Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Any person who is disadvantaged so much that they can't possibly find a place in society without the government's helping hand is unworthy of respect. They should be closed.

Any person incapable of higher potential than bare minimum human capability is unworthy of respect. They should be closed.
    etc.

Goes both ways, and I'm a firm believer in proper negotiating dynamics of strong vs weak. No one owes you help or acknowledgment of your existence.
    Just an FYI, most people stop parroting Ayn Rand nonsense by the time they graduate highschool.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death threats again....different account...same SuperTony.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    SuperTony...

Glad to hear he's still as unhinged as ever

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    SuperTony...

Glad to hear he's still as unhinged as ever
    Youd expect a super tony to me more super then this. Scamming us all.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    During this pandemic, grocery store workers have been considered "essential" ... I don't care how low skill the job is, if your job is essential for society to function, you should be paid more than minimum wage because your job is essential for us to function. Once these low skill essential jobs are paid a living wage, it will be hard pressed for employers of other low skill jobs to justify paying less.

The fact that after everything this is still a political argument is nonsense to me.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    didnt he join the proudboys lmao fucking loser

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    It depends on the company and the region of course, but the current situation is because the government is paying people double minimum wage for unemployment. So companies that might be paying $10 or $12 or whatever, cannot find employees when the gov is paying $15. (State + Federal, state varies, fed is +$300.) Florida is $8.30ish min for non-tipped, south florida averages $11-13 for entry level positions and part time work.
    Federal offers $300/week. Which is $15,600 a year. Which is about $520 more than federal minimum wage.

Here in California, it's $600/week (state + fed), which is $31,200 a year. Which is the exact same as working the state minimum wage.

We're not paying people "double" minimum wage. We're paying them, at most, minimum wage. I checked a handful of other states, Texas, Pennsylvania, New York, Florida, Washington, Hawaii, Mississippi, and Alabama. No state is paying much more than minimum wage. Plus all of these states require you to actively seek work and provide evidence of that, and if you are offered a job from somewhere and refuse it, you lose your benefits in most of those states (CA & NY being exceptions - you need to be offered at least your pre-unemployment wage).

Very few people can survive on or around minimum wage unless they're in a large house share or receiving some other kind of external support. People don't want to apply for slave wages when they can sit at home and wait for an upgrade to come around.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    During this pandemic, grocery store workers have been considered "essential" ... I don't care how low skill the job is, if your job is essential for society to function, you should be paid more than minimum wage because your job is essential for us to function. Once these low skill essential jobs are paid a living wage, it will be hard pressed for employers of other low skill jobs to justify paying less.
    People have become aware "Essential" for Slave Wages and No Benefits is BS.

The fact that after everything this is still a political argument is nonsense to me.
    Even after GOP Trumpers made Wearing Masks, Social Distancing and the Coronavirus Political.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2021-05-14 at 11:56 AM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Federal offers $300/week. Which is $15,600 a year. Which is about $520 more than federal minimum wage.

Here in California, it's $600/week (state + fed), which is $31,200 a year. Which is the exact same as working the state minimum wage.

We're not paying people "double" minimum wage. We're paying them, at most, minimum wage. I checked a handful of other states, Texas, Pennsylvania, New York, Florida, Washington, Hawaii, Mississippi, and Alabama. No state is paying much more than minimum wage. Plus all of these states require you to actively seek work and provide evidence of that, and if you are offered a job from somewhere and refuse it, you lose your benefits in most of those states (CA & NY being exceptions - you need to be offered at least your pre-unemployment wage).

Very few people can survive on or around minimum wage unless they're in a large house share or receiving some other kind of external support. People don't want to apply for slave wages when they can sit at home and wait for an upgrade to come around.
    Most "blue" states have the pre-employment wage condition that I know. I can 100% confirm Connecticut does.

The people getting "more than minimum wage" on Unemployment were getting more than minimum wage when employed.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

5+ Year Old Account
    Good.

Bleed them dry until they start paying real wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Rather narrow minded view... small businesses forced to close, meanwhile monolithic companies like Amazon grow furthermore.
    If small businesses page slave wages, maybe they deserve to close... just sayin'.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Not sure that a company that only controls about 50% of the market in the US and less than 10% worldwide is a monopoly...
    they don't come close to 50% none of them do outside of Microsoft's OS market share.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Youd expect a super tony to me more super then this. Scamming us all.
    I dunno. Maybe we've met different Tony's :P.

Most "blue" states have the pre-employment wage condition that I know. I can 100% confirm Connecticut does.

The people getting "more than minimum wage" on Unemployment were getting more than minimum wage when employed.
    in CT if you made the min wage of 13 dollars you would get 12.50 back in unemployment not including the 300 dollars unless it was recently updated and i did not hear about it since in April they suspended the planned UI benefit increase that was planned for a 4 year time period.

with the 300 you would get a total of 20 dollars an hour.

its odd they say people are not going back to work because they are making more money, but these min wage sectors are having the best recovery rate given the restrictions on how much business these places were restricted

Jan 118,900
    Feb 121,000
    Mar 122,600
    April due out next week @ state level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I just bought some new dumbbells not from Amazon.Got them directly from the company; however, there is a oligopoly problem where there are few competitors.

