Why were so many lovable and memorable sci fi spaceship crews created in the 90s?

As well as early 2000s?

Not nearly as well known as the above but every bit as lovable!

Why do so many of pop culture's most lovable and memorable spaceship crews come from shows from the 90s and 2000s?

Did human space exploration from the 60s to the 90s give society a sense of wonder for space that inspired a generation of sci fi creators to make space themed sci fi?

Only thing I liked about Farscape were the puppet aliens. Vast majority of sci fi aliens are just rubber forhead aliens, aka a humanoid with two arms, two legs, and a head. Puppet aliens are really distinct. The only other puppet aliens I've seen are from the Star Wars movies.

The nu BSG reboot miniseries was good. The show, however, dragged on for far too long. By the end of the first season it was outstaying its welcome. I didn't care at all for the dr. Baltar subplot. Starbuck was intolerable.

Firefly is overated but still good. Jayne, Hoban, Malcom, and Booker were the best. Inara was dull and detracted from my enjoyment of the show.

Babylon 5 had the misfortune of having the main actor change halfway through which hurts the consistency of being attached to the character.

Only good character on Voyager was the Doctor and Neelix.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Why do so many of pop culture's most lovable and memorable spaceship crews come from shows from the 90s and 2000s?

Did human space exploration from the 60s to the 90s give society a sense of wonder for space that inspired a generation of sci fi creators to make space themed sci fi?
    You're just talking about how sci-fi TV was still in vogue during the 90s.

There was a lot of sci fi TV before the 90s. After Star Wars in 1974, every Hollywood studio was greenlighting cheap space opera knock off movies to try to cash in. There were also a lot of sci-fi shows like Lost in Space or the original Battlestar Galactica. I think it was Star Trek TNG that really kicked off the growth of sci fi television.

10+ Year Old Account
    Believe it or not it's very very common. It has to do with copying a working formula and trying to recreate the effect and make money. This is just one in particular you noticed, but the same is true of many other formula's more specifically.

Medical TV Shows, Cop Shows if you look at them all closely it's the same formula.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Only saw Star Trek Voyager (not bad. Started dragging...then the season with 7 of 9 began and it picked up a bit for a good season.); BSG i caught later and liked. But knew the writing would eventually crash. And never was able to catch all of Firefly but what I did see should have merited a full season and then some.