Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Massless Battery Breakthrough!

https://scitechdaily.com/big-breakth...ious-versions/

Cool new tech. and designs coming to us soon? Flying cars?

It sounds good on paper, but you should always be careful getting hyped about stuff like this until it's being given practical applications.

First thing that comes to mind for me is that I really wouldn't feel comfortable with batteries that are prone to catching fire being used as structural components of a car I'm in. Obviously these probably aren't that kind of battery, but still... I can imagine it would be expensive as hell to repair something like that after an accident.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's great news of course, but it remains to be seen how practical, safe, reliable and cost effective it actually is to use in actual products, if at all.

Best case it will take a decade to actually start making difference.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It sounds good on paper, but you should always be careful getting hyped about stuff like this until it's being given practical applications.
    Yea if I see 20 new ideas like this I automatically assume 19 of them will hit a roadblock and be scrapped after a few years. One of them always works out though so I always keep an open mind about which one it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I don’t know my dude... let’s see what it looks like in a proctical way...

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Every 6 months for many years/decades now there's always some revolutionary battery tech breakthrough that never materializes to real world uses. Until it's actual a usable product it's just another vaporware product.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Every 6 months for many years/decades now there's always some revolutionary battery tech breakthrough that never materializes to real world uses. Until it's actual a usable product it's just another vaporware product.
    Yup...though less vaporware and just vapor...air.

we need some sort of hyper advanced battery to invent full blown sci-fi robots. thats the big application.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    we need some sort of hyper advanced battery to invent full blown sci-fi robots. thats the big application.
    Yes but even if batteries were 50x better right now then all the best general purpose robots - such as those they make at Boston Dynamics - still wouldn't be that great because their AI software is crude and not very intelligent. And current materials aren't rugged enough to make them long lasting without the need for constant maintenance.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-02 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    What he said. I have seen the news for couple decades now - nothing really has materialized, with the exception of fast charging, which is more or less a workaround. Of all the things I believe are coming new amazing batteries do not seem to be one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

We got a LOT of tech waiting for the development of more compact and high capacity batteries...

That's really exciting, i can't wait to never hear about this again.

Many people are absolutely horrible at driving a normal car, so why in gods name would anyone want to make flying cars for the same consumers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

oh
    no
    you
    don't

you are not going to get me again on the whole flying cars thing. i fell for that in the 1970s as a kid!!!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Many people are absolutely horrible at driving a normal car, so why in gods name would anyone want to make flying cars for the same consumers?
    If safety is an issue then they could make self-piloting software mandatory and remove manual steering. Self-driving cars are already difficult enough so it'll take a lot longer to get it to work for something like a helicopter, but eventually it can work.

First rule of battery tech, if someone claims they improved by an order of magnitude, they are most likely full of shit. Unless they mean their own last version which was just useless to the point where they could actually increase it to 10 times the original value (like increasing your profits form 0.001% to 0,01%..).

Edit: "The battery has an energy density of 24 Wh/kg, meaning approximately 20 percent capacity compared to comparable lithium-ion batteries currently available. But since the weight of the vehicles can be greatly reduced, less energy will be required to drive an electric car, for example, and lower energy density also results in increased safety. And with a stiffness of 25 GPa, the structural battery can really compete with many other commonly used construction materials."
    Makes me weep for the future of the species. The logical failure in this paragraph is staggering. Even with the highly flawed asumption that they could just replace load-bearing parts with their "battery", the production cost for that as well as long term wear and tear make this nowhere near as deasible as measuring a single sheet in a lab might suggest.

Add to that they later expect a best case of 75 Wh/kg and conventional Li+ can reach upwards of 250 Wh/kg in lab conditions as well, it's kinda obvious that this will solve absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-04-02 at 10:54 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    If flying cars ever do become a thing you'll never be nothing more than a passenger. They will be totally automated

Ah the next incredible battery technology breakthrough, right up there with Detroit Lions fans talking about how this year is finally going to be their year.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Oh hey it's battery breakthrough time again. Let me throw my AAA batteries away immediately.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2021-04-04 at 03:28 PM.