restructuring spree the last couple days.

Frankly that's probably all you can hope for this offseason. Though their draft is gonna loom large. They need impact guys in year 1.

Would probably be the first league since the AFL that could actually compete with the NFL for more than two seasons.
    I often wonder how NFL/CFL would be if it merged. Keep the Current 9 CFL teams then add 7 expansion teams for 48. Not sure what the 7 cities would be and if it would dilute the player base too thin.

- - - Updated - - -

Brees announced his retirement...
    Kinda miss him kinda won't. I predict Payton will be looking for a job in a couple of seasons.

Why. Why would you pay a RB who isn't CMC 12 million a year?

Also, I don't care the technicalities of the Taysom Hill contract, because 1 year is too much at that price tag. What does Jameis have to do to get that job, jesus.