Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's almost as if hypocrisy shows you don't have any logical reasons to believe what you believe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'll also point out that during the period you describe, conservatives labored intensely to undermine workers rights and institute at-will employment as the default which is the thing that makes 'cancelling someone by getting them fired over social media' possible. Something something Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

There's no cancel culture. It's half at-will employment, half "you're annoyed people can reply to your social media posts with a picture of a pig crapping on its balls without repercussions".
    Basically. The funny part is that in the latter half of the 20th century, conservative culture was creating laws that would allow them to socially ostracize anyone they deemed "outsiders" without repercussions. Conservatives literally created the infrastructure for allowing cancel culture to happen so they could "cancel" out LGBTQ and anyone else they deemed outsiders/unworthy.

Conservative culture ostracized so many people, it created a counter-culture that itself became mainstream. And now that same culture that has become the more accepted mainstream is telling conservatives to fuck off, and they're having a melt down that they're no longer the ones making the rules of what is allowed and what isn't.

So congrats, conservatives are the ones who gave corporations the rights to tell people to fuck off, and now they're big sad that those same corporations are telling conservatives and their fascism to fuck off.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Should anyone be surprised that Republicans despise the 1st Amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Here's a thought. Fuck your nationalism and get rid of anthems at games, problem solved.
    Fuck, I'd love to see the shitstorm that comes with Sporting Leagues deciding not to have the national anthem sung at games.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2021-02-25 at 12:25 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I kind of like the knee support thing.

It's a solid indication of which stocks and shares are about to crash and is normally a good time to buy.

I mean, if you bought stocks and shares in any NFL related company after the knee thing started and then sold them after they started promoting Brady again, you will have made a tidy little profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds123macd View Post
    I kind of like the knee support thing.

It's a solid indication of which stocks and shares are about to crash and is normally a good time to buy.

I mean, if you bought stocks and shares in any NFL related company after the knee thing started and then sold them after they started promoting Brady again, you will have made a tidy little profit.
    Sorry, swing and a miss. Nike sales went up significantly.

Wrong, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Sorry, swing and a miss. Nike sales went up significantly.

Wrong, again.
    Your feelers aren't a good indication of stock share prices.

I wouldn't invest significant amounts of money if i were you. But by all means give it a go if you're feeling lucky xx

Quote Originally Posted by Ds123macd View Post
    Your feelers aren't a good indication of stock share prices.

I wouldn't invest significant amounts of money if i were you. But by all means give it a go if you're feeling lucky xx
    That's funny, Nike seems to have done just fine...

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NKE/history?p=NKE

Look at those quantifiable statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's funny, Nike seems to have done just fine...

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NKE/history?p=NKE

Look at those quantifiable statistics.
    Yep, all those posts, and he couldn't post a single link to a source to back himself up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I still don't understand when kneeling became an insult.
    When it was about bringing America's attention to African-Americans being murdered by the police.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Fuck, I'd love to see the shitstorm that comes with Sporting Leagues deciding not to have the national anthem sung at games.
    I've been a fan of getting rid of it since the whole kneeling drama started a few years ago. If people want to protest, they can do it on their own time. People watch sports to get away from politics and I get annoyed seeing all this political stuff being shoved into it.

I've been a fan of getting rid of it since the whole kneeling drama started a few years ago. If people want to protest, they can do it on their own time. People watch sports to get away from politics and I get annoyed seeing all this political stuff being shoved into it.
    So, you don't actually care about the "nationalism" at all then.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Cancel culture isn't real though and anyone who thinks it is real should be fired immediately.
    So you agree the entire Republican party should be fired from their positions.

Thanks.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I don't doubt that all of the major sports leagues would love to just do away with the anthem and all the drama that has been following it, but the problem is nobody wants to be the first one to do it. Holy hell the backlash they would face would be out of this universe and they know it.
    Yeah, also...The NFL really likes that military sponsorship. Don't think they'd be too keen on giving that up.

10+ Year Old Account
    “I have the luxury of being apolitical and don’t like it when my bubble is intruded upon” is not an argument.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-25 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I don't doubt that all of the major sports leagues would love to just do away with the anthem and all the drama that has been following it, but the problem is nobody wants to be the first one to do it. Holy hell the backlash they would face would be out of this universe and they know it.
    Mark Cuban did it, but got slapped down by NBA after conservatives presented a very sensible and pragmatic justi... ha! No... it was a shit show...

I used to watch the Teliesen (sp?) WoW news... good times...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This is going to be tricky.

A public university is effectively the government and this would immediately be a black-and-white (get it?) First Amendment case.

A private university (who does not receive state money) could do this I suppose, but if there's a signed contract (i.e. the student has already enrolled) it seems pretty questionable.

In addition, there's the public view of a school stopping a peaceful protest from its own students. Perhaps that will be features on the campus tour?
    Remember the last time the government stepped in to stop a peaceful protest?

̶A̶l̶l̶i̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶B̶e̶t̶h̶ ̶K̶r̶a̶u̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶J̶e̶f̶f̶r̶e̶y̶ ̶G̶l̶e̶n̶n̶ ̶M̶i̶l̶l̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶ ̶S̶a̶n̶d̶r̶a̶ ̶L̶e̶e̶ ̶S̶c̶h̶e̶u̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶W̶i̶l̶l̶i̶a̶m̶ ̶K̶n̶o̶x̶ ̶S̶c̶h̶r̶o̶e̶d̶e̶r̶ Pepperidge Farm Remembers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing surprising about this is the sheer amount of hypocrisy the GOP has decided to be comfortable with. It's almost impressive how shameless they all are.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    So, you don't actually care about the "nationalism" at all then.
    Let's just say that it helped start the conversation that wasn't really being had outside of small circles of sports fans. I've wanted it removed for a long time, especially since Americans seem to like bastardizing the Canadian anthem at every opportunity.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2021-02-26 at 12:13 AM.

If people want to protest, they can do it on their own time.
    This is their own time. Work protests have, and will continue to exist.

People watch sports to get away from politics and I get annoyed seeing all this political stuff being shoved into it.
    I mean...sporting events are largely conservative politics in-action in many regards, folks just don't notice it - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-conservative/