Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    blizzard doesn't make the game for the players anymore its about the esports teams now.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    3rd party Statista reports that marketers buy and that MMO population pulls from. Daily active users pulled from algorithms that crawl player data:

World of Warcraft ------- 2,176,509
    Destiny 2 ------- 1,240,807
    Old School RuneScape ------- 2,040,699
    FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn ------- 2,389,369
    World of Warcraft Classic ------- 1,182,759
    ROBLOX ------- 551,237
    The Elder Scrolls Online ------- 1,029,988
    Elite Dangerous ------- 884,122
    RuneScape ------- 1,110,310
    Guild Wars 2 ------- 541,083

In WoW's defense there isn't a way to make a distinction between a paid and F2P user. Most of these games have a HUGE chunk of free to play content. Example - I play Destiny 2 quite a bit and have never paid them a dime. So while yes WoW is doing much more poorly than it was it still needs to be taken into consideration that if you combine both retail and classic you're looking at over 3mil active players that are ALL pretty much guaranteed to be paid accounts since WoW's F2P model only covers the first 20 levels. Though that's also giving WoW the benefit of the doubt that they're all unique users. A little more difficult to determine because of the shared sub, but if it's 1 person who plays a bit of both it counts as 2.
    MMO Population bases its numbers from their main subreddit follower numbers -- so its pretty worthless as a website. They stopped showing their equations back last year because people called them out on how they got their numbers. I think in the cases of sites, everyone shows different numbers for some reason or another.

I dont exactly know how correct Statista is in comparison to other trackers.
    Last edited by TidalConflux; 2021-04-28 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    I can't believe how many people are actually playing WoW Classic. How are people still having fun with such an old WoW game. The only thing i remember from that game is just Nightmares of hard farming, grind and waiting to get into a group just to do 1 stupid raid that in the end failed and the group ended up split up.
    , he asks, completely ignoring Runescape in there, too. Twice. With the old school version of it nearly beating WoW retail.

Good to know you never play a game older than six months since its release though. You must have to dish out some serious cash to keep up with that hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    3rd party Statista reports that marketers buy and that MMO population pulls from. Daily active users pulled from algorithms that crawl player data:

World of Warcraft ------- 2,176,509
    Destiny 2 ------- 1,240,807
    Old School RuneScape ------- 2,040,699
    FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn ------- 2,389,369
    World of Warcraft Classic ------- 1,182,759
    ROBLOX ------- 551,237
    The Elder Scrolls Online ------- 1,029,988
    Elite Dangerous ------- 884,122
    RuneScape ------- 1,110,310
    Guild Wars 2 ------- 541,083

In WoW's defense there isn't a way to make a distinction between a paid and F2P user. Most of these games have a HUGE chunk of free to play content. Example - I play Destiny 2 quite a bit and have never paid them a dime. So while yes WoW is doing much more poorly than it was it still needs to be taken into consideration that if you combine both retail and classic you're looking at over 3mil active players that are ALL pretty much guaranteed to be paid accounts since WoW's F2P model only covers the first 20 levels. Though that's also giving WoW the benefit of the doubt that they're all unique users. A little more difficult to determine because of the shared sub, but if it's 1 person who plays a bit of both it counts as 2.
    Are retail and classic unique players or is there a overlap between the two?

7+ Year Old Account
    Waiting for them to be bought out by Tencent and wow goes full mobile. Then we get to listen to every youtuber hawking the most awesomest new mobile game: WOW SHADOW LEGENDS. Got to chase those China bucks. That's the future. Maybe get some of that free Weighar labor to man the service centers and work on the dance studio update.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Waiting for them to be bought out by Tencent and wow goes full mobile. Then we get to listen to every youtuber hawking the most awesomest new mobile game: WOW SHADOW LEGENDS. Got to chase those China bucks. That's the future. Maybe get some of that free Weighar labor to man the service centers and work on the dance studio update.
    Blizzard wouldn't need tencent in order to develop mobile games. Both Activision and King! are experienced in the mobile market and are part of the same company. Not to mention there is nothing wrong with mobile games. Sega Game Gear, Game boy, PS Vita, Switch etc are all mobile games. While there are many low effort mobile games for Android and Apple that doesn't have to be the case. Just like there are some good hits and even ports like Stardew Valley.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

sadly classic wow is now larger than retail(According to google search) kinda says that something has gone wrong somewhere.
    Last edited by Thundering; 2021-04-28 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    sadly classic wow is now larger than retail(According to google search) kinda says that something has gone wrong somewhere.
    That really doesn't mean shit about classic having more players than retail. It could simply be people that stopped playing WoW were interested in classic WoW and those that currently played retail you know, didn't need to fucking google the term 'world of warcraft' and instead just went to wowhead or here.

