10+ Year Old Account

stuttering in fortnite

Im getting fps drops or stutters when turning my camera. I tried all rendering modes, from directx 11 to 12 to even the performance (alpha) mode which turns off all eye candy, antialiasing etc and STILL get those stutters.
    No idea which graphical setting is causing this.
    My rig is in the description. Downloaded new drivers just yesterday. Same issue on previous ones too.
    Id like to dive more into this games but playing a competetive online game like this is pain

Thanks in advance
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

7+ Year Old Account
    How hot is your system? Maybe you need to clean it

10+ Year Old Account
    Check temps, sounds like you might be overheating or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 4 core, 4 thread CPU will do that to games in 2021, especially multiplayer games. Sorry but a i5-6600 is just not cutting it anymore, not even in fortnite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    A 4 core, 4 thread CPU will do that to games in 2021, especially multiplayer games. Sorry but a i5-6600 is just not cutting it anymore, not even in fortnite.
    it never was. i bought it in 2016 and played total war: warhammer from 2015 with low FPS on the regular, but there is a difference between frame drops and odd stuttering. rest is fine with fortnite
    i mean, it doesnt fucking matter if i played with graphic settings maxed out or totally downed so...
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    it never was. i bought it in 2016 and played total war: warhammer from 2015 with low FPS on the regular, but there is a difference between frame drops and odd stuttering. rest is fine with fortnite
    i mean, it doesnt fucking matter if i played with graphic settings maxed out or totally downed so...
    That's pretty much exactly what a CPU bottleneck will do.
    GPU bottleneck = lower overall FPS
    CPU bottleneck = lower overall FPS but primarily lower minimum FPS. I.e. stuttering and pausing whenever the CPU gets overloaded.

The fact that graphics settings don't matter point even more clearly towards a CPU issue, because you're mainly just reducing GPU load by lowering graphics quality, the CPU still has to do the same job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what a CPU bottleneck will do.
    GPU bottleneck = lower overall FPS
    CPU bottleneck = lower overall FPS but primarily lower minimum FPS. I.e. stuttering and pausing whenever the CPU gets overloaded.

The fact that graphics settings don't matter point even more clearly towards a CPU issue, because you're mainly just reducing GPU load by lowering graphics quality, the CPU still has to do the same job.
    Acording to the Von Newman model, a bottleneck is when the CPU is left with nothing to do because data isn't flowing at enought speed to keep the CPU running, the result is that the CPU (or a GPU) loses clock cycles.

It's getting annoying when people use the word bottleneck without understand its meanning.

EDIT:
    A bottleneck is a problem of slower buses that conect the components, not of the components.
    Last edited by Tuor; 2021-03-29 at 08:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Acording to the Von Newman model, a bottleneck is when the CPU is left with nothing to do because data isn't flowing at enought speed to keep the CPU running, the result is that the CPU (or a GPU) loses clock cycles.

It's getting annoying when people use the word bottleneck without understand its meanning.

EDIT:
    A bottleneck is a problem of slower buses that conect the components, not of the components.
    The Von Neumann bottleneck is a specific type of communications bottleneck, where the CPU can't get access to enough data so it sits idle (Generally this would be called a RAM bottleneck if you're not trying to be pretentious)

To use non-computer examples of a bottleneck:
    A road with 5 lanes suddenly narrows to 3 lanes.
    Or the doors to a shopping centre opening on black friday.

Those are also bottlenecks.

In a computer, a bottleneck is anything that limits your performance while other components are able to keep up.
    For instance:
    A weak CPU not capable of crunching enough data to keep the GPU fed is a CPU bottleneck.
    Or GPU not capable of drawing enough frames while the CPU keeps throwing more and more at it, that's a GPU bottleneck.