got a 3060 at MSRP

Two months ago I built my first gaming PC with the following:

- MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus motherboard

- i7 10700k cpu (overclocked stably to 5ghz on all cores at 1.29v)

- 16gb of 3600 MHz CL16 Crucial Ballistix ram (overclocked stably to 4000 MHz)

- Noctua NH-D15 air cooler

- 1440p 144Hz monitor

but with the obvious GPU situation I have been using a Radeon HD 7850 that a friend gave me. However, all I have played in the last 2 months is WoW Classic and this setup, even with the old card, has been more than enough.

I just got the EVGA email for buying a 3060 at MSRP (the $389 one with the metal backplate and slightly higher boost clock) and while awesome, I want to make sure this card will handle my near-future gaming. I plan on continuing to play WoW TBC Classic which obviously is fine, but I also plan to play Amazon's New World when it comes out.

How will the 3060 handle New World at 1440p? I'm OK with turning down things like shadow and lightning etc as I dont really care about them as long as texture definition or equivalent settings are at absolute ultra max, which is what's most important for me for the visual aspect of a game.

My main gripe is the monitor I bought is 144Hz and I dont think I will be able to make use of it as the 3060 wont produce high fps.
    Last edited by Moropo; 2021-05-14 at 11:22 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moropo View Post
    Two months ago I built my first gaming PC with the following:

- MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus motherboard

- i7 10700k cpu (overclocked stably to 5ghz on all cores at 1.29v)

- 16gb of 3600 MHz CL16 Crucial Ballistix ram (overclocked stably to 4000 MHz)

- Noctua NH-D15 air cooler

- 1440p 144Hz monitor

but with the obvious GPU situation I have been using a Radeon HD 7850 that a friend gave me. However, all I have played in the last 2 months is WoW Classic and this setup, even with the old card, has been more than enough.

I just got the EVGA email for buying a 3060 at MSRP (the $389 one with the metal backplate and slightly higher boost clock) and while awesome, I want to make sure this card will handle my near-future gaming. I plan on continuing to play WoW TBC Classic which obviously is fine, but I also plan to play Amazon's New World when it comes out.

How will the 3060 handle New World at 1440p? I'm OK with turning down things like shadow and lightning etc as I dont really care about them as long as texture definition or equivalent settings are at absolute ultra max, which is what's most important for me for the visual aspect of a game.

My main gripe is the monitor I bought is 144Hz and I dont think I will be able to make use of it as the 3060 wont produce high fps.
    Just youtube 3060 1440p and check the video's.
    Wont get 144fps but 60-90 is possible on ultra settings.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

3060 should be powerful enough for 1440p gaming. IMO fps doesn't matter for 3rd person mmo I have 144 hz laptop and I limit the fps to 70 in WOW because I don't see any difference and the fan noices is less but in FPS games I have it cranked to 144.