Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The top headline on every news site on Earth is the settlement.

Except FOX News. They're screaming into the wind about the Hatch Act.

Yeah, big bold font and everything. The Hatch Act. After 4 years of Trump, that's the best they can do?

Today, FOX News is the news. And the story is how fucking pathetic they are.

I'm awarding myself 788 CNN points. One for each million in the settlement, and one more for that pathetic deflection attempt I did cite so it counts.

That's a lot of money, they're gonna have a great Christmas party this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Fox comes out of this case much weaker than they went into it
    Completely agree. In addition to the massive money loss and the widespread ridicule, they enter the history books as the worst offender in history.

That, and they're losing Trump by the day.

I'm sure, no this isn't sarcasm, they'll be more careful in the future. Once you're objectively the biggest defaming liar on the planet, you can't afford to get caught a second time.

I wonder what Grossberg's going to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Yeah, big bold font and everything. The Hatch Act. After 4 years of Trump, that's the best they can do?

I'm awarding myself 788 CNN points. One for each million in the settlement, and one more for that pathetic deflection attempt I did cite so it counts.
    Nah. Also r/Politics which has been infiltrated by right-wing fucktards in their admin pool are likely frantically removing every post regarding the settlement because somehow, in their twisted pretzel logic, a lawsuit settlement about the most prominent source of right-wing news in the US regarding them lying about voting problems in a Presidential US election is deemed not about current US politics.

Holy shit, something finally made Fox care about Hatch Act violations?!

The Trump Admin made the hatch act attempts a Joke. You can point to many violations during Trumps time.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Nah. Also r/Politics which has been infiltrated by right-wing fucktards in their admin pool are likely frantically removing every post regarding the settlement because somehow, in their twisted pretzel logic, a lawsuit settlement about the most prominent source of right-wing news in the US regarding them lying about voting problems in a Presidential US election is deemed not about current US politics.
    I mean...no, not really. It's the same as it's always been and users are still dumb as shit. Just a bad decision by a group of flawed people that leave fucking Breitbart whitelisted in some vain attempt at "neutrality" or something. Mods there have always seemed to be fairly "enlightened centrists".

Also I lurk there and lurk the new posts, it's been spammed to shit. Constantly. Most of the removals is per their other rules about having like 50 threads on a topic. This is usual any time there's a "big thing", board gets spammed to fuck and mods need to clean up the dozens and dozens of posts sharing the same few stories (I mean like, 12 of the same ABC story, 7 of the same CNN story, 4 of the same BBC story etc.).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Holy shit, something finally made Fox care about Hatch Act violations?!
    No.

Something finally made them pretend to care. Biden's been doing well, they were desperate for a front-page article that wasn't literally how much they suck.

Oh, and:
    We are pleased to have reached a settlement of our dispute with Dominion Voting Systems. This settlement reflects FOX’s continued commitment to the highest journalistic standards.

We are hopeful that our decision to resolve this dispute with Dominion amicably, instead of the acrimony of a divisive trial, allows the country to move forward from these issues
    -- FOX Corp, in a statement, trying to draw a parallel between them and Trump

By the way, I love how they think this was dividing the country and causing problems. No. They were caught objectively lying and it cost them eight hundred milion dolars. Nobody was protesting this, nobody was rioting, and ther's no GoFundYourself to help poor FOX News. It's just a liar trying to make it sound like society's to blame for being caught for their poor words and actions.

+1 more CNN point for citing their statement.

Ah the American Way: solve problems with money.

If the settlement does not include Fox News to tell their viewers about their lies it means nothing.

I mean...no, not really. It's the same as it's always been and users are still dumb as shit. Just a bad decision by a group of flawed people that leave fucking Breitbart whitelisted in some vain attempt at "neutrality" or something. Mods there have always seemed to be fairly "enlightened centrists".

Also I lurk there and lurk the new posts, it's been spammed to shit. Constantly. Most of the removals is per their other rules about having like 50 threads on a topic. This is usual any time there's a "big thing", board gets spammed to fuck and mods need to clean up the dozens and dozens of posts sharing the same few stories (I mean like, 12 of the same ABC story, 7 of the same CNN story, 4 of the same BBC story etc.).
    Everyone I go to the reason for removal is "Off-Topic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

If the settlement does not include Fox News to tell their viewers about their lies it means nothing.
    Disagree, but not by much.

The public knows this is admission enough. Besdes, we all know it would be a temporary, forced admission. Carlson would say something like "Due to a court order, we are forced to say we reported things about Dominion that, later, turned out to be false. Meanwhile, Biden's LLC ties to a vast criminal--" you get the idea.

