Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Was already my theory since they messed around with name lore in Wrath. Male name, female form - I've been sounding like a mad man trying to explain that to people for years but nooooo.... Finally there is proof, and I'm happy to be right.. And it is a cool little quirk in the universe.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any EU vendors yet?

For I'm not paying 31 dollars in shipping for a 35 dollar book..

Edit: Seems it is finally on an EU store but no real pricing yet.
    But it isn't fun seeing all the people crying woke sjws without knowing this has been around since Vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    But it isn't fun seeing all the people crying woke sjws without knowing this has been around since Vanilla
    I doubt anyone at Blizzard knew what trans was back in 2004. Obviously wasn't the intention at the time. Regardless of how that naming mistake in 2004 makes it easy to say Chromie is trans today, it was clearly done as a virtue signal. Until they try to publish the book uncensored in China, risking backlash against their brand and profits from the communist government there, then this is all just meaningless virtue signaling with no real principles behind it. Like when Disney virtue signaled two lesbians kissing in the background in Star Wars, then cut the scene for China because they don't actually give a toss when they might lose money for their principles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Indeed, it is not.

But alas, many people don't know how to process certain changes without spouting such words.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Ah yes, the one reason to get invested into WoW lore: dragons' preferred genders
    Everyone has their preferred section of lore. There are a lot of hardcore dragon lore people just like there are for elves, orcs and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    This could be a really fun story to tell, especially condiering how interesting a character Chromie is. They could be trans, could simply adore the female Gnome form, could be non-binary. The power to change form to match the gender one feels at the moment could be liberating to a fluid character.
    We don't know. Could be many things. I do like the thought of a dragon turning into a female gnome just because they like the looks and the ability to mess with people. "Enormous power in a tiny package".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    I mean, how is Chronormu trans if he's still a male dragon? all that's said is "it suits me", which can mean so many different things

Chromie is just the form/guise he takes when dealing with mortals. And we know dragons can take on any form they want and are able to change the form as they want

it's weird how ppl are directly jumping to "oh confirmed trans" when this book doesn't say that. At most, you might interpret it that way if you look at it like that, but there is no direct confirmation or anything from Blizzard. What the book does confirm is that Chronormu is a male dragon.

I brought this up in the r/wow reddit thread on this, and dear god the amount of downvotes and attacks I (and others who were pointing this out) got for somehow daring to say this -_- Baffling how some people are acting like
    Chromie is somehow now confirmed trans with there is nothing to back that up. Feelings/opinion =/= fact/canon

funny though, others have brought it up, but this would be like saying ppl who play characters of the opposite gender to their own = trans xD
    Chronormu is... a... crossdresser? Drag Queen?... Uhm.. Cross-shaper?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn123 View Post
    This is 2021 Blizzard we're talking about here. WoW is no longer written by DnD-playing metalheads. It's written by blue-haired white intersectional feminists who live for this sort of stuff. Look up a picture of Madeline Roux, author of the pre-Shadowlands book and browse her Twitter timeline for a few seconds to see what I mean.

I may have shared your benefit of the doubt if this were done 10 years ago, but it's 2021 and the people who run this game have very leftwing viewpoints they want to push and whether they have Chromie outright say "I'm a biological male who identifies as female" or not, the reason behind doing this story at all is obvious.
    Except.. that this theory was already a thing in Wrath (which is considered top three of expansions), when they started the dragon naming method, before that, Chromie was identified as a female due to the female gnome form.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Meh doesn't really matter. Chromie will always be a female gnome to me.
    Well, yeah, because he picked that form. Heh.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt anyone at Blizzard knew what trans was back in 2004. Obviously wasn't the intention at the time. Regardless of how that naming mistake in 2004 makes it easy to say Chromie is trans today, it was clearly done as a virtue signal. Until they try to publish the book uncensored in China, risking backlash against their brand and profits from the communist government there, then this is all just meaningless virtue signaling with no real principles behind it. Like when Disney virtue signaled two lesbians kissing in the background in Star Wars, then cut the scene for China because they don't actually give a toss when they might lose money for their principles.
    I'm sorry but being trans wasn't something made up and made popular just a few years ago like the phobes would try and claim...god forbid there be a few characters in the game who aren't cis/het. It's all a SJW conspiracy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Ah just stop with this BS already!!!

No wonder why so many good devs have left Blizzard already. They don't care about their game AT ALL. They just care about certain groups and how to do their bidding as best as they can.
    A lot of these good devs and artists created the state the game is in. And this confirmation is not game-breaking, people have had this canon in mind since wrath.

- - - Updated - - -

When I heard of this book, I was actually expecting to hear the sort of folk and fairy tales that kids in Azeroth would be raised on. Given that as recently as Calia Menethil, female princesses were still pushed into arranged marriages, I can't imagine there would be many fairy tales about trans dragons. Then again, I was expecting Blizzard's writers to be walking encyclopedias on the lore, and I forgot that modern WoW novels aren't like Arthas Rise of the Lich King or Lord of the Clans where they fill in gaps, but instead are mechanisms to retcon the story to fit the nonsensical story Blizzard is trying to tell today. Silly me.
    There is a story.. of a dragon.. going through a ritual.. of picking a shape.. nothing more?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I wonder what controversy they are trying to sweep under the rug to make this change:

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Chronormu

They had previously said she was female so unless someone higher up refused to let her be a dude dragon and now left the company so the original creator can fix it they are clearly just doing it for brownie points otherwise it would have been mentioned like a decade ago.
    Had a talk with another user, and apparently, there was a minor statement of Chronormu being female in a magazine that is unavailable and wasn't sold to most of the world. This magazine was printed around the same time that they were starting to use the naming method for dragon genders.

