Are doctors a scam?

I’m all for science, but hear me out.

I keep hearing stories about people paying hundreds of dollars for the veterinarian, only to be told that their pet is fine.

My primary care physician said I would need a shot for college, but I told him it’s not required. Caught in the act, he said: “It’s required unless you don’t want it.”

Are doctors perfect? No.

Are doctors a scam? Fuck no.

There, end of thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doctors are not a scam. They system thar gatekeeps them though.

Also you do need shots for school unless you want to go through all paperwork to just not get a shot. Just get the damn shot like 90% of rest of the students.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Doctors are not a scam. They system thar gatekeeps them though.

Also you do need shots for school unless you want to go through all paperwork to just not get a shot. Just get the damn shot like 90% of rest of the students.
    I needed shots, but not the expensive one that he told me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I needed shots, but not the expensive one that he told me.
    IDK. When I was in school, not that long ago, they told us what we needed. You could get the shots for free at a 'free clinic' or a pharmacy it you had insurance. Going to a doctors office costs a lot more because of the way the way the healthcare system works. A financially aware doctor would refer you to a cheaper solution, a lot of doctors don't actually know what and how their patients are billed. When they find out they start recommending more cost effective treatments. I know a NP who said they stopped giving patients stuff like ibuprofen in the ER after they found out how much the hospital charged for it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

is this jordan peterson stuff again

Who in their right mind would seriously ask something like that..? Ah, of course.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Short answer - NO

If you want to find examples to counter that argument you will find plenty; Healthcare in general is a massive system and wildly open to abuse, you are going to get a lot of people behind the scenes (bigpharma) trying to exploit it and in some isolated incidents doctors get roped in. You also have psychiatry which can be seen as a bit of a pseudo science and then don't even get started on homeopathy and alternative medicine
    Last edited by caractacus; 2021-04-19 at 10:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are good doctors and bad doctors, generalisation doesn't help.

100 years ago a doctor (or anyone else) couldn't treat an infection. Currently with antibiotics most infections are easy to treat.
    Doctors have gathered an imense knowledge, but they still don't do miracles.

7+ Year Old Account
    Are doctors a scam?
    Yes

Also, the world is flat.

This all sounds made up.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is closed. This type of thread is inappropriate.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."