Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

struggling while trying to stream

my current setup minus peripherals as follows

ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon 11265-05-20G Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI/ DVI-D/ Dual DP OC with Backplate (UEFI) PCI-E GPU

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked 65W Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM

Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB M.2 NVME

SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 1TB

Mushkin Source-II 1 TB SSD

Seasonic Focus GX-550, 550W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode

i'll start by saying im not looking to upgrade anything at all. playing myself without streaming everything works smooth as jazz. before i was able stream to twitch fine with no issues but this past week maybe two weeks i've been having an issue of it just freezing or stuttering or both. im wondering if there is something on my end that i can do to help it work smoothly. I just use twitch app, OBS, and discord. sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section mods pls move to the right one but i thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    That should be fine to do a 6k bitrate stream with
    Did you install any new drivers / updates when the problems began? Just uninstall them/roll back if you did
    Have you noticed your computer running hot while streaming? Your system seems to be quite old, might be worth giving it a clean if you haven't
    If all else fails you can try turning down the bitrate you stream at

10+ Year Old Account
    it only raids hot when streaming raid nights and even then its not too too bad. i was gonna stream today but noticed complete delays and just persistent me doing X at a questgiver while i've already rode off and am in a completely different area with chat stuck at looking at me talk to the npc with my thumb up my ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That should be fine to do a 6k bitrate stream with
    Did you install any new drivers / updates when the problems began? Just uninstall them/roll back if you did
    Have you noticed your computer running hot while streaming? Your system seems to be quite old, might be worth giving it a clean if you haven't
    If all else fails you can try turning down the bitrate you stream at
    all my graphics drivers are up to date. i regularly check the radeon software to see if any are available and if they are i just do a fresh install of them. i tried turning the bit rate down but it didnt make any difference at all.

Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Does the stream appear to be lagging inside OBS, or does it appear to be running as smoothly as the game itself?

If OBS preview window looks like it's running normally, I would check whether you're dropping frames. That might indicate an issue with your internet connection. No names spring to mind, but I'd guess some ISP's might not like their users streaming?

Also, make sure you haven't accidentally left a VPN running - if it's routing the stream through the VPN, they may be throttling it. At the very least, you'd be adding massive network overheads which would likely interfere with your stream quality and stability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ypur internet is being crappy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn20 View Post
    Does the stream appear to be lagging inside OBS, or does it appear to be running as smoothly as the game itself?

If OBS preview window looks like it's running normally, I would check whether you're dropping frames. That might indicate an issue with your internet connection. No names spring to mind, but I'd guess some ISP's might not like their users streaming?

Also, make sure you haven't accidentally left a VPN running - if it's routing the stream through the VPN, they may be throttling it. At the very least, you'd be adding massive network overheads which would likely interfere with your stream quality and stability.
    it does appear to flicker and lag through OBS currently. before it didnt. im banking that its on my ISP being dogshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    it does appear to flicker and lag through OBS currently. before it didnt. im banking that its on my ISP being dogshit.
    I don't use OBS but I would assume like the guy above said:
    If it looks laggy in OBS and twitch then the problem is with your PC and not your internet connection.
    If it looked fine on OBS but looked laggy on twitch then its probably a problem with your internet connection

Since it looks laggy in your OBS I doubt its an internet issue.
    Bobthegoát - Aszune

10+ Year Old Account
    it only raids hot when streaming raid nights and even then its not too too bad. i was gonna stream today but noticed complete delays and just persistent me doing X at a questgiver while i've already rode off and am in a completely different area with chat stuck at looking at me talk to the npc with my thumb up my ass.

- - - Updated - - -

all my graphics drivers are up to date. i regularly check the radeon software to see if any are available and if they are i just do a fresh install of them. i tried turning the bit rate down but it didnt make any difference at all.
    Is it happening all the time, or only in certain areas/cases?

