Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fastest leveling method lvl 40-50 w/ new account?

Hello!

A few months back I recruited a friend who has never played WoW or any MMO. It's been a long and slow road teaching her the ropes, but she's finally got a good grasp on the major systems and gameplay. We've just hit level 40, and are looking for the best way to expedite our leveling to 50 so that we can begin Shadowlands. We don't have great options in prior xpacs because she's a new account she is majorly restricted until she hits level 50.

She finds that most of the methods of gameplay get really boring/redundant after a while, so we've been employing a wide breadth of activities up to this point, but we're ready to buckle down and get the job done.

Most of what I can find online for leveling 1-50 in shadowlands are guides for people who already have active accounts, recommending knocking out the WoD or Legion story quests; but we don't have that option. What in your opinion would be the quickest way for us to get from lvl 40 to lvl 50 taking her new account restrictions into consideration. Grinding islands? Or Dungeons? Or Story quests? Or just a great random farming spot?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I never put a stopwatch to it but I chromie to a fresh starting zone where the quests are really straight forward and quick to knock out and then que for dungeons as I quest between 5 man runs. It is insanely quick. I won't claim it to be the ultimate fastest but I got no complaints.

3+ Year Old Account
    IMO, pick a leveling area after Cata. I'd personally vote MoP or Legion. The quest structures in later xpacs are pretty self-explanatory and don't really require a whole lot of pre-existing knowledge to do optimally (Outside of WoD treasure hunting). Once in a while, queue for a dungeon to break up the monotony a bit. If you notice you have longer dungeon queues, you can just stay in queue whenever you're out questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I never put a stopwatch to it but I chromie to a fresh starting zone where the quests are really straight forward and quick to knock out and then que for dungeons as I quest between 5 man runs. It is insanely quick. I won't claim it to be the ultimate fastest but I got no complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilela View Post
    IMO, pick a leveling area after Cata. I'd personally vote MoP or Legion. The quest structures in later xpacs are pretty self-explanatory and don't really require a whole lot of pre-existing knowledge to do optimally (Outside of WoD treasure hunting). Once in a while, queue for a dungeon to break up the monotony a bit. If you notice you have longer dungeon queues, you can just stay in queue whenever you're out questing.
    She has a new account, she cannot access Chromie, she cannot really get to anywhere outside of classic and BFA. We can manually go to other expansions, but we cannot queue for any content there, and a lot of the quests are locked to her. :/

Queue for dungeons. Many can be finished in less than 15 minutes. If you get a horrible dungeon you can still leave and go quest instead.

What faction are you guys on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mestalis View Post
    She has a new account, she cannot access Chromie, she cannot really get to anywhere outside of classic and BFA. We can manually go to other expansions, but we cannot queue for any content there, and a lot of the quests are locked to her. :/
    LOL, I have never been exposed to these systems totally fresh so I had no idea. Might just be a power though the questing situation then unfortunately.

Just do the questlines of each zone.

I've done BFA leveling on 1 or 2 chars post-SL patch, and it's more than enough to get you from 1-50 if you're also doing the sidequests between hubs. If you're bored of that, do dungeons in between. It's not super amazing xp in BFA ones, but it's not horrendously bad either.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestalis View Post
    Ah, I misread that part. I'd take BFA over Classic then, the part about the dungeons still stands.

Lower level zones that were designed without mounts in mind, i.e. Redridge/Silverpine work amazing, I went from 45-50 in less than an hour.

P.S. Make sure to kill rares if you can.
    Last edited by Silent One; 2021-04-19 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
    Lower level zones that were designed without mounts in mind, i.e. Redridge/Silverpine work amazing, I went from 45-50 in less than an hour.

P.S. Make sure to kill rares if you can.
    Yet another one who didn't read what OP asked.

Create a new starter edition on your account, choose Cataclysm from Chromie, party sync with your friend, then she can fly around killing rares in low-level zones. Or you can do it together. When she runs out of rest the XP will drop by half but still be faster than questing and very easy/fast. You can do this all the way to 60. It's mindless and boring, but some people prefer that and who am I to judge?
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2021-04-19 at 11:24 PM.

Best method is hands down rested XP herb/mining or very efficient questing. See desmephisto world records etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Best method is hands down rested XP herb/mining or very efficient questing. See desmephisto world records etc.
    Yes, completely new to the game player will surely appreaciate spending hours of picking herbs because "its optimal", and learn nothing of how the game works along the way. Have you even read the op?

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Yes, completely new to the game player will surely appreaciate spending hours of picking herbs because "its optimal", and learn nothing of how the game works along the way. Have you even read the op?
    "What in your opinion would be the quickest way for us to get from lvl 40 to lvl 50 taking her new account restrictions into consideration."

Have you? Also did you see the title. I did this method with herb/mining on many allied races and it works...Perfect leveling method to level multiple characters at the same time with rested XP. I tend to start herbing/mining after like level 35-40 (You can also kill rare mobs in-between, Southshore/western/estaeren plague is good, many rares herbs mines etc), it depends on what quest route I took.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2021-04-20 at 07:37 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

For alliance, Loch Modan is amazing, can prolly get 5 levels there in the 40s

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    If Horde; Silverpine - dang it, that zone is fast!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Draenor is still the fastest even after the bonus objective XP nerfs and it's actually a decent leveling experience.

The method I posted is faster than anything else, if you have rest. Without rest herbing will probably win, certainly on a druid or if you have the herb picking mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    "What in your opinion would be the quickest way for us to get from lvl 40 to lvl 50 taking her new account restrictions into consideration."

Have you? Also did you see the title. I did this method with herb/mining on many allied races and it works...Perfect leveling method to level multiple characters at the same time with rested XP. I tend to start herbing/mining after like level 35-40 (You can also kill rare mobs in-between, Southshore/western/estaeren plague is good, many rares herbs mines etc), it depends on what quest route I took.
    If you think suggesting new player to go and pick up herbs for few hours is a great idea then you deserve a proper facepalm lol.