Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Game Time Changes

"As of today, the Game Time options of 30, 90, and 180 days have been removed and Game Time is only available as a purchase of 60 Days."

Can anyone provide a logical reason for this change? Because on the surface, it doesn't look great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Game time is the only avenue for shady reselling that functions in WoW. They probably want to limit that. Reselling sites such as g2a are full of some russian game card times that you can buy for half the price you normally pay for the sub.

It seems it also allowed people to use the discount on the 6month option by buying it with in-game gold, which might also be a part of it.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Game time is the only avenue for shady reselling that functions in WoW. They probably want to limit that. Reselling sites such as g2a are full of some russian game card times that you can buy for half the price you normally pay for the sub.

It seems it also allowed people to use the discount on the 6month option by buying it with in-game gold, which might also be a part of it.
    This sounds pretty likely, that makes sense.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    "As of today, the Game Time options of 30, 90, and 180 days have been removed and Game Time is only available as a purchase of 60 Days."

Can anyone provide a logical reason for this change? Because on the surface, it doesn't look great.
    Game time cards could easily be used for botting accounts to avoid getting your credit card blocked from Blizzard, as well as other shady usages.

Then again, someone playing the game would save money being subscribed.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

This sounds pretty likely, that makes sense.
    More likely the least important reason. The other stuff would cost them far more money.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    More likely the least important reason. The other stuff would cost them far more money.
    You might be right - this wasnt some hate thread, I was genuinely confused - things are a little different in my part of the world, and I dont involve myself with any of the shenanigans that go on with this sorta stuff, so I was genuinely confused what they were doing. Starting to understand it a bit more now though.

5+ Year Old Account

Wait what!? Game time 30 days is removed?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Wait what!? Game time 30 days is removed?!
    Game time, yes, but not subscriptions

Can anyone provide a logical reason for this change?
    The Activision/Blizzard bean counters have determined that it will earn them more money. That's literally the only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    The Activision/Blizzard bean counters have determined that it will earn them more money. That's literally the only reason.
    Yeah need moar money for Bobby's 200M fat prize
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

It's to force people to subscribe rather than to buy game time directly. Because people are more likely to keep running a subscription than to buy new game time. Smart Bobby at work again.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Yeah need moar money for Bobby's 200M fat prize
    Yacht maintenance costs are no joke man, have some sympathy.

7+ Year Old Account
    You still can cancel your sub right after paying it, but it just adds another annoying step. Scums at Blizzard wants to scam people who forget to cancel sub and would otherwise stop playing after 1 month on bought game time. Easy extra money.
    /spit

Why care about the moment, people losing jobs etc. Lets cut promotions and stuff cuz ur corporates need bigger bonus.
    Really a decision to show how connected with reality they are.

Quote Originally Posted by AkundaMrdal View Post
    You still can cancel your sub right after paying it, but it just adds another annoying step. Scums at Blizzard wants to scam people who forget to cancel sub and would otherwise stop playing after 1 month on bought game time. Easy extra money.
    /spit
    This isnt anything to do with subs, just to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    This doesn't make sense though. Those who were buying six months in bulk because it was cheaper will now be buying one month at a time. People will no longer feel compelled to play for extended periods of time they paid for, so they will take a break whenever they want and as often as they want. This will result in them buying less game time on average which is counterproductive to Blizzard.

Game time, yes, but not subscriptions
    Thanks for this. I was reading them the same way the whole time. So are we assuming sub pricing stays the same?
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Thanks for this. I was reading them the same way the whole time. So are we assuming sub pricing stays the same?
    Yeah, I think I made it clear to begin with it was a bit confusing for the average Jo, I think they should look at being a little clearer about it. Obviously the "everyone is stupid but me, I understood it all perfectly and if you don't, that's on you" crew hate this kind of talk, but honestly it was not well articulated at all.

Its a bad look that invites criticism.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Its a bad look that invites criticism.
    My issue is that it wasn't well articulated what the change actually is, and what the intention of the change is. I mean they are pretty up front when they make changes to impact scammers / bots, why not do the same here?

"to combat the individuals who are doing ABC with these cards, we are making XYZ changes to try and address these concerns."

I also think it would have been a good idea to focus much more on the fact this is NOTHING to do with the standard subscription based payments. I realise they say that, but I know it has caused a lot of confusion.