Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If they updated old transmog items would you like a new version or a replacement?

Was looking at some old armor sets for a new alt as a beginning place to make a new transmog set before building a more unique one and this thought came to me.

Blizzard often states the art team is one of the few teams with down times between patches. It got me thinking if blizzard ever decided to visually update old items would you want the updated item to be a new drop or to replace the original or allow access to both?

For example with both if you had the original you would simply get the HD version added to your transmog inventory and the old drop would award both versions.

Curious on what people's thoughts are on this.

They should just do what they did in Tomb of sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it would be necessary for every old armour piece, but there are fair few sets, and weapons too, that would be a lot more desirable if they were updated as 3D HD assets.

My God. A thread about xmogs. As it is my favorite topic I have to be careful not to be warned by flood. hahah ..
    Ok lets go:

I swear to God: If Blizzard put me in the role of Game Director now ... in less than 24 hours ALL of us would have a Dye System and you could paint your xmog the color you really like. My Rogue would FINALLY have something that is obvious and exists in every assassin class in any other MMOPRG: A 100% full-black xmog. Just citing an example ...

But, ok ... it seems that I will never be Game Director of this game (I will have to continue selling milk here in the south of the globe for a longer time ..) and I know that (unfortunately) in WoW the colors of the sets represent our advance in the game.

If we will probably never have a Dye System, then, in my most desperate opinion, we urgently need someone nice at Blizzard to give us dozens of re-colors of the Sets that already exist (at least the Class Sets).
    note: (Oh boy, I predict that dude here saying that this is impossible for Blizzard and recoloring so many Sets will take 100 years and 1 billion dollar blah blah blah ...).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post

For example with both if you had the original you would simply get the HD version added to your transmog inventory and the old drop would award both versions.

Playing with the graphics in the ultra-hard mode I was happy with the "texture" of what I see. Despite knowing that this is a 2004 engine and with a cartoonish art. But every time I see Torghast's NPCs I think that NPCs (for some reason) receive a much better artistic treatment than us, the players ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    I swear to God: If Blizzard put me in the role of Game Director now ... in less than 24 hours ALL of us would have a Dye System and you could paint your xmog the color you really like. My Rogue would FINALLY have something that is obvious and exists in every assassin class in any other MMOPRG: A 100% full-black xmog. Just citing an example ...
    Mythic hellfire citadel rogue set makes you pretty darn close to getting full black set, if you replace the helm and shoulders with something less fel green. Haven't looked at helms lately, but otherwise my void elf rogue has completely black transmog set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was looking at some old armor sets for a new alt as a beginning place to make a new transmog set before building a more unique one and this thought came to me.

Blizzard often states the art team is one of the few teams with down times between patches. It got me thinking if blizzard ever decided to visually update old items would you want the updated item to be a new drop or to replace the original or allow access to both?

Too much work to update the old, easier for Blizzard to start from when they added the new armor design methods (I believe Cata or MoP) and update from there, permit us to dye armor, and more. Turning the old armors to HD is a ton of work, rather they spent that as I said, preparing the armor system for more customization.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Too much work to update the old, easier for Blizzard to start from when they added the new armor design methods (I believe Cata or MoP) and update from there, permit us to dye armor, and more. Turning the old armors to HD is a ton of work, rather they spent that as I said, preparing the armor system for more customization.
    I would enjoy dyes myself though it sadly seems a bit unlikely. Unlike games that have player dyes ( the game I played that did was guildwars) armor design is what determined prestige. While that is partially true in wow a lot of wow's prestige is tied to color as well. It is why pvp and pve armor always has different colors even if it kind of ruins certain sets... take my favorite.

https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set...-elite-recolor

Then compare it with its terrible pve color

https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set...mythic-recolor

10+ Year Old Account
    they will never do it but if they do obviously a new version added not replaced because I don't want to lose what I've worked hard on, some models I like and I don't want replaced, and blizzard perfectly knows players are like this

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    They should just do what they did in Tomb of sargeras.
    and what was that?