Murdoch, in all likelihood, is warning everyone he's ever met that, if they do this again, he'll buy a nuclear reactor just to throw them in.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well that's lame as absolute fuck. I wanted Murdoch on the fuckin stand.

Seriously, super fuckin lame, they had a great case going.

Now to wait on full terms of the settlement, which I hope is a bit more than Fox just ponying up almost $800M dollars which yeah, that's not going to clean out Fox's bank account but is sure one of the bigger settlements I've seen.
    I will be interested to see the full terms as well. Dominion's attorney said "lies have consequences" so you can bet at least some of the terms won't be sealed. Plus, and this is very important, Faux "News" already has been found guilty of lying. Which is YUGE, in and of itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

It wouldn't matter if Faux News did tell their viewers [again], because their viewers don't believe Faux News lied - even after Faux News told them they lied about other things.

I'm at a loss for the reference at the moment, but essentially Faux News has created a manifestation regenerating cult. The cult wouldn't believe the "leader" if the leader told the Cult that it lied or was wrong.

A fucking money grab!

For $800 million which in the end might wound Fox but fuck it.

Giving money is no admission of guilt since most who see what was public that Fox was effed.

Edit: Dominion could have gotten something more than just money for the public. All about the money.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Man I hate they settled, it would have been so entertaining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Giving money is no admission of guilt since most who see what was public that Fox was effed.
    I think you missed the part where they admitted to lying, it's part of the settlement.
    Last edited by diller; 2023-04-18 at 10:20 PM.

That they settled is disappointing.

But $800 million seems massive... Especially since it's almost half of the arbitrarily large shock-value number that the case was demanding to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I will be interested to see the full terms as well. Dominion's attorney said "lies have consequences" so you can bet at least some of the terms won't be sealed. Plus, and this is very important, Faux "News" already has been found guilty of lying. Which is YUGE, in and of itself.

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't matter if Faux News did tell their viewers [again], because their viewers don't believe Faux News lied - even after Faux News told them they lied about other things.

I'm at a loss for the reference at the moment, but essentially Faux News has created a manifestation regenerating cult. The cult wouldn't believe the "leader" if the leader told the Cult that it lied or was wrong.
    I'm willing to bet they turned over EVERYFUCKINGTHING related to Dominion, even things that may not have been relevant to this court case.
    Which maybe VERY relevant to PillowFucker, Ghoulini, The Krakhead, and other cases upcoming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's a bit disappointing. Still a large sum of money, but not that much for Fox.

Who knows why they settled. Maybe they needed money right now, maybe it would have dragged on forever and would have costed more than what they got now, or maybe they just got tired of and just wanted out.

Oh well, let's at least hope Fox learned it's lesson. Or maybe not, and pray it fucks it up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    Man I hate they settled, it would have been so entertaining.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you missed the part where they admitted to lying, it's part of the settlement.
    No they just said Dominion is the greatest company ever. The Big Lie that would have been vetted was the election was fake or delegitimate, whatever you want to call it.

In short this is like if CNN was sued by Ford and had to admit that Ford makes cars.

"Fox has admitted to telling lies about Dominion that caused enormous damage to my Company, our employees, and our customers." Here's the full statement from Dominion CEO John Poulos >>>

Official statement in link.

So Fox is just admitting that Dominion is this great company that processes votes at its best ability. As I stated this as benign as you get admitting McDonald's makes hamburgers.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2023-04-18 at 10:45 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That they settled is disappointing.

But $800 million seems massive... Especially since it's almost half of the arbitrarily large shock-value number that the case was demanding to begin with.
    The amount is beyond insane, and since it's a settlement, it will be handed over relatively quickly, and can't be reduced by appellate review. It might seem like it's disappointing, but this settlement is really YUGE in the legal community. Fox News had such a horrifyingly bad case, and was already found to have lied, that it didn't want to risk a jury giving up more than the $1.6B Dominion was asking for - they know their audience and their audience isn't going to be on the jury.

Dominion gets the money now, instead of in 12 years, and they get the full ruling in their favor. It's a major win for Dominion overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Well that's a bit disappointing. Still a large sum of money, but not that much for Fox.

Who knows why they settled. Maybe they needed money right now, maybe it would have dragged on forever and would have costed more than what they got now, or maybe they just got tired of and just wanted out.

Oh well, let's at least hope Fox learned it's lesson. Or maybe not, and pray it fucks it up again.
    You can't look at the settlement as a bad thing. It's VERY good. Done and done, Faux News pays through the nose for their lies - really and actual consequences for their actions. It's YUGE.

I'm just surprised the settlement took this long. Also Dominion was only valued at like 50m anyways, so this is massive for them, just somethingto put some context. Disappointed though.