Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not supposed to "stop" screenshots. That's literally not the point.

Now you can resell it if you want. Or you can own it, knowing you have the real version and, much like artwork itself, all other copies aren't worth shit and have no value.

Nobody is going to be buying "disaster girl" without proof that it's the actual NFT. If they try to buy a screenshot of it, they're a dumb as the person thinking they got a steal on a Sargent that was 1/1,000th the actual price.
    Proving originality is about stopping theft of intellectual property for everyone who isn't a rich person trying to flex their clout. If the mechanism of proving originality doesn't actually stop theft, then it's a useless mechanism.

I must be missing the part where there's actually a demonstrated need for NFTs that wouldn't be covered under existing copyright law... Lol.

I buy the environmental angle, and the "scumbags are going to try to exploit this" because they are. The problem seems to be more that people are stealing and minting the art as NFT's, which is a problem with the marketplaces, not the entire concept itself. This stuck out to me though -

Like, there are a LOT of really good replicas of all kinds of art, so this argument doesn't hold much water with me.
    It is kinda relevant in a discussion where the entire point of NFTs seems to be a function of proving originality.

Again, this is brand new and there's a lot of shady and quite stupid shit going on (see: Dorsey's fuckin tweet being a NFT). NFT's for existing works will be extremely challenging right now, but it's the kind of thing where for - say comissions - the artist could turn the digital art into a NFT before it's put on the internet to begin with. Doing it retroactively is...kinda hard. And doing it to things like Dorsey's first tweet is hilariously awful and stupid and bruh.
    And again, I'm missing the part where this does anything new besides giving tech bros yet another instrument to speculate on.

Clearly it's not stopping art theft. Clearly it's not helping artists. It's certainly not helping the environment. So exactly what is NFT good for?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    It depends on a lot of factors and each case would probably vary quite a bit. For example, if the creator spent a lot of time creating the meme, or spent a lot of time and effot creating a work that spawned a very significant meme that the creator could generate revenue from (like the work in the OP), then the law would almost definitely favor the creator. But, that also doesn't mean a lot of effort need have been put into a work either. I'm just using that as an obvious example. The onus would be on the infringing party to prove fair use if it came to a legal battle.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-04-30 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Fuck NFT's and anyone involved with em.
    Why does it bother you so much? Is this because of the environment? Conveniently owning digital things and having a digital marketplace is more important than the CO2 emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but the copyright on the original Mona Lisa expired hundreds of years ago.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2021-04-30 at 12:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Conveniently owning digital things and having a digital marketplace
    Neither of which NFTs actually furnish, so we don't actually need to choose between them and putting out emissions on par with the airline industry. Sit down.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but the copyright on the Mona Lisa expired hundreds of years ago.
    The point being the relative effort between original creator and satirist isn't actually a useful metric in determining what is parody, lol.

Moreover: most people aren't making money off memes anyway, further underscoring the parodical aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Why does it bother you so much? Is this because of the environment? Conveniently owning digital things and having a digital marketplace is more important than the CO2 emissions.
    [Citation Needed]

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The point being the relative effort between original creator and satirist isn't actually a useful metric in determining what is parody, lol.
    It actually is if you bother to read copyright law. A judge will 100% take into account the amount of effort put into a parody and any cultural significance it creates or does not create.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually is if you bother to read copyright law. A judge will 100% take into account the amount of effort put into a parody and any cultural significance it creates or does not create.
    An NFT does not grant you any copyright.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    An NFT does not grant you any copyright.
    No shit. We're discussing copyright in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, so this is completely off topic and has nothing to do with the op? Cool...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Oh, so this is completely off topic and has nothing to do with the op? Cool...
    It's not entirely off topic, no.

I did not expect this to be a controversial topic. Thought it was a funny little story about a person making some bank off of a meme she featured in as a child.

Did not expect "Fuck NFT's" to be a driving discussion point.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not entirely off topic, no.
    Then please explain to me the relationship between an NFT and the copy right this girl holds on her meme.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Did not expect "Fuck NFT's" to be a driving discussion point.
    WWE included Wrestlemania 2022 tickets and one of a kind memorabilia with their Undertaker NFT... Does she get me tickets to wrestlemania? What a rip off...

WWE included Wrestlemania 2022 tickets and one of a kind memorabilia with their Undertaker NFT... Does she get me tickets to wrestlemania? What a rip off...
    i swear, all i figured was there might be some haters complaining that her family and her are "cashing in" on a meme. Maybe some offhanded comments about cryptocurrency.

Then please explain to me the relationship between an NFT and the copy right this girl holds on her meme.
    You aren't owed any explanation just because you didn't understand a post. But, technically her father owns the copyright because he created the work. Unless he transferred it to her. The person who bought the NFT can print it out, display it, use it as a desktop background or forum avatar, or do whatever with it as long as it's for their own personal use.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2021-04-30 at 02:23 AM.

What copyright?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Nobody is going to be buying "disaster girl" without proof that it's the actual NFT. If they try to buy a screenshot of it, they're a dumb as the person thinking they got a steal on a Sargent that was 1/1,000th the actual price.
    I find it difficult to believe anyone would buy it, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    What copyright?

- - - Updated - - -

I find it difficult to believe anyone would buy it, period.
    Someone did buy it for 180 ETH.

an nft is a link on a server somewhere. you own a receipt that's it. If the link goes down and 404's you that's the end of that. its bonkers. also c02's the planet.

since someone mentioned the mona lisa...

Last edited by jonnysensible; 2021-04-30 at 02:31 AM.

Someone did buy it for 180 ETH.
    One born every minute...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    an nft is a link on a server somewhere. you own a receipt that's it. If the link goes down and 404's you that's the end of that. its bonkers. also c02's the planet.
    And there's the thought.
    Cash it in and toss the money in a bank. A real bank, not in bitsy coins we trust...honest cross our heart and oh shit...bank just ran off from Turkey...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    One born every minute...
    It's not a dumb purchase. It will probably be worth 10x as much or more one day, being unique, and a culturally significant work from the early days of the internet. I say "early days" because the internet will still be around in 500 years and we saw the creation of it.

It's not a dumb purchase. It will probably be worth 10x as much or more one day, being unique, and a culturally significant work from the early days of the internet. I say "early days" because the internet will still be around in 500 years and we saw the creation of it.
    doubt the link will work in about 10 years.