10+ Year Old Account

Zovaal basis in real life

L. . .
    Last edited by Begrudge; 2021-05-08 at 04:18 AM.
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

Quick google search of Váli immediately says he's the son of Odin, not Loki.

Without going further, can you explain exactly what connections does he have to Váli?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

there vali son of loki (who might not even been real and simply a mistranslation), and valí son of odin
    neither of which seem anything to do with the jailer.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

The Jailer is more akin to either some depictions of Hades from Greek Mythology (Tho, most depictions have Hades as the more benevolent god, tbh), while most other depictions showcase him as more akin to Dante's Infernos Satan from Christian Mythology.

He seems most derivative of Hellraiser. Chains and hooks flying around and sending him to hell, and now he turns the tables and uses them to send others to hell. Sadomasochism / cenobites.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

If you look up Tartarus in Greek Mythology you get a lot of Maw vibes. Which leads me to believe Hades is the most direct inspiration for Zovaal. The name Zovaal doesn't ring any bells but sounds Zorostrian or something. The double 'aa' does harken to Baal as a general demonic entity in a few different religions.

There are a few motifs of gods "chained in the underworld" though.

Either way I'm glad they're making up their own names. Odyn is a bit on the nose lol. Probably a relic of the Metzen era when he was big on what Marvel did.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2021-05-08 at 05:01 AM.

Jailer fits more as a random comic book villain than any mythological god imo

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    The name Zovaal doesn't ring any bells but sounds Zorostrian or something. The double 'aa' does harken to Baal as a general demonic entity in a few different religions.
    His name reminds me of Zo'bal, Bwonsamdi's shrine in front of the Necropolis tbh
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    His basis is obviously Van "Donjon Master" Darkholme, one of the stars of reward winning "Gachimuchi" anime series.

Here's my best guess. The latter half of his name is based on Baal, like others have suggested already, who's basically the generic evil/false god in Christian lore.

The first half, 'zo' is reminiscent of 'zodiak' which derives from zōdiacus, the Latinized form of the Ancient Greek zōidiakòs kýklos (ζῳδιακός κύκλος), meaning "cycle or circle of little animals".

Together the name 'Zovaal' would mean something along the lines of 'False or Evil God of the Cycle'.

5+ Year Old Account
    Since he's the jailer of he damned and a prisoner himself he's obviously based on the devil.

The Jailer can be seen as a composite of various mythological antagonists from various cultures and religions.
    As both prisoner and ruler of the Maw, the Jailer shares similarities with some Christian depictions of Satan, notably the version depicted in Dante's Inferno given the cold/ice motifs.
    Other Abrahamic Satan motifs can be seen in both the winged Mawsworn (i.e. fallen angels of Christian Satan) and in the aesthetics of the shades in the Maw as spirits seemingly composed of ash and fire (i.e. jinn of Islamic Satan).
    Like Loki, he resembles a "frost giant", was chained, and once free of his chains wishes to end the world (Ragnarök).
    The recurring motif of an important helmet (e.g. the Helm of Domination) for the "king of the damned", is a reference to the helmet of invisibility from Greek myth belonging to Hades, king of the Greek underworld.
    Given his pulling of Korthia into the Maw (from the Mesopotamian underworld called Kur), and the fact he wasn't always in the Maw, Nergal may have been another source of inspiration.
    The way the Jailer's created the Lich King (likely inspired by a combination of Warhammaer's Arkhan the Black the Liche King and Tolkien's the Witch-King of Angmar who ruled the Nazgûl) gestures to his being inspired by Sauron.
    Zovaal's name may be derived from either or both Bulgarian зова (zova, derivative words meaning to summon/to name), Bulgarian зобам (zobam, to devour), Polish zobaczyć (to see), and/or Persian زغ*ل (zogal, coal, or as black/as dark as coal).

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/The...r#Inspirations

He is a cheap amalgamation of several devilish afterlife figures, with the personality of a rotten potato and the intellect of a rock.

5+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to remove the OP, then discussion can conclude here.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."