Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Pee on your own time! Kentucky GOP advance bill to remove work break requirements

Committee-Approved Bill Proposes Removal of Kentucky Employers’ Lunch Break, Rest Period Requirements

In a move that has sparked controversy, Kentucky Republicans passed a bill on Wednesday that would eliminate the requirement for employers to provide “reasonable” lunch and rest breaks to their employees.

HB 500, championed by Representative Phillip Pratt of Georgetown, seeks to repeal existing state laws mandating lunch breaks within three to five hours of starting a work shift and rest periods every four hours.

The bill also proposes significant changes regarding minimum wage and overtime pay, including restrictions on compensation for travel time to and from work, activities outside of an employee’s main job duties, and eliminating mandatory overtime pay for the seventh consecutive day of work for those working over 40 hours a week.

Pratt argued that the bill aims to resolve confusion among businesses about the discrepancies between state and federal regulations regarding breaks, as federal law does not mandate employers to offer lunch or rest breaks. He believes this legislation will simplify compliance for businesses.

However, this bill has faced strong opposition from labor groups like the Kentucky State AFL-CIO and the Kentucky Education and Labor Cabinet, who argue it threatens to dismantle decades of wage and workplace protections for Kentucky workers.

Critics, including Dustin Pugel from the Kentucky Center for Economic Policy, warn that repealing these “guardrails” could endanger workers by depriving them of necessary rest and meal breaks, potentially leading to more accidents and less cautious behavior in high-risk situations.

The legislation has also raised concerns about the potential erosion of critical workplace standards that have been in place for years, with some laws dating back to 1958. Opponents fear it could result in workers having to work longer hours for less pay, impacting both their well-being and the amount of payroll taxes collected.

During the committee discussion, questions were raised about whether Pratt had consulted with labor groups, his own employees, or the Labor and Education Cabinet prior to introducing the bill.

Pratt defended the bill as intended to assist Kentucky businesses, not his own interests, and suggested that the modern job market’s dynamics would naturally encourage employers to provide breaks, despite the lack of a legal requirement.

This bill is part of a broader trend of contentious legislation presented by Pratt, including a recent proposal to relax child labor laws in Kentucky, allowing teenagers to work longer and later hours than currently permitted.

While some Republicans expressed concerns about the bill’s potential negative impact on first responders and firefighters, the bill passed the committee stage and is advancing.

Pratt reassured that any unintended consequences of the bill would be addressed, emphasizing the legislative process’s nature to sometimes produce unforeseen outcomes.
    So, once again, the GOP are saying that business trumps all and screw the working class. Not a shock, considering, but one has to wonder what they expect the end-game for this will be. Expecting businesses to self-regulate seems foolhardy given the past hundred years or so of history proving that to be a phenomenally stupid idea. I have no idea what the state of labor unions is in Kentucky but I can't imagine if any exist they're going to be happy about this--and if few exist it sure seems like this would be a catalyst to start forming more, stronger unions.

Republicans hate poor people and the working class, more on this at 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    snip
    Regarding the Title of this thread. It reads more like, Pee on company time. Since the time awarded to the employee would be taken away.

Would an employer legally be able to restrict a worker from using the bathroom? (honest question, I don't know the answer)
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone should remind business owners that labor laws are something we as a society worked out as an alternative to their employees lynching them in front of their wife and kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the GOP worldview, the only time you're allowed to pee on the job. Is when a GOP john specifically pays for you to pee on them, or pee on their bed.

Remember kids, the Pee Tape wasnt completely discredited.

/s
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Committee-Approved Bill Proposes Removal of Kentucky Employers’ Lunch Break, Rest Period Requirements

So, once again, the GOP are saying that business trumps all and screw the working class. Not a shock, considering, but one has to wonder what they expect the end-game for this will be. Expecting businesses to self-regulate seems foolhardy given the past hundred years or so of history proving that to be a phenomenally stupid idea. I have no idea what the state of labor unions is in Kentucky but I can't imagine if any exist they're going to be happy about this--and if few exist it sure seems like this would be a catalyst to start forming more, stronger unions.
    Congratulations. I'll now be collecting my urine to piss bottles and will be dumping them in the employer's gas tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Republicans hate poor people and the working class, more on this at 11.
    You have the GOP doing this shit...then somehow fucking Teamsters gives them money.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...ers-rcna140136

Like ...what the fuck are you people doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    You have the GOP doing this shit...then somehow fucking Teamsters gives them money.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...ers-rcna140136

Like ...what the fuck are you people doing?
    For them, representing the fact that there are many Republicans in the union (even if the party wants to dismantle them) and hedging their bets. Also while continuing to overwhelmingly donate to Democrats and Democratic candidates.

