Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Hit 73ish and figured i had the bard pretty much learned so switched back to my main.
    Currently level 88, discovered that bozja is a supreme leveling option, so spent some time to unlock it (finally!).
    Such an annoying unlock.

But! That intro quest... jaysus! They were ON FIRE around 5.3/4. 5.3 was a masterpiece in itself. This is 5.35, right? A philosophical discussion on psychology and memory... and then my new favorite headcannon.

Ive now decided that the true story of ff14 is hooking up rowena and gerolt. Sure, we save the world and all that, but only to carve a space for gerolt to admit his feelings for the literal best g... hang on, thats not it! Rowena is a queen! Im sure thats why all the quest chains (i read the patch notes when i first started the game and it was all about saving the queen), so i assume we're saving rowena from some bullshit. Gerolt and Rowena is now the reason my WOL even bothers to save the multiverse.

Literally next quest! So many (feisty) bunnies and (uptight) hrothgar. This is amazing! Why can i ignore this (ivalice is so skippable in 2023!)? Its so fun!
    Holy shit! the whole thing is a cid backstory? (sorry for liveblogging...)
    Last edited by ippollite; 2023-07-21 at 12:22 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    but only to carve a space for gerolt to admit his feelings for the literal best g...
    They were literally married
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    They were literally married
    They were!!!?!? Im gonna sorta pretend you never told me this. My sole objective (revised) is to bring them back together.

we even get a 'meanwhile..." quest!

This is... its basically the first story i haven't skipped. I mean i skipped it to post this. Meanwhile, shit is going down... i dont know what shit is going down, but this is (just checked, i don't have auto play turned on)...
    Bozja shouldnt be optional. Where are we currently? sky pirates? Can we just accept bozja is crucial? (To character development and world building?). This quest line is amazing!
    Last edited by ippollite; 2023-07-21 at 01:14 PM.

I can't remember what expansion story you find it out but one of the relic weapon chains has that as a pretty big plot point.

Was it the Shadowbringers one? I think maybe.

i dont think it is. They were married only in the context of false memories (bozja).
    So im assuming sb or even hw.

ETA: on the edge of memory was a bit...
    now im in kugane! Bozja is epic! (DO... NOT... SKIP THIS!!!! - but also remember you have the doman enclave teleport... the amount of times i followed the quest marker!!... i genuinely thought i had this sussed!)
    Last edited by ippollite; 2023-07-21 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    No. You have to have an active service account (trial or full) in order to download the game. You're going to need to find a reliable internet source, man.
    for year 2023 they really be living in the 1990s, i work in private sector and alot of the time im on some island or waiting in the marina

the fact you cant download their game without a subscription but with a valid account & expansions, their website reminds me of early 2000s free flash games sites, its just odd, ontop of there being absolutley 0 unofficial servers makes this even more confusing

thanks tho, hopefully i can get it downloaded or ill just drop the game, seems outdated anyway
    Last edited by danki1337; 2023-07-21 at 03:34 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by danki1337 View Post
    for year 2023 they really be living in the 1990s, i work in private sector and alot of the time im on some island or waiting in the marina

the fact you cant download their game without a subscription but with a valid account & expansions, their website reminds me of early 2000s free flash games sites, its just odd, ontop of there being absolutley 0 unofficial servers makes this even more confusing

thanks tho, hopefully i can get it downloaded or ill just drop the game, seems outdated anyway
    Welcome to Square-Enix, yeah.

I skipped TWO PATCHES! (well, 4... if we include the x.5 - 6.3 - 6.35. 6.4. 6.45). And around every single corner i find something to do. I'm still not done with the msq (but getting there - 25% through 6.4), ive finished about 80% of hildi... (stage 2 of the weapon), and suddenly remembered the custom deliveries. And still haven't touched the criterion dungeons. The post 6.1 island stuff. The deep dungeon. Tatarus grand adventure (havent started). What else have i missed? Oh, i guess this is a stretch from my premis, but i need a DoH for the meta quest chain in 6.5 (i reckon alchemy...).
    Also, im once again broke. (: Down to my last 200,000 from boosting gears).

But still, this game boggles my mind with side quest (solo) shit. It's ALMOST too much! I wish 6.5 was coming next month... but what a time to play catch up!

