Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Yea this is how I approach it too. People honestly think people like Bobby Kotick and his other business ilk are gonna suffer if you boycott their game? Only people who suffer are those on the ground floor.

I only ever boycotted one thing, but that's due to me just washing my hands of it and that was Spider-Man comics after the One More Day event. And has nothign really to do with ethics but personal hate for something :P
    Absolutely and I know what you are talking about. Don't have to like Amazon and their top tier assholes but...you can bet there's probably several dozens and dozens who are just trying to live their lives.....like us.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    One day I may have hope for the MMO genre again, but it is not this day.
    Called it quits from the MMORPG scene... until Nerve Gear full dive VRMMOs become a reality!

Good. With the current state of Amazon Studios, the game had very little chance of actually being good, let alone being a faithful LotR entry. LotRO is the only LotRO spinoff product that actually gets the spirit of Tolkien; everything else is just cheap cash grab stuff that wears the skin of LotR for brand name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    AGS New World has to be an absolute banger 10/10.
    No, it doesn’t lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    This sucks. I was really looking forward to this and the riot mmo. I guess it's now down to riot to save the genre.
    I'm not sure how you expect the genre to be "saved," whatever that even means, or what you think Riot can do that will be any different than another variation on shit we've already seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Good. With the current state of Amazon Studios, the game had very little chance of actually being good, let alone being a faithful LotR entry. LotRO is the only LotRO spinoff product that actually gets the spirit of Tolkien; everything else is just cheap cash grab stuff that wears the skin of LotR for brand name recognition.
    Yeah I don't think so, its one thing to not trust Amazon but saying anything else other then the older MMO(That the average man doesn't even know about) is worth to talk about relating to the IP. Thats just dishonest or ignorant at best.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The moment New World fails to meet their expectations they are probably pulling the plug quick.

I am not joining the bandwagon as early as I would have hoped to!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Called it quits from the MMORPG scene... until Nerve Gear full dive VRMMOs become a reality!
    I honestly think MMO's are reaching the limits of modern technologies control schemes for monitor/tv + keyboard & mouse or controller. FPS, Over-shoulder, third person and tab target, action combat, or a mix of both. Monster cast bars, telegraphed abilities, rotations, timers, or random skill orders. Not to mention all kinds of business decisions about payment models, in-game currencies, loot systems, content "difficulty," lore investment.

Imo, the only thing left for the genre to explore is all on the backend, and I imagine all rather tedious stuff. How do you make a truly persistent world? Can you scale its size beyond anything currently on the market? Can every NPC be driven by it's own AI? Can you engineer aspects of the world and lore to grow and adapt on it's own, outside the direct influence of developers, via AI? How far can we remove an MMORPG from "video game mechanics" into "living virtual world?"

Basically asking for the impossible, haha. But I think current gen innovation is at its limit.

I have to admit I was more shocked they announced they were doing it than the announcement to cancel. At least they didn't ride the ship all the way down to the bottom of the ocean with it and just milk money from people for 6 months with a substandard product and then pull the plug. That would have been the more Amazon thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    I'm not sure how you expect the genre to be "saved," whatever that even means, or what you think Riot can do that will be any different than another variation on shit we've already seen.
    You're kidding yourself if you think the MMORPG genre is doing well. Some people are blinded by fanaticism, and it sure as hell isn't my job to open their eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    The moment New World fails to meet their expectations they are probably pulling the plug quick.

I am not joining the bandwagon as early as I would have hoped to!
    I tried new world a few months ago and it was honestly the worst game I've ever played. Supposedly they've made a lot of changes the last few months, but I still wouldn't get my hopes up just based on how bad the beta was.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever, I'm not interested in whatever half ass drivel Amazon is planning with their spinoff TV show. Considering how many liberties Peter Jackson took with LOTR, I have zero faith the anything Amazon produces, game or TV show wise in the universe, will be anywhere close to Tolkien's work.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    No, it doesn’t lol.
    Whats the current public reception on AGS?
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    You're kidding yourself if you think the MMORPG genre is doing well. Some people are blinded by fanaticism, and it sure as hell isn't my job to open their eyes.
    That wasn't my statement or even my intent. I said nothing about the health of the MMORPG genre. I'm questioning the very idea that any new game can "save" it. At best, imho, Riot makes something that can actually compete with WoW and Final Fantasy subscriber numbers after the first year and beyond. At worst it joins the trash bin with Rift, Wildstar, and Warhammer.

And "saving" the genre still has to be defined. Is it saved when one MMO can boast 10 million subscribers? or when there are X million across all games? Or when hardcore players bless a new MMO as the sanctified spiritual successor of Vanilla WoW? If you include Asian markets MMORPG's are thriving in terms of the number of new and upcoming releases there are. Unlike RTS, which is so dead even Blizzard abandoned further SC2 development.

All the LOTR games ever released were trash. Nothing of value was lost here.

Insert pikachu surprise face here.

Honestly, most folks saw this coming from a mile away.
    New world isn't likely to succeed either imo.

The MMO genre needs to evolve faster than they can build the game.

I really couldn't care less. Can't wait to see New World crash and burn either. Fuck Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I really couldn't care less. Can't wait to see New World crash and burn either. Fuck Amazon.
    I hope not. Unlike you, I actually don't want to play WoW until I die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh nooo.... anyway.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Good job Tencent. /s

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-two-years-ago

Obviously Riot is owned by Tencent and they're working on an MMO so this is corporate assassination.

One day I may have hope for the MMO genre again, but it is not this day.
    You´ve got AoC and whatever comes out of Dreamshaven to be hopeful for. Those two might be titans on the making... Maybe quite literal in the case of Dreamshaven... Titan... if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    You´ve got AoC and whatever comes out of Dreamshaven to be hopeful for. Those two might be titans on the making... Maybe quite literal in the case of Dreamshaven... Titan... if you know what I mean
    You do realize Dreamhaven is an indie company, right? The odds of them making something great in the medium future are close to nil.