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    do you live in the US? what is your current ISP? if so, maybe i can help a little bit more and give you an insight of what is happening and how to works around a trottled connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Is it happening all the time, or only in certain areas/cases?
    only certain cases. i tend to stream at night time. but idk what else would cause it to be affected like that because i've had perfectly fine streams in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alexplode View Post
    do you live in the US? what is your current ISP? if so, maybe i can help a little bit more and give you an insight of what is happening and how to works around a trottled connection.
    ya i live in usa. MA. xinfinity is the ISP

- - - Updated - - -

like i get more than half the downsload speeds i used to get and half the upload speeds.

Type “speed test” on your preferred search engine and comeback to us and post the results. You want at least 3-5Mbps upload for 720p. ~6-8Mbps for 1080p.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Type “speed test” on your preferred search engine and comeback to us and post the results. You want at least 3-5Mbps upload for 720p. ~6-8Mbps for 1080p.
    24ms 56.92 download 11.83 upload i know its not the best right now but thats what i got. used to get much higher downloads and even uploads.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had some connectivity issues between my home and remote servers I run. In troubleshooting them via a reverse traceroute (from the server to my house), I found that the last hop had really bad ping that didn't show up on speedtest.

The solution in my case was simply to restart my cable modem and router (likely the router was not needed). So, while it may not help, try just unplugging your cable modem and plugging it back in.

The command line program I used was MTR. More about it and install links here (about halfway down) - https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/what-is-mtr/

PS: Make sure XFinity hasn't throttled you for using a lot of data - https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...-usage-history
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-04-03 at 08:26 PM.

24ms 56.92 download 11.83 upload i know its not the best right now but thats what i got. used to get much higher downloads and even uploads.
    Ok. You should be fine in there internet department. Check your settings in obs. Lower cpu settings and see if that does much. You you want to be either on fast or veryfast with that cpu, its a bit old. I remember i could only use veryfast on my 4790k back in the day.

Also, make sure you cap your ingame fps while streaming.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    only certain cases. i tend to stream at night time. but idk what else would cause it to be affected like that because i've had perfectly fine streams in the past.

ya i live in usa. MA. xinfinity is the ISP

like i get more than half the downsload speeds i used to get and half the upload speeds.
    Affiliated Prioritization

Ah! tier 2 ISP under the infracstructure of Comncast.

if within your local network:

wireless or wired and how?
    Also happens alot where you have a gigabit ethernet and its running at suboptimal speeds (~100 Mbps).happens with cat5.cat5e or lower cable or trashty ISP router. Sometimes more thens than often using 5G 802.11ac wireless conection will be much faster than the wired.

if issue it ouiside your network:

could be Congestion management (Area where there is a high traffric on non comcast "nods" that your data needs to pass trough. data and needs to be calibrated among all users. NOTE: for a stupid reason reason if you are are a fresh customer or upgrade your internet/data connection plan you get to run on a tier 1 level avoiding slow nods (no the fastes route but still pretty fast)

also about your isp "lawfull practices"

Affiliated Prioritization/ Throttling / congestion management

per TOS Comcast does not degrade or impair access to lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, application, service, user, or use of a non-harmful device. Comcast does engage in reasonable network management practices described as Priotiyization / throttling / congestion management

the keywords here are "Lawful" and "comcast"

your connection is a "network of networks." A customer's Internet traffic may (IT WILL trhough a tier 2 isp like Xfinity) traverse the networks of multiple providers before reaching its destination, and the capabilities of those networks, as well as the capacity of the facilities the edge provider (i.e., any provider of content, applications, or services over the Internet) has chosen to route its traffic to Comcast's network (and the interconnection capacity it has arranged), may affect the overall speed of an Internet connection.

try with a vpn if nothing works (powercycle, reseatting cables etc...)
    try your connection between 5G if router is close enough oir ethernet.

it is very possible that, once again if you are a "heavy data user" they are just being them in which your data cap will restart on your next bi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexplode View Post
    Affiliated Prioritization

Ah! tier 2 ISP under the infracstructure of Comncast.

if within your local network:

wireless or wired and how?
    Also happens alot where you have a gigabit ethernet and its running at suboptimal speeds (~100 Mbps).happens with cat5.cat5e or lower cable or trashty ISP router. Sometimes more thens than often using 5G 802.11ac wireless conection will be much faster than the wired.

