Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why can't the travel network portal to Oribos not be two-way?

It really baffles me. Does anyone at Blizzard really think going flight afk is interesting gameplay?

I'm not against flight paths, in fact, I think they are important to show the scale of the world, but in Shadowlands everything is disconnected from another either way and when we build a portal... just let it be 2 way please.

Hearthstone in Sanctum, and having the HS CD Wrist enchant (unless you're a caster) pretty much takes care of that.

Late PS: I also never find myself "stranded" in Oribos. I don't see such hubs as a place to linger, I go there, pick up or turn in some weekly, buy rep gear as catchup on alts etc.
    When I'm done, I can either hearth to my Sanctum, or fly to some other zone / drop into the Maw where I would do stuff - which is disconnected from the Sanctum-Oribos portal network anyway.
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2021-03-22 at 02:44 PM.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You still have your dala hs and then there is that guildcloak which gives you a teleport to OG or SW.

Hs enchant on bracers help alot as well.

My mage was extra excited to spend 10,000 anima to get a free portal to Oribos.

I set my HS in sanctum, and teleport to oribos - but for those plebs that have no teleport - use your dalaran hearth to get to oribos.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Engineering has a portal to all zones in SL, including Oribos.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    and a very short CD 2.

But yeah,
    correct HS place,
    portal,
    garrison>ashran>sw>oribos is pretty fast,
    Dalaran > SW > oribos
    For druids > heart of forest > dalaran > sw > oribos
    Then you have several items like jaina's necklace, Captain's Signet of Command ( 30 min cd)

So a lot of options.

But to your question, to do that they need a portal room....that is endless . Because of the endless afterlives that are out there. And with the decent to good fast travel in zones you already have. Its kinda good right now.

Really? People complaining about transportation at this point?

There are 3 easily obtainable ways to get to Oribos with minimal walking/flying, 2 of which with very short cd: Dalaran HS, Garrison HS, Faction capital cloak. On top of these you can set your HS to your covenant.

And there's 3 more ways to get to Dalaran, Jaina's locket to teleport to old Dalaran, old and new Dalaran Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Hearthstone in Sanctum, and having the HS CD Wrist enchant (unless you're a caster) pretty much takes care of that.

Late PS: I also never find myself "stranded" in Oribos. I don't see such hubs as a place to linger, I go there, pick up or turn in some weekly, buy rep gear as catchup on alts etc.
    When I'm done, I can either hearth to my Sanctum, or fly to some other zone / drop into the Maw where I would do stuff - which is disconnected from the Sanctum-Oribos portal network anyway.
    I just can't understand why blizzsrd couldn't put that hearthstone enchant on another armor slot that doesn't compete with a straight up intellect buff. Like why? Why not have that enchant on head piece or shoulder or something? So fucking stupid. I guess blizzard wants us to use a macro to switch bracers when we try to hearth? Is that really what blizzard wants?
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-03-22 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    And it only requires rank 1 engineering on alts - it's a TOY so it makes it really easy.

Speaking of which,
    Engineering is great to have cuz of that, and also because you can disable those stupid slimes in DoS even with r1
    Alchemy is great because you dont even have to train it past rank 1 to get 2h flask

I guess I've never really considered it to be an issue as I main a shaman and have the hearthstone CD reduction enchant on my bracers, så I effectively have 2 hearthstones to my sanctum with a 10min CD each.

That said, I originally thought the portal would be two-way when I bought the travel network rank 3 upgrade. It was never much of a hindrance, but was nevertheless a disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    It really baffles me. Does anyone at Blizzard really think going flight afk is interesting gameplay?

I'm not against flight paths, in fact, I think they are important to show the scale of the world, but in Shadowlands everything is disconnected from another either way and when we build a portal... just let it be 2 way please.
    This baffles me. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, of course, but this feels like a case of "Given a hand, want the whole arm."

I mean, Warlords of Draenor didn't have portals to Ashran, we had to fly there. In Legion, some order halls (like the hunter) didn't have a teleporter TO the order hall (but had one to return to Dalaran).

I mean, your question (does anyone at Blizzard really think going flight AFK is interesting gameplay?) can be used for ALL flight points. Does Blizzard really think it's interesting gameplay to AFK to fly from Oribos to the farthest corner of Revendreth for the world boss? Or to the farthest corner of Bastion? Ardenweald? Or basically ANY flight point? Why not replace all of that with portals? :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I mean, Warlords of Draenor didn't have portals to Ashran, we had to fly there. In Legion, some order halls (like the hunter) didn't have a teleporter TO the order hall (but had one to return to Dalaran).
    We did get a portal to Ashran in WoD after fully upgrading the main building to rank 3. I'm not sure if it was there from the start of the expansion, but I know it was available while WoD was current content. Hunters also had a tauren NPC in Krasus Landing that instantly teleported you to the sanctum after a short animation showing you taking flight on an eagle.

