Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Senate Passes Sunshine Protection Act

The Senate just unanimously passed a bill making daylight savings time permanent.

If this clears the House, no more changing the clocks twice a year.

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

The Senate approved the measure, called the Sunshine Protection Act, unanimously by voice vote. The House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on the matter, still must pass the bill before it can go to President Joe Biden to sign. The White House has not said whether Biden supports it.

On Sunday, most of the United States resumed daylight saving time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November.

Good news for people that enjoy more sunlight in the afternoon. Leaving more time for activities, like playin on the grass with friends.

I like it. I like it a lot. Couldn’t have come soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is literally no purpose to DST. There was, in an era before widespread electric lighting in factories and homes, but that hasn't been true for like a century.

And it kills people. The time shift correlates with an increase in vehicular accidents, from people having their schedules interrupted.

It's way past time it was abolished (rendering it permanent is the same thing, the issue is the changing back and forth twice a year not the specific hourly cycle you use).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    The Senate just unanimously passed a bill making daylight savings time permanent.

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity.

The Senate approved the measure, called the Sunshine Protection Act, unanimously by voice vote. The House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on the matter, still must pass the bill before it can go to President Joe Biden to sign. The White House has not said whether Biden supports it.

On Sunday, most of the United States resumed daylight saving time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November.

Good news for people that enjoy more sunlight in the afternoon. Leaving more time for activities, like playin on the grass with friends.
    I recall my early 20s around my birthday, going across the Blue Water Bridge to Sarnia to drink because the US dollar went farther. I wanna say the club was the Campbell Street Station. At 1:30AM they'd do "last call.", they set the clocks back just before 2AM due to daylight savings. At the second 1:30AM they'd then do "Last call, for real".
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

So...this translates to dawn coming later as the year gets colder. Sunrise around 9ish by December I think.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whoever voted yes on this needs to have their mental stability checked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's not a good idea to have it anymore.

The name reminded me of the "Sunshine Units", and was left a little worried, at first.
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-03-15 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

The name is ridiculous, but this is unambiguously a good thing. Good on them for actually passing useful legislation for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Without explaining why you just come off as a contrarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Without explaining why you just come off as a complete idiot. And maybe also a contrarian .

Fixed that for you. Seriously the time swap is something people with more than two brain cells rattling around in their skull got rid of or wanted to for a long time.

As Endus pointed out the purposes of the change has long since been fixed by technology and now it causes harm not good.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2022-03-15 at 10:27 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

This was changed in 2007 when GWB lengthened dst by 4-5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

Glad theyre going with DST and not standard time. Was worried any permanent changes would be in favour of standard time.

It's funny. When Rubio moronically tweeted, Instagram Zelensky meeting on Zoom, I was about to rip into this idiot with"What has he ever done in the Senate". Well now I see the great statesman in action
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Well now I see the great statesman in action
    We all...well, most of us, have a moment of genius every once in a blue moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, lets see if the House decides to fuck it up before we start celebrating though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just highlights how we can't really get anything done but meaningless nonsense.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Tell me, why do we still need daylight savings time? It was coined by Benjamin Franklin, to help farmers back in colonial times, to help them for their crops during the summer months. There really is no reason to keep it now that we have tractors and combines instead of horse and buggies with a single row horse drawn plow.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Tell me, why do we still need daylight savings time? It was coined by Benjamin Franklin, to help farmers back in colonial times, to help them for their crops during the summer months. There really is no reason to keep it now that we have tractors and combines instead of horse and buggies with a single row horse drawn plow.
    That's not even why we do it (Ben Franklin suggested the idea in satire, along with several other ridiculous notions). We do it because during World War I, Germany instituted it to save fuel, and then everyone else did too, and we've all continued doing it since.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, please. Dark at 4:30pm is dumb.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not quite sure you understand what this bill means.

It's not that it'll be changing all the time, just that it'll always be GMT -7/-6/-5.