Also notable that the money is just to help pay for their convention, not go towards electing Republicans specifically. Though of course you can always move money around etc., but really $45K is not much.

Not a great move, but hardly significant beyond some CYA type shit IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Someone should remind business owners that labor laws are something we as a society worked out as an alternative to their employees lynching them in front of their wife and kids.
    Historically, the wives and kids weren't often spared. Nobody clears the factory owner's mansion to make sure the family's out before chaining the doors and boarding the windows shut and torching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Congratulations. I'll now be collecting my urine to piss bottles and will be dumping them in the employer's gas tank.
    Why are you bothering with piss bottles? Just relieve yourself at your station. Bring a second pair of pants and leave the piss work pants at work.

Cleanup is the employer's problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol damn!

This is why revolts happen.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

For them, representing the fact that there are many Republicans in the union (even if the party wants to dismantle them) and hedging their bets. Also while continuing to overwhelmingly donate to Democrats and Democratic candidates.

Also notable that the money is just to help pay for their convention, not go towards electing Republicans specifically. Though of course you can always move money around etc., but really $45K is not much.

Not a great move, but hardly significant beyond some CYA type shit IMO.
    As the GOP is currently scraping the bottom of the barrel for cash, and as they spent the last 40 years trying to destroy the Unions, including Teamsters, they frankly should have just given the middle finger to the GOP and tell them to go panhandle somewhere else for their convention money.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    "The modern job market’s dynamics would naturally encourage employers to provide breaks, despite the lack of a legal requirement."

Probably one of the stupidest fucking arguments that is repeatedly pulled out be capitalists. "Don't worry, the MARKET will sort itself out! Businesses will naturally lean towards giving their employees breaks, perks, overtime, vacation time, benefits, raises, and bonuses! Because if they don't, those people will go elsewhere!" And when they can't go elsewhere? What the fuck then, huh? When they're in such a shitty situation they're forced to just accept things getting worse, their physical and mental health declining, their free time being shrunken into nothingness, and so on? What about THEM? What about those people, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Why are you bothering with piss bottles? Just relieve yourself at your station. Bring a second pair of pants and leave the piss work pants at work.

I'd rather not work covered in piss.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    lol damn!

This is why revolts happen.
    Exactly. This is why fat-cats were dragged out of their homes kicking and screaming, beaten to a pulp, and forced to watch as their mansions were burned to the ground. I wonder if that will make a comeback too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

I'd rather not work covered in piss.
    Then at least use glassware and use those pissjars as ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    "The modern job market’s dynamics would naturally encourage employers to provide breaks, despite the lack of a legal requirement."
    Every regulation is written in blood. Just not the blood of legislators who choose that those regulations written in blood are old and outdated and shouldn't apply anymore.

Until there's more blood and the respective government is force to again re-implement those regulations that they didn't think they needed anymore because companies have a long history of effectively self-regulating and all.

The invisible hand of the market just works in our collective best interests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to invest in some stonks.

Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

I get the sentiment. But please don't.

Sanitation clean-up is fucking hell and I'm sure that in Kentucky working conditions are absolutely horrid.

Piss in the bottle. Put it on bosses desk.

- - - Updated - - -

Every regulation is written in blood. Just not the blood of legislators who choose that those regulations written in blood are old and outdated and shouldn't apply anymore.

Until there's more blood and the respective government is force to again re-implement those regulations that they didn't think they needed anymore because companies have a long history of effectively self-regulating and all.

The invisible hand of the market just works in our collective best interests.
    Not every!
    Every sensible regulation is.

There are some written by lobbyists and are latter used to make people pissed at unneeded regulations. Or to push out competition.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Exactly. This is why fat-cats were dragged out of their homes kicking and screaming, beaten to a pulp, and forced to watch as their mansions were burned to the ground. I wonder if that will make a comeback too?
    Maybe. I mean it's happened not exactly as you described but if Amazon or your average trucking company is any kind of model for what workers will tolerate, I don't know. Remember fat cats can buy protection, buy laws and put measure forward to keep that from happening as much as they can. That's why I say maybe.

However if people lose enough put up with enough indignity like this where they feel they have absolutely nothing. Then yeah.

Not sure if this will be the final straw though.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

This is Alabama and IVF, in that the GOP is being stupid as usual and not considering the political consequences.