7+ Year Old Account
    I would keep them separated and call them "Redux" or "Reforged" or something like that to tell them apart. Keeping both is a good compromise since not all "upgrades" have been successful and this way you appease both sides.

So either you just automatically get both when implemented or they make it like a sort of drop from Timewalking. Would be a nice incentive to play Timewalking more, especially the raids.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    and what was that?
    They re-created the tier 6 sets from Black Temple with more detailed models and textures while keeping the "spirit" of the design. You also had alternate versions for higher (and lower) difficulties. See Onslaught Battlegear vs Titanic Onslaught Armor as an example. I would love if they took this approach to the older tier sets such as tiers 1 through 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I know for a fact Magni's last words were "My body is now DIAMONDS!"

Then compare it with its terrible pve color
    I know that kind of frustration, my friend. My favorite set is the Rogue mythic Tier-19. (image below).
    One of my dreams in Azetoth is one day to simply see a re-color that turns all the gold pieces below into black.
    Or we have a Dye System that I do it in a simple click. Such a thing in Guild Wars 2 ... but in Warcraft it would only happen if there was a spiritual revolution within Blizzard (or, of course, if the right person is fired and replaced by someone with common sense).

Adding new sets that're updated versions of old armors sounds good to me. Taking older armors out and replacing them with the newly-updated ones? No thanks. Hate when stuff gets removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    I know that kind of frustration, my friend. My favorite set is the Rogue mythic Tier-19. (image below).
    One of my dreams in Azetoth is one day to simply see a re-color that turns all the gold pieces below into black.
    Or we have a Dye System that I do it in a simple click. Such a thing in Guild Wars 2 ... but in Warcraft it would only happen if there was a spiritual revolution within Blizzard (or, of course, if the right person is fired and replaced by someone with common sense).
    Devils advocate though... if they allowed dyes I would never of started pvping for transmog sets and they wouldn't of gotten me interested in that aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Torahn View Post
    They re-created the tier 6 sets from Black Temple with more detailed models and textures while keeping the "spirit" of the design. You also had alternate versions for higher (and lower) difficulties. See Onslaught Battlegear vs Titanic Onslaught Armor as an example. I would love if they took this approach to the older tier sets such as tiers 1 through 5.
    as long as they dont do the other thing they did with tomb

I don't think dyes are good for wow, the armors are so complex that forcing the devs to make 6 times as much armor for each patch instead of simply 1 and the different colors go in different activities/difficulties would mean we either get loads of repeat appearances or patches would always take a year or more to finish.

I would love updated models for the old gear though, some of the best sets are from Vanilla, looking at the priest sets, judgement and a few other notable ones, + stuff like the "slutmogs" which I also enjoy (I'm female and straight so fight me)

I think they need to add new versions though, not remove the old ones, because tastes differ and sometimes the updated version doesn't sit that well with everyone. Take the onslaught example from above, everyone seems to really like it, but I think the original onslaught armor looks a lot better and less busy.

A new version would be nice.

I kind of would like it if Blizzard every so often did a "best of" where they asked for the best old tier sets to give a polishing and put into the game as new rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    yah i would like to get an updated HD version of the older looks. many people have an attachment to the low-res looks, fine, leave them be. just add in HD versions as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

In the transmog window you can right click a piece of gear to select other variants or drop sources to transmog to. It'd be nice if there were updated or older versions to quickly swap between like that if you have both.

I imagine people would complain if they lost a look they liked and thought it was better than the new version. Ideally the new versions would be undeniably better for those who like that style, but better to be safe and let people choose old or new versions lest people riot.

Depends. Some only need an update, some need ritual cleansing followed by an exorcism first. Sadly there is always the chance that they could make it worse, though I think their tomb sets were mostly good (only the new one for DKs looked utter shite).
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.