Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Sometimes I wonder if these guys even wanted to move on. (Leave the company) A case and point for me is Chris Metzen's D&D campaign Auroboros. It seems similar to me with Orbios symbolism. I mean if you have the capability to make anything you want finally. Most of these ex-employees I hear leave say they felt restricted. Why both use Ouroboros for inspiration? Does he just want to make his own interpretation? Or just trying to market to the WoW crowd? Maybe a little bit of both? Still I thought that was a strange move.

I know he is not apart of Dreamhaven. I am not sure what that company has planned. Or if want to create a whole new mmo like people are mentioning here. It will in all honesty take a while to get something out there. Depends on how big the project is and how many people are working there...

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I'd hope they'd do some single player/small group co-op RPG first to worldbuild with, then do an MMO once they have an established audience.
    Frankly I would hope so as well, heck for all I care they could just be doing some open-ended endgame stuff with lobbies instead of falling into all the trappings of the MMO market and instead focus more on a good rpg basis first. The MMO aspect is inherently limiting in that regard.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if these guys even wanted to move on. (Leave the company) A case and point for me is Chris Metzen's D&D campaign Auroboros. It seems similar to me with Orbios symbolism. I mean if you have the capability to make anything you want finally. Most of these ex-employees I hear leave say they felt restricted. Why both use Ouroboros for inspiration? Does he just want to make his own interpretation? Or just trying to market to the WoW crowd? Maybe a little bit of both? Still I thought that was a strange move.
    The problem with being highly creative is that you don't always get to do what you want even if a high level employee (or CEO) because you are restricted as much by what you've already created by what the company needs. That is why you often see the creative types move on to similar things in retirement or whatever. And given the symbolism that both are drawing from there is no reason to think a hidden message exists because both Blizzard and Warchief gaming are using a serpent eating its tail.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxenn View Post

I know he is not apart of Dreamhaven. I am not sure what that company has planned. Or if want to create a whole new mmo like people are mentioning here. It will in all honesty take a while to get something out there. Depends on how big the project is and how many people are working there...
    Oh come on, that is quite the stretch. They just both went for a symbol of "infinity", which the Ouroboros is a well known short hand for. It's like wanting a god of thunder and calling him something like Thor. It's just a popular crutch. SL uses it to symbolize eternity, Metzen's thing uses it for "unlimited powaaah!!!1". Also considering it's based on his old D&D campaign I simply don't see them having gone out of their way to "steal" an utterly irrelevant and miniscule part of shadowlands, namely the name of the most forgetable hub city yet. By your logic you could blame both for using a symbol that ESO used alot in a modified form when it launched. The most entertaining thing here is how Metzen had to misspell Ouroboros because he wanted to trademark it (instead of using the actual setting's name for it) .
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-04-21 at 03:10 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    They've been focusing on pleasing the hardcores too much, which degrades the game for everyone else. They should have focused ONLY on the average, unexceptional players.

Dreamhaven has a Carbine stench to it.
    LOL they're not pleasing hardcores at all. We're the least pleased with the game, everything is about the casuals getting to "experience" the content with all the handhold modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Some devs just want to make art, and preserve their vision without corporate interference. I find that encouraging as a customer. I find corporate interference in games to be something that makes them worse.
    You do realize that all of the games Blizzard produced were done with a corporate overlord right? Corporate interference is usually a scapegoat that people bring out when they need someone to blame but can't blame the studio, or artists, for the problem.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I expect it will have the same outcome of all ex blizzard start ups IE releasing nothing or putting something out only to have it fail.

We know what kind of stuff they make or try to make it’s just gonna be another project Titan or wild star.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think, Dreamheaven will be new Blizzard. You're definetly wrong... People said this about Riot Games sometime ago.

