8 6.35%
  • ★★★☆ [3/4]

22 17.46%
  • ★★★★ [4/4]

90 71.43%
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Honestly, the weakest part of the movie is the magic that instigates the entire plot and how it actually works. If you ignore how it mechanically works and just focus on everything else around it (like character development, motivations, etc) it's really great. Except Dr Strange, he's acting in a really dumb manner in this film most of the time considering how overpowered he is and how he should be acting/responding to Peter and certain scenarios. Oh, and you have to forget the TVA exists.

When it comes to the whole GED, I think we're under the assumption that everything is gone, so he has to rely only on himself. Part of the issue is how does this mechanically work. Does he just 'exist' with everything wiped out? Does the spell really just shift him into a different universe (a la Steins;Gate timeline hopping where Peter is the only one that knows anything happened) where Peter is just isolated from everyone? It's certainly implied it's not just face blindness or memory wipes, because there are hints that there's way more going on. It kind of ties into how the original spell is meant to work and what actually went wrong with it, as it's not defined... so they want you to just accept that's the way things are. I personally write it off in my head that the spell actually moved his consciousness into a different universe, and that's the way it was intended to work... and Dr. Strange and Co. don't know the true nature of the spell because "we know frighteningly little about the multiverse" and such. It's a cope out, don't get me wrong, as it's left so vague and wishy-washy in terms of mechanics.

This also raises the issue of Mysterio, as we don't know the exact mechanics beyond what the movie chars think they know... and I'd like to think that they're clueless or misunderstanding as to what's really going on in terms of the botched spell (or even the intact one), as it makes more sense in that regard. From what we can observe, it's absolutely possible that some form of Mysterio could've popped up. Heck, there could've been a universe where he was a legit good guy and thrown Spider-Man for a loop, leading to many different character development avenues. However, I think the film's fine as it is when it comes to who all pops up, because it absolutely elevates all the older Spider-Man films or helps address some issues with them.

Overall, in terms of plot and mechanics, I think the film's around a 5 out of 10... all the time/universe mechanics don't damage it nearly as much as End Game or Loki, as removing those elements from this Spider-Man film still gives you something pretty solid. In terms of character development, it knocks it out of the park... I'd even go so far as a 8 or 9 out of 10 in this department, with Dr. Strange being the big reason for why it's not scoring higher. In terms of entertainment value, it's not really surprising that this film is popular, as it's not spitting in people's faces while respecting past and present franchises while elevating them all and tying up loose ends from all the films. This film is a good example of how to do fan service correctly. It's not perfect, but it's certainly the best Marvel film in a long while.
    Yeah the magic part is the only problem I had with the film. Like why was the spell even effecting the multiverse in the first place? Why does changing it while casting it cause it to ripple out into the multiverse? I feel like it would have made more sense if it was like a monkey's paw type spell that a badguy or higher power that doesn't give a shit about the consequences but wanted to teach Peter a lesson cast.

I was fine with Strange. He was a little cocky like he should be, plus he's seen how many timelines where Peter died? Of course he is going to try and help him he just forgets that Peter is still just a dumb kid until he realizes that after the spell and then proceeds to treat him like a kid until the end of the film.

A good Mysterio would be kinda cool to see especially if he had real powers not sure it would work though unless the original was revealed to be a criminal and fraud to the world and now the new one gets shit on because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    He probably could go back and finish high school... but that would be really painful...seeing his girlfriend and best friend every day...only they have no idea who he is. He's cutting himself off from that life.

I do think it's funny that he had a book for getting his G.E.D. though... it's not like he would really need to study.

If the spell works the way the spell worked in the comics...yeah, there'd be a total face blindness situation. People remembered that Spider-man took his mask off on national television...but they just couldn't remember anything about the guy underneath it. And the spell made it so they just kinda accepted that. It also added kind of a mental block to make it a lot harder for people to figure out Peter Parker was Spider-Man... unless he did something along the lines of doing Spider-Man shit as Peter Parker.

But it wasn't the exact same spell...so it's hard to say.

You're making the assumption that Mysterio actually died...
    How much time did he even have left in school? I'm sure seeing them actually happy in school while maybe heartbreaking would atleast have him realize he did the right thing. I wonder if he will end up just being Peter to survive/get cash and be Spider Man more.

I would hope they actually have Mysterio's body if they were going to charge Peter.