if issue it ouiside your network:

could be Congestion management (Area where there is a high traffric on non comcast "nods" that your data needs to pass trough. data and needs to be calibrated among all users. NOTE: for a stupid reason reason if you are are a fresh customer or upgrade your internet/data connection plan you get to run on a tier 1 level avoiding slow nods (no the fastes route but still pretty fast)

also about your isp "lawfull practices"

Affiliated Prioritization/ Throttling / congestion management

per TOS Comcast does not degrade or impair access to lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, application, service, user, or use of a non-harmful device. Comcast does engage in reasonable network management practices described as Priotiyization / throttling / congestion management

the keywords here are "Lawful" and "comcast"

your connection is a "network of networks." A customer's Internet traffic may (IT WILL trhough a tier 2 isp like Xfinity) traverse the networks of multiple providers before reaching its destination, and the capabilities of those networks, as well as the capacity of the facilities the edge provider (i.e., any provider of content, applications, or services over the Internet) has chosen to route its traffic to Comcast's network (and the interconnection capacity it has arranged), may affect the overall speed of an Internet connection.

try with a vpn if nothing works (powercycle, reseatting cables etc...)
    try your connection between 5G if router is close enough oir ethernet.

it is very possible that, once again if you are a "heavy data user" they are just being them in which your data cap will restart on your next bi
    wired. had to take a picture of the thing and then looked up the code but apparently its an xFi Advanced Gateway. there'd be no point in me getting a 50 or probably 100 ft cord to run to hardwire it. i connect to the wifi through my computers wireless TP link card. my router is in the whole other side of the apartment and just not ideal for me.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    wired. had to take a picture of the thing and then looked up the code but apparently its an xFi Advanced Gateway. there'd be no point in me getting a 50 or probably 100 ft cord to run to hardwire it. i connect to the wifi through my computers wireless TP link card. my router is in the whole other side of the apartment and just not ideal for me.

did you manage to fix the problem?

as a rule of thumb ou really need to test with a wired connection to rule out all basic troubleshooting. you cant just skip that step. If i had a dollar for every tshooting that i did with people saying that they "used to have a fast connection over wireless and now is slow" and they say the wifi is fine because it never had a problem id be able to buy maybe a 3080ti... but then we go hardwire and they get good connection.

And streamming and playing over wifi? i rather have an ethernet cord ran trough the electrical tubing and mounting an ethernet jack on the wall.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wired means your computer is physically linked to the router. Why would there be no point in running a wire? You DO also have the option of MoCA adapter if you have a cable outlet in your room. Your router automatically provides the signal through the coax wiring in the house to allow you to just plug one in and get it working. That’s how I wired a PC on a different floor from the same gateway. It also helps fill the WiFi gaps.
    i though he said "Wired" as a "roger that" expression. we used the "got wired to my head" stating that we understood in my native language.

and yeah since MoCa carried both data and video signal, a moca to ethernet adapter/jack will do the trick (dont try to split the signal will a random splitter if you already ahave coax at that location for video porpuses. ask your isp 1st if its gonna work or what type of splitter you would need in case it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthegoat View Post
    I don't use OBS but I would assume like the guy above said:
    If it looks laggy in OBS and twitch then the problem is with your PC and not your internet connection.
    If it looked fine on OBS but looked laggy on twitch then its probably a problem with your internet connection

Since it looks laggy in your OBS I doubt its an internet issue.
    People still seem to be ignoring this reply.

If it's not running well inside OBS, then it's definitely not your internet connection - the preview is handled directly by hardware-accelerated Windows graphics API's, meaning it's an issue with the PC itself. If it's not running well in OBS only while streaming, then I'd say it's likely related to your streaming settings - e.g. preset is too high.

Things working fine in the past might indicate a new issue with the PC itself. I'd check your CPU temps using something like HWMonitor. Also check task manager to see if you have sufficient free RAM while you're trying to stream, as well as to check if there's anything using a lot of your CPU.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    hey if it works it works, no bs as long as you have strong sginal and an adecuate splitter. im just talking from my job experience.