However, during BfA, Alliance characters had no teleport to Mechagon and had to fly all the way there from the mainland. Meanwhile as Horde I just spoke to a goblin that teleported me there.

With that said, this Oribos portal thing is a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    You still have your dala hs and then there is that guildcloak which gives you a teleport to OG or SW.

Hs enchant on bracers help alot as well.

what do I want in OG or SW?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    and a very short CD 2.

But yeah,
    correct HS place,
    portal,
    garrison>ashran>sw>oribos is pretty fast,
    Dalaran > SW > oribos
    For druids > heart of forest > dalaran > sw > oribos
    Then you have several items like jaina's necklace, Captain's Signet of Command ( 30 min cd)

So a lot of options.

But to your question, to do that they need a portal room....that is endless . Because of the endless afterlives that are out there. And with the decent to good fast travel in zones you already have. Its kinda good right now.

They really don't. Just put a portal at the exact place where you spawn when you use the portal from your Sanctum to Oribos. One portal is enough, if you are NF you don't need a portal to Bastion etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    They really don't. Just put a portal at the exact place where you spawn when you use the portal from your Sanctum to Oribos. One portal is enough, if you are NF you don't need a portal to Bastion etc.
    So if you're not Night Fae, you are SOL? I mean, as far as I can tell, it's pretty obvious we'd need one portal for every covenant, considering apparently one portal connecting to two separate locations is not something that can be done. I mean, think about it: portals to SW/OR, why do we have separate portals to each instead of just one portal sending Horde to OR and Alliance to SW? In Shattrath they're literally sitting next to each other. Same thing in Oribos.

Do we need portals everywhere? Yeah I get flying might not be the most fun thing but back in the day before we had portals everywhere, the travel was something that helped made the world feel big and that was nice. The fact you can get pretty much anywhere you want now in 2-3 minutes is a detriment.

cause you can't have good things in retail
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Yeah I was so disappointed it's not two-way. I'm Kyrian btw.
    Actually, I was disappointed 3 times:
    - they didn't do a portal like the others in my network portal, so I can't go from whichever portal I want (even though supposedly it's an upgrade for the existing network), have to go to base to take this specific portal
    - it doesn't go two ways - this was my biggest disappointment, felt the 10k anima go down the drain
    - it's SO far off, you actually have to run so much and get to level 2 and then run some more and then take the flight to somewhere else; they could've put the spawn point near the inner circle...

So basically:
    - I only use it if I actually have business in Oribos / Maw (which is exactly once a week on reset day)
    - I never use it as a shortcut to other zones - I just take portal to the most SouthWestern portal in Bastion and take FP from there, because it seems faster time-wise
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2021-03-23 at 12:43 PM.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's not a matter of "well there are all these ways to bounce through old content to get back" so much so as "just let it go back".
    Like, in Night Fae land, you have the mushroom travel network that works both ways; you take one to an area from the little underground hub, then you go back to that hub and back to sanctum.
    Maldraxxus has the green portal guys that zip you out and back to the seat.

Sure, everyone has 3 SW/Org tabards, a new Dal HS, an old Dal ring, a garrison HS, etc etc etc, but the point is it shouldn't need all the bounce-around when it could have just been "a new portal that goes only to your covenant sanctum is now there".
    Like, it's a QoL that doesn't seem *that* out of line, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    This baffles me. [...]
    I mean, your question (does anyone at Blizzard really think going flight AFK is interesting gameplay?) can be used for ALL flight points.
    This isn't about FPs in general though. The problem is they implemented a feature FOR something and it's half-assed. You spend 10k anima for it and it's neigh useless. If I would have known it saved me no time, I would have spent the anima on xmog or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    My mage was extra excited to spend 10,000 anima to get a free portal to Oribos.

I set my HS in sanctum, and teleport to oribos - but for those plebs that have no teleport - use your dalaran hearth to get to oribos.
    My mage always has it's HS set up in some random location, until 8.2 it was Drustwar, after that it was Mechagon, after that Uldum. During Legion it was near Onyxias lair. This is one thing which I really love about the mage.

Currently it's in covenant sanctum in Revendreth, fuck spending anima on the portal on it. On the other hand portal was the first thing I did on my paladin. Also he is engineer so I get wormhole teleports, mainly to the maw because usually there are two quests to do near in the location where you land.