Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Idea to revamp archeology

What if instead of finding random grey vendor items each find in archology unlocked a removed appearance from the game and added a bit of trivia from where the original item came from?

Seems like a easy way to reintroduce some removed transmog and add some extra lore into the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree but this isn't a "revamp", just an addition

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I agree but this isn't a "revamp", just an addition
    For blizzard you may as well call it a massive overhaul. Though that might involve adding a timer and a score attack to it.

Blizzard.. do something..

I think I know where this will go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    What if instead of finding random grey vendor items each find in archology unlocked a removed appearance from the game and added a bit of trivia from where the original item came from?

Seems like a easy way to reintroduce some removed transmog and add some extra lore into the game.
    I wouldn't say replace the grays with that, but definitely add it to the drop table. It would be a good idea to do completely new transmog through Archeology because then you can say the designs are ancient in nature, like you are finding an ancient battle field.

End of the day, it would be easy to spice up Archeology, but Blizz isn't going to do it because it ... well it wouldn't add to the bottom line.

God I forgot this thing was even a thing. Does it even give anything decent anymore? Or did they just cut giving out mounts in.. cata?

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    God I forgot this thing was even a thing. Does it even give anything decent anymore? Or did they just cut giving out mounts in.. cata?
    No archaeology in SL zones, despite the obvious and amazing potential for it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    No archaeology in SL zones, despite the obvious and amazing potential for it.
    To be frank, I think Archaeology was Dead on Arrival. It was never super popular, always a long boring time-waster.

If they really wanted it to do something, it would've been an easy thing to tie into a Mobile App - preferably with some little dwarf digger guy that you move around to find stuff for in-game. Maybe they should start making things like the Spectral Tiger drop in Shadowlands Archaeology, lol...

archeology is dead and should stay dead.

i'm all for making pre-cata tmogs available through some minigame or through playing classic, but archeology is just way too boring and non interactive.

look at all those kirin tor/turtles/nazjatar minigames they have added over the years, turn that into it's own thing and tie the rewards to that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Yes! This would be amazing. I could dig up some epic robe for myself. It also could have a possibility to dig up some secret quests like that one with the mail box. It was quite fun. Actually, it's quite sad that they disabled it in Shadowlands. I hope they would bring it back. I loved digging back in Legion during my dwarf days.

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    To be frank, I think Archaeology was Dead on Arrival. It was never super popular, always a long boring time-waster...
    When it was introduced in Cata it was a pretty good way to level alts. You could mine, herb, hit a few dig sites and do a few pet battles. It was an alternative way to level if you didn't feel like questing or running dungeons again. Granted it wasn't terribly engaging but it was a relaxing way to unwind and gain some experience while chatting with friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Archeology might not be the most exciting feature but I do miss it in SL.

Archeology could be cool. We should have set up Dig sites for a week-month that offers dailys/WQ. With phasing they could change the site from day to day. Add in event like invasions. Mogu could attack your site to get the treasures from you ect.. Dailys would be something like clearing areas of mobs, drain water away from site set up areas you want to focus on that NPCs will dig down to.

Then add actual rewards instead of just grey items with pristine versions. I like the Idea of OP with old stuff that was removed as well as HD versions of older items. Mounts/Pets and perhaps cosmetics to spell effects/rare glyphs. I wouldn't mind a power increase as well but make it tradeable. I like the idea of digging up some titan artifact and gaining a weaker effect of Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings. Or elemental invasion with agents of Rag that let you collect Eye of (fire elly) that gives you the firebolt effect from hand of Rag ect... Could make up alot of fun little things that lets you socket your weapon.

Side note they could use Island expeditions maps for alot of this since they are pretty much dead content now. Re-using them should be easy. Could even add in resource collecting for your ship and supplies that could be a fun mini game. Collecting NPCS that you want to take along with perks.
    Last edited by Felrane; 2021-05-10 at 05:37 PM.

I would love that design. Though I'd love if Blizzard just did ANYTHING with Archaeology. It's been my favourite profession from Cata to MoP. That said, it's not something many of the people I play with use. And in general I don't see much about Archaeology at all. I'm kinda fearing that they have forgotten about it and will remove it at some point

make it so you can't find the same items over and over (assuming that still happens?)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

I'm just pissed that be because archeology was discountined in SL, my dwarf chars have literally useless racial - explorer...

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    To be frank, I think Archaeology was Dead on Arrival. It was never super popular, always a long boring time-waster.

If they really wanted it to do something, it would've been an easy thing to tie into a Mobile App - preferably with some little dwarf digger guy that you move around to find stuff for in-game. Maybe they should start making things like the Spectral Tiger drop in Shadowlands Archaeology, lol...
    Forthcoming unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed it, not only for the lore snippets, but also the RP potential (one of my characters is/was an archaeologist).

IMO, what should change is how it is done, not so much what you get for it. Make it a bunch of puzzle-type minigames, like Picross or just puzzling an artifact together.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    if it involves something that the rated pvp, raiding, or M+ crowd aren't concerned about, it will be ignored.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Kinda wish they had just done gathering nodes like herb & mining for Archaeology instead of having to survey. Surveying is cute for like, a special quest or for like an epic or a special legendary or something - but not like, the whole profession.

Greys and lore are fun to read, but it can be a lot of work surveying plus it sucks you can't just run into nodes anywhere, as only certain digcites are active too.

Weird how they tried going around that by teleporting you to next nodes and shuffling node generation instead of just making it like mining and herbalism.

In hindsight having it like herbalism and mining I think is preferable.