Thread: System upgrade

System upgrade

Could use some advice on a planned upcoming system upgrade.

Currently have the following:

Intel 6600k
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
    32 GB DDR 4 Corsair Vengeance 3000 Ram
    Geforce 3060 TI Founders Edition
    Enermax Revolution D.F. 750W
    Fractal Design R5 case
    playing at WQHD

Now playing World of Warcraft or other MMOs is obviously no problem, but more demanding games often run into a CPU limit (with CPU utilisation sitting at 100% while GPU is at 60-70%). Storage (960 PRO as system drive and crucial MX 500 for extra storage), Graphics and PSU are doing great. So I am looking into upgrading CPU and mainboard to something a bit more recent (as opposed to buying a whole new rig).

As I see it, I can basically either go for a short term upgrade like a 10400/3600X to tide me over for 1-2 years until AMD and Intel have released their new plattforms or I could go for something that packs some more punch and will last longer like say 10700/5800x. In either case I would want to keep as much of my old stuff as possible. (Obviously will wait the few days until rocket lake release to see if it changes the landscape, but dont expect much on that front)

Any suggestings / advice ?

You got your hands on a current gen graphics card so you are pretty golden.

So like a 3600X is like 250ish and a 5600X is like 350ish. The difference for like a 450 or 550 motherboard is around 60-100 bucks depending on grade/brand. I wouldn't be shy about upgrading the ram either so if you wanted to stick to 32gigs like 200 for some 3600 or 150 for some 3200. So budge is going to play the roll here.

Current gen (very rough math)
    Processor (5600X) - 350
    Motherboard (550) - 200
    Ram (3600) - 200
    Roughly - 750

Back gening (very rough math)
    Processor (3600X) - 250
    Motherboard (450) - 150
    Ram (3200) - 150
    Roughly - 550

So about 200 bucks different to go full today. Ask yourself if that rough 200 is a deal breaker. It isn't that much more when you consider you are tip top with todays stuff. Probably can chip some out too if you wanted to stay with your current ram. But I feel 3000 is kind of slow if you plan to do a big upgrade. Not that it will make MEGA differences at all.. but if you are upgrading.. why not do the full package.. but it is also where you can chip away if the budges of either are to high for you and just keep the old ram. You also have cases for different motherboards and such too. I just went SUPER basic here. But my goal here was more to illustrate that its probably just worth it to go current. The difference in costs is not that insane.

All your other parts are plenty fine imo.