At any rate, before WoW dies, this website will die. I would be surprised if this website is still up in 2022. But it might make it to 2022. I'd be totally shocked if MMOC still exists in 2023.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    That really doesn't mean shit about classic having more players than retail. It could simply be people that stopped playing WoW were interested in classic WoW and those that currently played retail you know, didn't need to fucking google the term 'world of warcraft' and instead just went to wowhead or here.
    You mean you don't Google "world of warcraft" everyday to satisfy some arbitrary metric?

I never got this lol. Google trends like that will tell you how many ppl Google that term. Its all then interpreted about how that could relate to subscribers. If anything imo, it tells how many newer ppl were interested. Cause like u said, ppl that play wow would go straight to wowhead

yeah, people interpreting information is what has gone wrong... classic had more players than retail MAYBE for the first month

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Blizzard wouldn't need tencent in order to develop mobile games. Both Activision and King! are experienced in the mobile market and are part of the same company. Not to mention there is nothing wrong with mobile games. Sega Game Gear, Game boy, PS Vita, Switch etc are all mobile games. While there are many low effort mobile games for Android and Apple that doesn't have to be the case. Just like there are some good hits and even ports like Stardew Valley.
    They might get them too... in order to do business in china you need to produce X amount there to sell your product. It is why a lot of people assume reforged and immortal were made by outside teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    At any rate, before WoW dies, this website will die. I would be surprised if this website is still up in 2022. But it might make it to 2022. I'd be totally shocked if MMOC still exists in 2023.
    But before that it will have it's own civil war, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I can see it up even in 2023. A game "dying" is subjective. Some still believe this game died once subs dropped after Cata. Others feel that until nobody plays it, it's not dead.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    I can't believe how many people are actually playing WoW Classic. How are people still having fun with such an old WoW game. The only thing i remember from that game is just Nightmares of hard farming, grind and waiting to get into a group just to do 1 stupid raid that in the end failed and the group ended up split up.
    Old? I just went back to DAOC. Sure the graphics are crap but man all the classes are pretty close balanced and Im having an absolute blast. LOVE just getting on a SM and mass farming shit to put stuff in my home.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    They might get them too... in order to do business in china you need to produce X amount there to sell your product. It is why a lot of people assume reforged and immortal were made by outside teams.
    Activision Blizzard already does business in China and the connections Blizzard has was reported as one of the ways Mr. Morhaime helped convince Mr. Kotick to agree to the merger of Activision and Vivendi way back when.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    The game receives plenty of development input, it is the input being ignored that leads to players being pissed off and some wanting to see the game fail. I'm in the category of "pissed off by shit design; I want them to fix said design because I'd like the game to be good".

Also for the sake of everyone, they need to stop having Ion do any interviews. His legalistic wording and defense of systems that are largely hated does nothing but further alienate the community by insulting their intelligence. They need to hire a proper CM team again and have them handle player engagement on the forums, because Ion is just stirring shit every time he opens his mouth and to say absolutely nothing while speaking for 5 minutes. 7 paragraphs of text that amount to "yeah, that was a poor design choice" is quite irritating, especially when players had been vocally pointing out for months that it was a poor design choice.
    Too bad most of the things people claim as “bad design” are just parroted opinions from their favorite content creator. It gets even worse once you realize that the content creators opinion isn’t even their own, it’s just what they could come up with to stir up the most movement on their content.

It's not tho. When you want to compare numbers dont just look at WOW:Shadowlands but also at WOW and compare searches etc. Dont just watch Asmongold videos and check stuff for yourself.

I dont really see that. I see a lot of people that have turned away from the game because it objectively declined.

I've been on both sides. I have dropped the game back in early Cata and was pretty sure I would never come back. I was wrong. The game is still in a very poor state and in some areas it continues to get worse. Blizzard has earned most of the critism that comes their way.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    You mean you don't Google "world of warcraft" everyday to satisfy some arbitrary metric?

I never got this lol. Google trends like that will tell you how many ppl Google that term. Its all then interpreted about how that could relate to subscribers. If anything imo, it tells how many newer ppl were interested. Cause like u said, ppl that play wow would go straight to wowhead
    Oh god you're right, I better start typing in world of warcraft in google every day. We gotta inflate this useless metric!