Dope movie. It was a bit long like most Marvel movies are now, and the resolution was kinda meh, but all the cool shit outweighed the dumb shit so I loved it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Roflmao, he literally says they did everything possible to connect the two series after saying it’s the same character. Your grasping at straws is quite funny though.
    He is contradicting himself tho. He says, well he believes it's the same character, he approached him the same. But "I mean, obviously, my character in Hawkeye is physically stronger and can take a lot more physical abuse." so it's obviously not the same character then, right?

But sure lets say it's canon. Damn it's gonna be weird When Cottonmouth shows up again as a half vampire... killing other vampires. Does that also mean that Mariah tricked Tony Stark in CW with thad sad story about her son dying so Sokovia? Then we also have this recent interview with Jessica Henwick who declined an audition for a role in Shang-Chi because she hoped that she one day could reprise her role as Colleen Wing instead.

Feige knew that the audience wanted Charlie Cox and Vincent back, so he brought them back as fan service, that doesn't mean that NF shows are canon. So until Feige says otherwise I am leaning towards NF is not canon and they don't have to be. Especially DD, it's great as it is, doesn't have to be connected to the MCU and vice versa.

Canon or not doesn't matter to me. What matters is that two people who were previously perfectly cast for the roles of Daredevil and Kingpin have now been cast in the MCU as Daredevil and Kingpin.

Same with JJJ.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post

How much time did he even have left in school? I'm sure seeing them actually happy in school while maybe heartbreaking would atleast have him realize he did the right thing. I wonder if he will end up just being Peter to survive/get cash and be Spider Man more.
    Well, the movie starts with them just going back to school...so most of the year I would guess. And that's a year where he needs to work in order to pay his rent and such. Also, if you're a super genius like Peter Parker...why spend a year in high school, with no friends...when you can just get your GED over the weekend?

And yeah, he's probably going to be almost completely Spider-Man in his free time... for a bit anyway. Peter Parker doesn't really have any commitments as of right now.

I would hope they actually have Mysterio's body if they were going to charge Peter.
    I just wouldn't put it past Mysterio to fake his own death in an attempt to frame Peter. It's kinda in his wheelhouse.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2022-01-04 at 09:04 PM.

Imagine if they held back showing off the villains in the trailers and everyone on the net wasnt obsessed with finding spoilers about just how many spider-men were in this film how special it could have been in the theater.

People who link dodgy low grain photos of people shooting on set or their stunt double on set, I blame you for taking the magic out of cinema.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Yeah the magic part is the only problem I had with the film. Like why was the spell even effecting the multiverse in the first place?
    because the spell used the multiverse as one of their basis, it prob worked as tapping in the variants of you, in other universes, who don't know something happened, and merging memories.

Like, with strange party at kamataj, he cleaned everyone memory because the people in other multiverse didn't had this party, he was able to stabilize.

With peter case, he tried tod raw from other multiverses, where no one knew he was peter parker in order to erase other memories.

Since its a delicate spell that works with multiverse, when peter start messing with it it created something else entirely.

Do you guys think Spider-woman will take over in Tom's absence?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Do you guys think Spider-woman will take over in Tom's absence?
    Tom isn't going anywhere, and its prob Miles who will get the torch as marvel spider.

the others like silk will be sony spin-off movies.

It seemed more like a movie for the people who enjoy Hollywood actors and the cameo appearances. The novelty of seeing Tobey McGuire and Garfield again seemed like the biggest appeal for people, the weird misfire of Dr. Strange's character arc was bizarre to me as others pointed out, the trailers made it seem like maybe Dr Strange wasn't actually going to show Peter a magical parlour trick yet that is exactly what he did. Wtf? What a huge mistake for Dr Strange to make, its like Bruce Banner winking to Spider-Man before jumping off a building into a crowded mall.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2022-02-20 at 05:39 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    It seemed more like a movie for the people who enjoy Hollywood actors and the cameo appearances. The novelty of seeing Tobey McGuire and Garfield again seemed like the biggest appeal for people, the weird misfire of Dr. Strange's character arc was bizarre to me as others pointed out, the trailers made it seem like maybe Dr Strange wasn't actually going to show Peter a magical parlour trick yet that is exactly what he did. Wtf? What a huge mistake for Dr Strange to make, its like Bruce Banner winking to Spider-Man before jumping off a building into a crowded mall.
    not only the cameo though, the old villains did an extremely good job, Dafoe was amazing as green goblin once again, and imo, best villain in MCU.