ETA: I was talking to a sheep typing this. A step later... Calling upon my beautiful branch filled me with joy! I love that they never let shit go.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2023-08-01 at 12:50 PM.

i dont think it is. They were married only in the context of false memories (bozja).
    Those memories aren't false, they're Gerolts memories.

What gave you the impression they were false?

So im assuming sb or even hw.
    Shadowbringers is when Bozja was introduced and is the storyline where you see visions of the past.

Ooooh, i probably just got it in my head from reading (wrongly) between the lines. I always prefer the massively convoluted (headcannon) answer over the very simple, straightforward (actual) one. (:

Apropos of nothing. Since 6.3 i noticed the auto text in quests was whizzing past. I just realised i must have accidentally screwed with it (and set it to 10). Random tip in case this also affects anyone who doesnt know: In auto text (pressing space) Tab speeds the text up, and shift+tab slows it down.

Oooh, one more question: When do the poetic tomestones usually start applying to gear in the current expansion? is it x.5 or x.55. Ive been sitting on 2000 for a fair while and want to use them.

Can i make a stupid human point? I mean, im gonna, anyway... but the DREAD i felt queuing for any single dungeon or trial as a healer post about 4.3 (to 6.3 when i finally quit) was genuine. If you picked a healer or tank... and hate your life and power through the msq because you really want to see it... but hate every group content you're forced into... There are better classes for you.

I know its controversial, because afflatus spam... healing is super easy mechanically. But the responsibility for the party (particularly in 4 man content) is ginormous... The terror i once felt healing inversely mirrors the carefree joy i suddenly have enjoying dungeon running.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2023-08-02 at 10:55 PM.

Oooh, one more question: When do the poetic tomestones usually start applying to gear in the current expansion? is it x.5 or x.55. Ive been sitting on 2000 for a fair while and want to use them.
    Never, they only apply to previous expansion/ "old" content

/SNIP
    Tanking and healing are definitely not for everybody. Play what you like and have fun with, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Never, they only apply to previous expansion/ "old" content
    yeah, I'm using mine to prepare max expansion stuff for all roles (WHM & SAG are 70, but I already got the full 80 stuff)
    sometimes I'm using it to buy stuff to prepare a relic (my fav to do atm are the anima lvl 60, but damn, so much stuff you must buy with tomestones (memoquartz in french)...)

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Tanking and healing are definitely not for everybody. Play what you like and have fun with, period.
    I always need a good refresh in low levels dungons when I pause the game a few monthes, if I want to tag in tank or heal roles
    it's a bother you can't farm max level tomestones while also XPing some not-90 jobs

I'm enjoying my savage / ultimate progression.

I'm enjoying tinkering with my house, redesigning it every few weeks because i can.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
    Motherboard: X570 AORUS PRO
    Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD XT 360mm AIO
    RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 @ 3600 MHZ
    SSD: WD BLACK SN850X 1TB PCI-E 4.0 M.2
    GPU: Powercolor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX

ooooooof that genuinely hurts! Currently 23 minutes in a queue for the latest most contemporary trial: the voidcast dais.

I tell a lie... 25 minutes. That aint right, right?
    Im updating as we go. This is... current content, right?
    And im still in the queue. (27 mins... i promise, i have every language clicked).
    Again i want to stress... 30 mins to engage with the latest content. Thats fekkin odd...
    woooooot! 30 mins. In typing this instead of playing it!
    30 minutes for the current content... thats weird?... or is it? im sure other dps have felt that same sting.

also... sniffing ones own farts... i get this is a love letter to all the ffs gone by... but i didnt play all those games. i dont get the references, and far from encouraging me to play those games i just feel... a teensy bit lost.

z(x)eromus?

I want to say "please stop and build an independent narrative", but i worry we cant. everything appears to be a 'reference'

Thats a bit weird.... right? I aint playing ff10 or 4 or whetever game we;re currently referencing. I mean i get it... genuinely get why you want to throw a bone to the ff crowd... but the literal only ff game ive played is 14. I just wanna play 14... not some chimera of 8, 7, 4, or 10... (whee i have to loop back into the history of ff games to understand whats going on.!)

