Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

TBC: Buy boost or level up now?

I want to play TBC, but I haven't started a character in Classic.

Is it worth grinding up to lvl 60 now to take that char further in TBC? Or is it so little difference when paying for boost that I might as well wait?

Right now there's an influx of levelers on medium-high servers. It's a perfect time to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetly View Post

Is it worth grinding up to lvl 60 now to take that char further in TBC? Or is it so little difference when paying for boost that I might as well wait?
    I would say depends on what you want to play tbh. Mage i wouldn't buy a boost for in comparison to other classes for example, Whereas if it was a Warrior or Priest i might as those take the longest for me. Also the matter of professions, you get none with the boost afaik, so you may want to level those up now before prices inflate on old mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetly View Post

Im in the same boat

Im an adult with a family, my game time is limited. For me its a boost or forget about it. Tge 1-60 grind is insane in classic

Do you want to level it yourself? Then level

Are you really not a fan of leveling 1-60, then wait for boost

You have the whole prepatch to farm some gold and level your professions. So if you play a lot, there is very little reason to level right now, unless you really want multiple alts ready to go when TBC hits and dont have enough time to level them after the prepatch that comes with a significant buff to leveling speed.

Unless you like leveling of course. In that case, go for it.
    Last edited by owbu; 2021-04-07 at 06:15 PM.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffmeister View Post
    Im in the same boat

Im an adult with a family, my game time is limited. For me its a boost or forget about it. Tge 1-60 grind is insane in classic
    This... I am leaning towards boost unfortunately... Even though it's a nice feeling to level, the grind is way too high.

Meh, if you have something more fun to do, just wait for the boost. If you're bored anyway, may as well level something. If it were me and I didn't already have my main leveled, I'd probably just level a gathering alt, knowing that it A) wouldn't be 60 by pre-patch and B) would just be a way to set my boosted toon up with some extra gold and mats.

Boosted chars have no professions, so it's probably not a terrible time to at least get your First Aid, Cooking and any low level mats farmed up. They'll be way overpriced at pre-patch.

Currently i play like 10 hours a week (weekend included).

If you got the time leveling is the way to go. There are so many people leveling. i have no issues finding groups for dungeons or quests. i'm having a blast.

If you simply don't like leveling then boost.

My only question to those who claim they don't have the time to level would be: whats gonna change in tbc classic for you? i mean theres lvling there too (even if its a lot less), then there's rep grind, dungeon grind, raids etc. not to mention grind for mats etc. I have a hard time to believe someone has the time to invest in those things but not in lvling a char now.

If you have a lot of free time (6-8+ hours a day) it's a good time to get started.

Just a tip: because of Xp recquirement nerf to lvl up and the big boost of experience of quests after lvl 20, i suggest you level now to 20 or 30 and stop until prepatch. Then resume leveling when prepatch hit. That is because on Classic the leveling speed takes a huge hit after lvl 30. If i remember correctly you hit 50% of the leveling time at lvl 44. Meaning 44-60 takes as long as 1-44.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrel8490 View Post
    Currently i play like 10 hours a week (weekend included).

If you got the time leveling is the way to go. There are so many people leveling. i have no issues finding groups for dungeons or quests. i'm having a blast.

If you simply don't like leveling then boost.

My only question to those who claim they don't have the time to level would be: whats gonna change in tbc classic for you? i mean theres lvling there too (even if its a lot less), then there's rep grind, dungeon grind, raids etc. not to mention grind for mats etc. I have a hard time to believe someone has the time to invest in those things but not in lvling a char now.
    This is the damn truth. I'll say that grinding in TBC felt way more engaging than grinding in Classic has, but that's just my personal experience.

FWIW, here's the convoluted, long mess that is TBC attunements.

So you want to play... without wanting to play?
    Do not make a mistake with skipping leveling - it is BIG part of the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    So you want to play... without wanting to play?
    Do not make a mistake with skipping leveling - it is BIG part of the whole game.
    skipping leveling is amazing. leveling is a useless part of the game. even in vanilla. end game > all. for me atleast

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    skipping leveling is amazing. leveling is a useless part of the game. even in vanilla. end game > all. for me atleast
    I like how most of the people who are pushing the idea that skipping leveling is a ‘bad’ idea don’t seem to understand that most of the people skipping it have done it countless times already. I’m skipping it, I’ve done it too many times, I’m not benefitting anything from it anymore.

Currently playing on Dragonfang, was a reroll event here not long ago and loads of players lvling up. There's a new reroll/make alts event this friday I think. But like.. I'm lvling now, but I will also get the boost

Depends if you're going to roll Blood Elf or Draenei, have to wait for pre-patch then. XP needed is reduced in pre-patch as well i think, waiting for the boost is fine if you're not going to roll one of those two races.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do we know if/how long the prepatch will be, and if so wait lvling a paladin until then, as paladin in classic is "bit" of a bore to lvl and id pref to wait till TBC talents/skills arrive, and i cant afford any boost as my current "main" is a 45 hunter.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Do we know if/how long the prepatch will be, and if so wait lvling a paladin until then, as paladin in classic is "bit" of a bore to lvl and id pref to wait till TBC talents/skills arrive, and i cant afford any boost as my current "main" is a 45 hunter.
    I would agree to wait for tbc but just because of the xp needed, the new skills and talents don’t really come into play until 50

I've been leveling a character for a little over a month as of now (March 4) and I'm currently level 41. I'm not great at leveling...

Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    I've been leveling a character for a little over a month as of now (March 4) and I'm currently level 41. I'm not great at leveling...
    If you’re happy with the experience, then it doesn’t matter. My first character took forever but had maxed professions, including fishing/cooking by 55. Didn’t feel the need to rush.

Alts, however. Get me to the end as quickly as possible.