- - - Updated - - -

Pardon me, what?

Trans is not a new thing. It is centuries old.

The only thing Blizzard did, looked at two theories that emerged from Wrath of the Lich King (one of the greatest expansions) and picked one of them. One theory was that Chronurmu was a male in a female form, another was that it was just a female dragon with an unfortunate naming which has been made a statement of a joke in.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

When I heard of this book, I was actually expecting to hear the sort of folk and fairy tales that kids in Azeroth would be raised on. Given that as recently as Calia Menethil, female princesses were still pushed into arranged marriages, I can't imagine there would be many fairy tales about trans dragons. Then again, I was expecting Blizzard's writers to be walking encyclopedias on the lore, and I forgot that modern WoW novels aren't like Arthas Rise of the Lich King or Lord of the Clans where they fill in gaps, but instead are mechanisms to retcon the story to fit the nonsensical story Blizzard is trying to tell today. Silly me.
    golden is the autor of arthas and lord of clans :P

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    golden is the autor of arthas and lord of clans :P
    Golden is the author of the books but she doesn't pick what lore goes in them or even what lore is canon so there would still be an argument to make in a change of book direction as the people giving her the orders to fill have changed.

Had a talk with another user, and apparently, there was a minor statement of Chronormu being female in a magazine that is unavailable and wasn't sold to most of the world. This magazine was printed around the same time that they were starting to use the naming method for dragon genders.

- - - Updated - - -
    If I remember right there was also a Blizzard post and Hots saying she's a chick dragon. Atleast this retcon isn't as bad as when they made Iceman gay in the Xmen since all lore stating Chromie was a she dragon is technically outside the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    If I remember right there was also a Blizzard post and Hots saying she's a chick dragon. Atleast this retcon isn't as bad as when they made Iceman gay in the Xmen since all lore stating Chromie was a she dragon is technically outside the game.
    Well, apparently the only Blizzard statement found is in a magazine that is unavailable and wasn't sold to most of the world. Unable to find much else on that part.

Heroes of the Storm, however, is a different case, as it is considered non-canon.

So, Blizzard just picked one of two popular theories from Wrath of the Lich King.

A dragon who's able to swap back and forth to a perfect approximation of whatever race/sex they want has about as much to do with what this is a shout out for in real life as my ass has to do with Jupiter. These fantasy analogies always fall flat for this reason which is incidentally also why this isn't a big deal. The main thing is that the ceremony business is less interesting than the previous lore of dragons just picking whatever form is most suitable at the time. Unless Krasus took a ceremony to identify as a tree.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-05-15 at 07:48 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    A dragon who's able to swap back and forth to a perfect approximation of whatever race/sex they want has about as much to do with what this is a shout out for in real life as my ass has to do with Jupiter. These fantasy analogies always fall flat for this reason which is incidentally also why this isn't a big deal. The main thing is that the ceremony business is less interesting than the previous lore of dragons just picking whatever form is most suitable at the time. Unless Krasus took a ceremony to identify as a tree.
    Well, the visage they choose is their mortal identity. Krasus' actual visage was that of a High Elven form. Other shapes take is not the same I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post

World of Warcraft: Folk & Fairy Tales of Azeroth

Releasing on the 25th, but some got a copy earlier.
    Is this a novel? Or is it more comparable to Chronicles? Or is it a reference book (think monster manual from D&D)?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

3+ Year Old Account
    Why do they have to spoil good and established characters with this weird stuff...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Is this a novel? Or is it more comparable to Chronicles? Or is it a reference book (think monster manual from D&D)?
    It's more like a collection of short stories.

Formerly known as Arafal

You know Gamers are fucked up when they deliberately misgender a video game character.

But no, no bigots here.

Well, the visage they choose is their mortal identity. Krasus' actual visage was that of a High Elven form. Other shapes take is not the same I guess.
    Krasus liked that form best, but he used others as needed. Before then the mortal guise was mostly a functional convenience. Mind, 'I like looking like a gnome girl' is also as far as this goes, there's just more fanfare added to it.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keelr View Post
    Why do they have to spoil good and established characters with this weird stuff...
    It fixes a mild inconsistency with her name, that's it.
    That's all this change does, it doesn't "spoil" one single thing about her whatsoever..

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    An updated post from WoWhead:

https://www.wowhead.com/news/chromie...ronouns-322349

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    It fixes a mild inconsistency with her name, that's it.
    That's all this change does, it doesn't "spoil" one single thing about her whatsoever..
    Literally it.

This has been a topic since the naming method was added, and it split people into two groups of confusion. And Blizzard just finally closest the chapter of that.

Oh i knew it. Good old MMO-Champion.
    They found a way to make sense of the chromie-name-problem aaaaaand people bitch.

I for one don't think that changes much for anyone who does not care about stuff like that. It is not that she runs around azeroth screaming at people "it's MAM"
    So get a grip.
    Also people calling it a retcon are simply wrong. IF you assume she was always female fine. Doesn't mean it was factual. You know. Fiction. You can extend the story of characters to make more sense by adding story to the part of life of said character that was never explained.

TLDR: If you don't care about it ignore it. Does not change the game or the character for you in ANY way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Krasus liked that form best, but he used others as needed. Before then the mortal guise was mostly a functional convenience. Mind, 'I like looking like a gnome girl' is also as far as this goes, there's just more fanfare added to it.
    The visage choice is a coming-of-age ceremony. The form they choose is indeed the form they like the best but also the form they for the future use to identify themselves among the mortals.