The poor boy that may lose business is fucking Walmart and Target now because Amazon has thoroughly crushed all other competition.

you couldn't order from Walmart? Dicks Sporting goods? Or the thousands of small businesses that also sell on line?

Also they have been saying for a decade that Walmart was going to drop like a dead bird because of amazon but they keep growing.
    They even have higher growth rate in online sales then amazon right now.
    Amazon's % of the total growth has dropped from the high 80's down to the low 30's as those 'crushed competitors' ramp up online sales and their distribution networks.

Sales/Revenue
    485.14B
    499.91B
    514.41B
    523.96B
    559.15B

Walmart reports record Q4 and FY21 revenue. Annual revenue of nearly $560 billion
    resulted in $35 billion of growth; $40 billion of growth in constant currency
    • Walmart U.S. Q4 comp sales grew 8.6% and Walmart U.S. eCommerce sales grew 69%
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    in CT if you made the min wage of 13 dollars you would get 12.50 back in unemployment not including the 300 dollars unless it was recently updated and i did not hear about it since in April they suspended the planned UI benefit increase that was planned for a 4 year time period.

with the 300 you would get a total of 20 dollars an hour.

its odd they say people are not going back to work because they are making more money, but these min wage sectors are having the best recovery rate given the restrictions on how much business these places were restricted

Jan 118,900
    Feb 121,000
    Mar 122,600
    April due out next week @ state level.

- - - Updated - - -

you couldn't order from Walmart? Dicks Sporting goods? Or the thousands of small businesses that also sell on line?

Also they have been saying for a decade that Walmart was going to drop like a dead bird because of amazon but they keep growing.
    They even have higher growth rate in online sales then amazon right now.
    Amazon's % of the total growth has dropped from the high 80's down to the low 30's as those 'crushed competitors' ramp up online sales and their distribution networks.

Sales/Revenue
    485.14B
    499.91B
    514.41B
    523.96B
    559.15B

Walmart reports record Q4 and FY21 revenue. Annual revenue of nearly $560 billion
    resulted in $35 billion of growth; $40 billion of growth in constant currency
    • Walmart U.S. Q4 comp sales grew 8.6% and Walmart U.S. eCommerce sales grew 69%
    I could have ordered from walmart.. a big boy, or dicks another big boy...

I don't think you read what I said properly.

got them directly from the company aka no middleman... i got them from the relatively small company that makes them (50mn or so revenue)

Walmart is huge and growing, but what I am saying is that the "poor boy" that people are worrying about are huge companies... the only competitors to amazon now are some of the largest companies on the face of the planet.

I could have ordered from walmart.. a big boy, or dicks another big boy...

I don't think you read what I said properly.

got them directly from the company aka no middleman... i got them from the relatively small company that makes them (50mn or so revenue)

Walmart is huge and growing, but what I am saying is that the "poor boy" that people are worrying about are huge companies... the only competitors to amazon now are some of the largest companies on the face of the planet.
    my bad read it too fast and me stooopid.

well depends on the type of goods you are buying.

That's the problem comparing amazon to others they are a conglomerate in the retail space but do not actually hold anywhere near a monopoly or even 50% of most retail markets. there are multiple majors, regionals and small players that have more market share then amazon in most of their product segments.

the thing they are dominating in is conglomeration of everything into one place and managing getting to you what would normally take 4 visits to local shops or web sites to get done.
    But this is not to be confused with actually dominating the product segments or having monopolies in any of them.

So can you have an monopoly in convenience and then force a break up because of it?
    How would you even break up amazon retail services??
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    The Maximum weekly rate in CT without Dependency is 667. And yes, for the next 4 years, if the rate would increase, it won't. It doesn't always increase.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Small businesses aren't inherently better you know?
    The money stays local and circulates locally instead of going to a couple of Billionaires in Benton, IL and then on to Chy-na

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    if someone told me i was getting paid $2 dollars an hour plus tips id kick their head in, and it would be morally right.
    If it were me, I'd get rid of tipping completely from service industry jobs and just pay a living wage. I worked in a restaurant years ago and on a really good night, I could bankroll about $200 in tip share working in the kitchen because the place would be packed. That was on top of the whatever $14 an hour I was getting paid. But it was usually an insanely busy night, 10 hour shift usually. But honestly, most of the time it was no more than $20 for a night, which for 10 hours wasn't the worst thing since it was cash and didn't get taxed.

The Maximum weekly rate in CT without Dependency is 667. And yes, for the next 4 years, if the rate would increase, it won't. It doesn't always increase.
    Yah but you won't get the max dollars unless you made around 35,500 or 17.06 an hour. So you get 16.68 an hour on unemployment max.

In april the gov signed a Exec order suspending the rate increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    The money stays local and circulates locally instead of going to a couple of Billionaires in Benton, IL and then on to Chy-na
    LOL till they have to pay their bills to that bank, those suppliers, the power company....then that money ends up going to the same places.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!