Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by florclorbromiod View Post
    RTX 2060s start to throttle at 83C. If it performs worse because it's too hot, then that's what I call overheating.
    You're aware that all GPUs will boost higher the lower temps they are (in 5degree celcius steps)? So anything over like 20C will perform worse than anything under 20C?
    So all GPUs over room temp are overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    So all GPUs over room temp are overheating?
    Just the ones that have such shitty cooling that they start to throttle. Gigabyte's 2060S is one of those.

Just the ones that have such shitty cooling that they start to throttle. Gigabyte's 2060S is one of those.
    If it isnt dropping below the rated boost clock, then it isnt “throttling” - its simply not boosting as high.

Selected parts and had my PC built through iBuyPower , received pc on delivery date. The only issue was an unplugged fan which I fixed. Price was below retail using coupon codes. Will probably buy from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    If it isnt dropping below the rated boost clock, then it isnt “throttling” - its simply not boosting as high.
    It's throttling relative to other Nvidia 2060s that can achieve higher boost clocks with lower temps.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's throttling relative to other Nvidia 2060s that can achieve higher boost clocks with lower temps.
    That's not throttling. Like, at all.
    Throttling is when it falls below base clock.

If you want to describe "throttling" as "anything less than maximum performance" then EVERYTHING is throttled, at all times.
    Ryzen CPUs? Scale with temp until ~ minus 20 C. Anything hotter than below freezing is therefore throttled
    GPUs? Same thing, they boost higher when they have more thermal headroom, anything above ~ minus 20 C is throttled. On all cards.
    RAM? Well you're not running it at 2v at -50C, so it's also throttled compared to what it could be

Please post pictures of your setup and benchmarks so we know you're not throttling, I'm expecting you at the top of literally all benchmarking leaderboards, otherwise you're throttled after all, and you don't want that.
    Last edited by Temp name; 2021-12-10 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That’s… not what throttling is. Throttling is when a card drops its performance due to too much heat/not enough power/etc.
    If you compare a Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2060S and a Rog Strix RTX 2060S, the Gigabyte will be throttling relative to the Rog Strix since it has worse cooling and as such cannot maintain the same clock speeds.

Always thought MSI and Gigabyte are sketchy as fuck.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    HP was the worst for me. Used 2 of their laptops. Both of them overheating to melt itself. NEver ever again. They could not last more than 2 years and these laptops were not for games. Just some word excel stuff you know which you can use at work. FUck their retarded design.
    I've had nothing but success with HP laptops. To me they are very solid and rugged and do not overheat at all. I have one that is 16 years old now and still running. No parts have ever been replaced. It has been rode hard and put away wet for it's entire life. It was my gaming rig for 6 years. The other one is 10 years old and runs Windows 10 like a dream. I always strongly endorse HP laptops. Their desktops not so much. Dell builds very solid business computers and so does Lenovo. Acer has good products as well. Those are really the only brands I have had and have had good luck with them all.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Still not throttling. Sorry.
    Okay. It's slower than the other cards because of its shit cooling. Happy?

I have been enjoy a lot with Asus-PC. This one service me for more than 5 years.

Do you have any computer suggestions that I can buy at a reasonable price?

I purchased a new pc last year and its all rog strix apart from the memory which is corsair and i finally moved away from intel.
    So yea Asus seems to work for me, never had an issue at all even with past products, and it looks great.
    If you wanna check out other places to buy pre-built try these if your in the UK, www.opsys.co.uk.
    10/10, all im gonna say all the goodies they put in the box and down to even how they pack and send it was out of this world, my previous pc from cyberpower was a mess, had to be sent back bla bla bla but im not here to bad mouth and no im not a opsys employee either lol

15+ Year Old Account
    I just presume speaking laptops here cos buying a pre-built desktop (gaming?) rig is just making the bed for an expensive experience of some good components that gets ruined by the manufacturer cutting costs elsewhere (like a PSU/fans) that make the overall package a bunch of *meh* selling points.
    Hopefully a buyer have a friend, colleagues etc. that can help out and if not build it at least pick the parts.

For laptops I cant think of a brand (apart from bloat ware muppets who they all are) that I got experience of lately that totally suck.
    It is more that you get what you pay for. DELL can make utter garbage in lower/mid segment while being solid in the upper tier. Same (or vice versa) can be said about most major laptop brands.
    But I havent bought a new one myself lately so only 'up to date' experience I had of new ones are two standard segment laptops at work and two top of the line ones and those last two where my brothers so only checked them out enough to be envious and impressed
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my experience BLD by NZXT charges you pretty much MSRP for most/all of their component, really only get you for shipping and putting it together. So it's very economical, perhaps, even in some limited cases, slightly cheaper than doing it yourself, if you compare apples to apples for the same components (economy of scale type situation).
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

MSI and Corsair parts never failed for me. My case, apart from CPU, entirely consists of these two brands. These are my go-to brands as of now.
    Gigabyte and Asus are my secondary choices.

I love Dell's monitors but hate everything else they make. Lenovo makes solid laptops.
    Last edited by marulol; 2022-01-10 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Always thought MSI and Gigabyte are sketchy as fuck.
    While the big three global players (ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE) have good/bad products as allways and since they have global support hubs, good/bad experiences are allways possible with how many more customers and regions they have to deal with.

I did never have to deal with the EU RMA hubs from either of them, I test new products propperly and catch issues or defects early on and just deal with shops / 14day return customer protection LAW or 6-12 months real warranty, again protected by LAW.

I like ASUS from their marketing and product design a lot, but I had no reason to get anything from them. Their mainboards are basicly memes with pretty looking BIOS GUIs and tons of BIOS/firmware bugs and TURING GPUs were legendary bad and made the competition look good with their designs. The "redemption" with early AMPERE reviews did not hold that long, because at some point people had the GPUs in their hands and had the noisiest GPUs this tier in their hands - with propper user-feedback about coil whine plagued GPUs.
    => not a brand I would touch for mainboards or GPUs till they hit at least a good generation, their current better z690 mainboards, that are made no longer AIR cooler compatible is just worth a remark, not really a deciding factor for anyone who looks at mainboard reviews and mainboard forums.

I usually end up with gigabyte mainboards for some reason and had multiple MSI GPUs, the last one the TURING TRIO that dominated reviews in noise/performance but also in dimensions sadly.
    -

Mostly I like Mac
    And hate HP

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    Experience with HP is worthless. Issues like battery dead, generating heat, and heat more affects the screen pixels.