Strange always ahs being arrogant and drunk with power, he manipulate time and powerful magic before, he would totally do that.

Went to see it with my nephew, entertaining film despite the frequent corniness... though I didn't see the Spiderman film with that bushy haired fella that had Electro and Doc Croc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Bout a month out from digital release date.
    am i crazy, i remember it was going to be first day of march, bummer

hyped for the extra scenes with Murdock and the peters hanging out

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    am i crazy, i remember it was going to be first day of march, bummer

hyped for the extra scenes with Murdock and the peters hanging out
    March 22 for pvod and Apr 12 for DVD's and Blu-Rays.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    There was nothing weird about Strange's behaviour in the movie. The entire thing was straight up peak Strange. He is basically Tony Stark without having had his "perhaps I need to be more responsible with this power" moment: Pure arrogance. He never really changed from being the super arrogant surgeon he started out as, he just transitioned to being a super arrogant sorcerer instead. He 100% is the kind of guy who would straight up alter reality with a spell if he thought it would help a brother out. He just shouldn't have brought Parker along to participate in the ritual if it was that easily interfered with. Also, not sure where you get the idea that the trailer made it seem like Strange wasn't going to do what he did, because the wink so heavily telegraphed that it was impossible to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    There was nothing weird about Strange's behaviour in the movie. The entire thing was straight up peak Strange. He is basically Tony Stark without having had his "perhaps I need to be more responsible with this power" moment: Pure arrogance. He never really changed from being the super arrogant surgeon he started out as, he just transitioned to being a super arrogant sorcerer instead. He 100% is the kind of guy who would straight up alter reality with a spell if he thought it would help a brother out. He just shouldn't have brought Parker along to participate in the ritual if it was that easily interfered with. Also, not sure where you get the idea that the trailer made it seem like Strange wasn't going to do what he did, because the wink so heavily telegraphed that it was impossible to miss.
    That's kind of the point, Strange being arrogant to some degree wasn't an issue (even though that's a big part of the arc he had in his original movie, becoming less of an arrogant person), but being stupid for no reason is an issue. The whole interaction leading up to the spell going awry is probably the biggest issue of the film, as you mentioned, because it was written like he's intentionally being obtuse. It's further compounded by even allowing Peter to even have the opportunity to interfere in the first place. Based upon their previous actions, Strange could've/should've easily avoided all the miscommunication that even an outsider would likely bring up, let alone someone as smart as he is. If he knows conditionals can be made to the spell, why wouldn't you bring this up and go over them and assuming Peter wants the most extreme result that would likely upset anyone? However, he has to be obtuse and act out-of-character so the movie's plot can happen.

All in all, the weakest part of the movie is Dr. Strange himself, but the movie overall is still very enjoyable if you overlook him being out-of-character.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    That's kind of the point, Strange being arrogant to some degree wasn't an issue (even though that's a big part of the arc he had in his original movie, becoming less of an arrogant person), but being stupid for no reason is an issue.

All in all, the weakest part of the movie is Dr. Strange himself, but the movie overall is still very enjoyable if you overlook him being out-of-character.
    Again though, I honestly don't think he was "out of character" here.

He never stopped being arrogant. He simply shifted the focus of his arrogance from "My hands make me the greatest neurosurgeon in the world" to "My genius makes me the greatest sorcerer in the world". The first movie was never about him becoming more humble, it was about him learning that his physical body's capabilities didn't need to define who he was. Practically EVERYTHING he did in the first movie after learning to harness magic reeked of arrogance, from using the time stone to undo the destruction of the sanctum to being so crazy as to literally "bargain" with an unfathomably powerful extra-dimensional entity purely off the hunch that your plan would work.

We see very little character development for him in Infinity War and he spends pretty much the entirety of End Game in absentia because he gets snapped. They even specifically mention it in No Way Home by way of noting that Wong is actually the Sorcerer Supreme because he picked up the title during Strange's absence during the Blip.

So he very much is still going to be the very arrogant Strange we were left with at the end of the first movie. As such, him doing dumb shit with magic to help the kid he saved the universe with isn't really as hard to believe as it sounds.

I really like this movie