Since investors want a profit, and profit comes from pleasing as many customers as possible, DH seems to be wanting to please fewer people. This suggests that customer satisfaction isn't really what they're aiming for. Why should I, a potential customer, be encouraged by this?
    because profit can also come from recognizing a niche that isn't filled and catering to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Yeah Valve is a private company. This is a thing that is possible. I am sure at this point their are in a more "elective" stage of their careers and would rather do what they want to do over starting yet another Blizzard.
    This. A lot of people tend to forget that companies choose to go public at an attempt for funding/grow larger. However a lot of companies aren't public. Heck Dell hated being public so much that they went back to being private.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    If you think, Dreamheaven will be new Blizzard. You're definetly wrong... People said this about Riot Games sometime ago.
    There won't be a new Blizzard as much as there has never been a wow killer in its sense. However if Dreamheaven goes well you will see them take on a lot of things that Blizzard was known for. Heck I personally think we will no longer see a physical Blizzcon in 2022 and in the future you might even see a Dreamheaven-con
    Last edited by flan1337; 2021-04-21 at 05:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flanYfran View Post
    This. A lot of people tend to forget that companies choose to go public at an attempt for funding/grow larger. However a lot of companies aren't public. Heck Dell hated being public so much that they went back to being private.

There won't be a new Blizzard as much as there has never been a wow killer in its sense. However if Dreamheaven goes well you will see them take on a lot of things that Blizzard was known for. Heck I personally think we will no longer see a physical Blizzcon in 2022 and in the future you might even see a Dreamheaven-con
    Tbh i wouldn't mind if Blizzcon will never happend again, why? This year definetly didin't showed anything cool. And i wouldn't say it is pandemic issue, but fact that they are much late with everything. HOTS last update was with Hogger in november, rumors also says that 9.1 for WoW will happend in august so. Who cares anyway?

As for Dreamheaven, either will not care. Not in fact i'm against DH no. I wish them luck, but most of guys works there are from Blizzard, and i don't trust them at all. Especially Morhime.

Didn't they just get founded a few months ago? I believe it will take some time before they have something to show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since investors want a profit, and profit comes from pleasing as many customers as possible, DH seems to be wanting to please fewer people. This suggests that customer satisfaction isn't really what they're aiming for. Why should I, a potential customer, be encouraged by this?
    It's fairly obvious what they mean by this.

They want to make fun games first, and please the shareholders second. Pleasing the shareholders is why we get soulless live-service wank, focused solely on maximum profit with as little work or effort as possible. Pleasing the shareholders is why we get microtransactions in 60 dollar singleplayer games, and all the other bullshit that comes with it.

You should totally be encouraged by this, although it remains to be seen if they can actually do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    With who's actually running the business, they won't announce anything until it's at least 3/4th finished like the good old Blizzard used to do.
    You mean good ole blizzard who had this? Soon™ I think you are misremembering how blizzard has ALWAYS been.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Were they wrong?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Were they wrong?
    Massive SH/SA Sandal, only one big game, gutted said big games progress and making it loot box based.

Ya pretty wrong as of now. Could be turned around with all the planned games but could also get further from the mark.

Profit doesn't come from pleasing as many customers as possible. Profit comes from doing the minimum work to convince enough people to buy a game and from selling less and less product for more and more money. Efficiency is where you make the real money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Until it becomes a publicly traded company, then you're pleasing shareholders.
    Only if you're not successful or an established company. Growing companies often don't pay their shareholders anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of replies in "Blizzard employee leaves" threads about Dreamhaven. I know it's Mike Morhaime's new company and that's pretty cool, but I went on their website and there wasn't a lot of information in regards to games their studios are making or anything.

Do they have any projects in the works that they've made public or are they still like brand new? Also what former Blizz employees have moved over there out of curiosity?
    Currently, no announcements.

I hope it is a grand adventure for people to explore together but the MMO market feels full yet stale at the same time.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

CONSPIRATION ALERT!

One of the old buisness tricks is to start a partner company.

This is how it goes:
    1.You hate your phonecompany(X) so badly, that you want to get away from it.
    2.So you get a new subscription from a much better phonecompany(Y).
    3.The trick? Y is actually owned by X - but you don't know it as customer(and you might even get a better service). But they won't tell you for obvious reasons - as bad public image - is a very serious deal.

Again - who is the winner - if this is the case?
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2021-04-21 at 05:44 PM.