Truly, i dont care about the other ff games. TRULY...
    Last edited by ippollite; 2023-08-16 at 05:36 PM.

ooooooof that genuinely hurts! Currently 23 minutes in a queue for the latest most contemporary trial: the voidcast dais.

I tell a lie... 25 minutes. That aint right, right?
    Im updating as we go. This is... current content, right?
    And im still in the queue. (27 mins... i promise, i have every language clicked).
    Again i want to stress... 30 mins to engage with the latest content. Thats fekkin odd...
    woooooot! 30 mins. In typing this instead of playing it!
    30 minutes for the current content... thats weird?... or is it? im sure other dps have felt that same sting.

also... sniffing ones own farts... i get this is a love letter to all the ffs gone by... but i didnt play all those games. i dont get the references, and far from encouraging me to play those games i just feel... a teensy bit lost.

z(x)eromus?

I want to say "please stop and build an independent narrative", but i worry we cant. everything appears to be a 'reference'

Thats a bit weird.... right? I aint playing ff10 or 4 or whetever game we;re currently referencing. I mean i get it... genuinely get why you want to throw a bone to the ff crowd... but the literal only ff game ive played is 14. I just wanna play 14... not some chimera of 8, 7, 4, or 10... (whee i have to loop back into the history of ff games to understand whats going on.!)

You don't have to know or play the other FF games to "get" the story in XIV. Sure, the current arc has a ton of references to FF4 but they're just that. References.

The story isn't the same, the characters aren't the same, you don't need to know the FF4 narrative or characters to follow what's happening in XIV, etc.

z(x)eromus?

...you dont need to have played any of the other games to understand the plot here. Parts of various characters' arcs are being used and twisted around to fit FF14's world but it is not the same lol.

Feels like a comment you read somebody else complaining about this say and then just repeated it without knowing if it was even true or not.

Also literally the entire MSQ ending with 6.0 has been its own unique thing, what are you talking about lol. It has various inspirations here and there but it was genuinely 14 and just 14. And the second they introduce other FF-plot inspirations into the MSQ after a decade of its own story suddenly people start yelling that they're just nostalgia baiting...????

If you haven't even played the games you're complaining about, this comment rings incredibly hollow.

Also man I WISH 10 was actually represented in this game. I'm not sure why that's the one you chose to list alongside 4, which is the actual game being referenced in EW. Its arguably the least represented mainline title in the franchise.
    Last edited by Arlette; 2023-08-17 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    Also man I wish 10 was actually represented in this game. I'm not sure why that's the one you chose to list alongside 4, which is the actual game being referenced in EW.
    Ugh, I could do without 10. Am I the only one on Earth who really did not enjoy that world, the characters, the story, etc?

I think I might just be...

Anyway, more to the point: Final Fantasy is an IP that absolutely loves self-references. It's just part and parcel of the franchise at this point. That's going to go doubly so for a live service title. So it's neither out of character for the franchise, nor an issue for new players who don't get the nostalgia. (If you get it, then great. If you don't, then what's the issue? The story, characters, setting, etc are still all completely self-contained in XIV.)

ah sorry. Drunk shitposting. Just came back from vacation with a litre of walker double black. By the time i made that post i was about 1/3rd of the way in. Ive no idea what triggered me, or why i really wanted to make that point.

Instantly felt refreshed when there wasnt any current politics the moment i made a character.
    The NPC dialog is refreshing too. Nobody is asking me for a hug, or throw a birthday party for a gay polycule, or be affirming and kind or anything. Just normal ass talking and normal ass quests.

Im only level 13 and enjoying that the Lalafells are not cringe goofy gnome/goblin mechanics. Right off the bat saw a mustachioed Lalafell order his goons to beat up a guy who owes him money, and the only "joke" was the innkeeper basically saying, "lol sucks to be him." Just finished a basic save the town questline, and the leader is a female Lalafell that told the bad guy trying to take over her shanty that she'll send him to hell with his manhood shoved in his mouth. God, that's so refreshing to hear a female leader be unapologetically strong-willed to her threats without the renewal and forgiveness shit WoW keeps pushing with victims. The last time WoW had a female character take threats to her people seriously was Sky Admiral Rogers, and they made her apologize for pursuing the totally innocent Sylvanas in Stormheim.

I used to hate on JRPGs, but now I'll give them a chance, or at least this game.