Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    A jab is a fast, straight punch from your face towards your opponents face, as opposed to a hook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Have you also noticed when Blizzard attempts to use a fancy synonym, but get it wrong?

Two examples:

During the "We'll Make an Aspirant Out of You" you are sometimes told to Jab, Kick, or Dodge.

"Jab" may sound like a fancy word for a throwing your fist around, but it has a meaning and what you do isn't a Jab (using lead fist), but a straight punch (or possibly a cross) - as you are throwing your back hand (the right as an orthodox boxer).

There are a number of cloth "Mitts" including the SL 'Impossibly Oversized Mitts', and some Mittens like the "Wooly Wendigo" ones. But if you look closely you will see that they are not mitten-style gloves - like oven mittens, but normal gloves where you can see the fingers.

Does this also bother you and do you have any other examples?
    Not really fancy words and you are basically picking at pixilated designs and a generic punch animation.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

using different words for what in laymans terms is more or less the same thing gives the game a bit of variety.

if they could only use words that actually match the in game assets, i think you would notice and get annoyed by that a lot faster. especially for weapons/armor. not to mention you'd need different words for different races/genders in a bunch of cases.

i will say though, this sort of stuff sometimes really destroys my suspension of disbelief in movies.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-03-19 at 08:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    What you know as a technical term for a specific type of punch is informally just a synonym for hitting something with your hand, or even to push something with a quick movement. Some dictionary entries:
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jab?s=t
    https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/jab
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...ry/english/jab

So the usage of the word "jab" is in fact perfectly fine in the context of this world quest. You were simply unaware of other possible meanings of this word.
    Gonna disagree with this. That definition of jabbed would never be used in the context taking place in the world quest. They aren't talking about a fast movement of the hand, playfully jabbing something or whatever: they are specifically talking about training a strike in preparation for fighting. Using "jab" in that context is clearly talking specifically about a punch. No one would ever use "jab" while combat training and mean the broader definition.

This was almost certainly a case where the text was written separate from when the actual animations were put in place, or someone just didn't know (or more likely care) about making the animation match the word.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Allow me to explain, OP.

What you know as a technical term for a specific type of punch is informally just a synonym for hitting something with your hand, or even to push something with a quick movement. Some dictionary entries:
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jab?s=t
    Which says "short quick punch"; because it is done with the lead hand.

The "straight punch" by the right hand travels longer and hits harder (if it hits); and that is what is shown.

Which says: "a quick short blow, esp (in boxing) a straight punch with the leading hand"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Came here to say something similar. I always think we reached the absolute low of things to complain about ...and then another week and another thread happens.

I think I now should be pedantic and point out how in OP's post of "during the "We'll Make an Aspirant Out of You" you are sometimes told to Jab, Kick, or Dodge" there very likely should not be a comma before "or".
    That's the Oxford Comma, which is literally a matter of life or death - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zim...nel=LegalEagle

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    There are a number of cloth "Mitts" including the SL 'Impossibly Oversized Mitts', and some Mittens like the "Wooly Wendigo" ones. But if you look closely you will see that they are not mitten-style gloves - like oven mittens, but normal gloves where you can see the fingers.
    Seems like more of a "we don't want to refer to every cloth/leather hand slot piece as "gloves," so they use similar terms irrespective of the model.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    every now and again I come to mmo champ forums and I see a thread complaining about something that could be only described as "petty and insignificant" - today is one of those days, here we are again!
    ditto.

10c.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Oh look...I googled "mittens" and that is what I found:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mitt...w=1865&bih=929
    Ehmm... Those are mostly mittens.

At first glance it looked like two exceptions on the first page, but one is actually a pair of convertible fingerless fleece kids mittens where you can pull down the finger cover from the back so that it forms a mitten.

if this is the only thing you find to whine about i think wow is in a pretty good state

I lie awake most nights, deeply bothered by such things. Then I ponder if we're actually reading English/Spanish/Native tongue or if Blizzard's universal translator is just doing the best it can to translate Azerothian languages into something we can understand, and that's why such things occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    A jab is a fast, straight punch from your face towards your opponents face, as opposed to a hook.
    Exactly.

As for "Hook", the dredgers got the correct animation for "Left Hook".

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    No, it doesn't bother me, because to me, it is the epitome of "finding things simply to whine about".
    Whiners gonna whine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I see biology pet peeves all the time. Highmountain Tauren have their antlers (shed and regrow every year) labeled as horns (permanent).
    I don't see why ppl try to put so much emphasis on biology in a fantasy world in which the universe itself doesn't even have a million years of history and virtually every species in existance was either directly created or mutated due to a powerful magic source.

But then again I see microbiologists as the only ones actually attributing to science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.