Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Lab-grown meat in supermarkets soon... thoughts?

link

I expected we'd have lab grown meats in my lifetime, but I was thinking in about 30-40 years rather than 2 years!

be interesting to see how vegetarians, Muslims and Jews feel about them as well as the carnivores (presumably vegans will avoid since they are grown from animal cells)

personally I'd be happy to switch to cultured meat if it's approved as safe, affordable and offers the same taste and nutrients. I enjoy vegetarian meals now and then but I could never give meat up, so this offers a great compromise

10+ Year Old Account
    1kg of chicken breasts is somewhere between 10-12€. Is it cheaper than? Alright then.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    1kg of chicken breasts is somewhere between 10-12€. Is it cheaper than? Alright then.
    We talked about this with wife - if it's <15 eur/kg, we will be buying it (and taste isn't, well, too weird). Same as we buy way more expensive free range eggs and what not.

Of course we're not douche-y vegan hipsters and if someone cannot afford it - it's perfectly fine.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Bring it on mate. Just make sure it's as safe as any of the other artificial industry food.

if its going to be affordable? heck yeah. as far as how jewish people will take it, we are not a monolith even when it comes to observant jews (which I'm not) likely reformists will figure out a loophole as to why its kosher (like if its grown form animal cells of a kosher animal and not contaminated by anything else - also kosher, or something like that). orthodox may stick to non lab stuff.

If it's affordable and the taste is OK, why not?

The company has launched a £16million fund-raising to build a pilot research and development facility in the first step towards producing 12,000 tonnes of cultured pork a year by 2025
    Call me when this stuff actually starts happening. So far it's a new startup looking for cash with wild claims and goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

We are far away from this actually leaving experiment stage and appearing in markets in reasonable quantity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Bring it on mate. Just make sure it's as safe as any of the other artificial industry food.
    That's an interesting point - I'd expect the same people gung-ho about this to be skeptical about "artificial flavouring and preservatives, etc..." in their food. With that said, I'm generally optimistic since it would reduce the suffering of animals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nice, in the future people will probably say "I can't believe they had to grow a whole animal to get meat". Apparently they make a liquid with sugar, vitamins, cheap amino acids, and water. It then goes into a bioreactor with the cell sample where it grows into high-protein meat. This plus bug farming and high protein micro-organism farming(ie spirulina) could make protein dirt cheap at some point.

Hopefully it'll make animal lovers and environmentalists happy since they're always complaining and worrying all the time.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-05-15 at 04:17 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reading the actual article,
    It seems they still fund raising to build the factory let alone start the processes, so kinda doubt we will be seeing food from them any time soon.

Personally I wouldn’t ever go for it even if it became cheaper then farm raised, but that’s mostly due to the factor I have a lot of family who are ranchers.

The less animal cruelty the better. I'd definitely go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    link

I expected we'd have lab grown meats in my lifetime, but I was thinking in about 30-40 years rather than 2 years!

be interesting to see how vegetarians, Muslims and Jews feel about them as well as the carnivores (presumably vegans will avoid since they are grown from animal cells)

personally I'd be happy to switch to cultured meat if it's approved as safe, affordable and offers the same taste and nutrients. I enjoy vegetarian meals now and then but I could never give meat up, so this offers a great compromise
    I have experienced the taste of it but the cost of producing it at the moment will price it higher than normal meat production prices. Taste is okay on blind taste, it is something to get used to when you see where it is from the second time you taste it. It is good marinated though. Though texture is to be wanting, then again, what we tried was flat patties.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    The less animal cruelty the better. I'd definitely go for it.
    Yeah, this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    if it tastes the same and is of similar cost or cheaper i'm all for it. personally im waiting for them to do prime rib and or porterhouse steak, or calimari,lake perch,rainbow trout.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2021-05-15 at 06:30 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If they can get lab grown salmon, that tastes the same for the same price or less, Yeah, I'm in for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

1. It doesn't look anywhere near as far as you make it seem. Actually entering mass production is very different from some lab stuff.
    2. I can already tell why their first product is a sausage.. they likely can't grow larger consistent pieces - especially in large quantities - and since a sausage is mangled meat already it's probably not as noticable if you just mangle some meat flakes. Not a fan of sausages myself on top of that. Call me when they can do a steak or at least a schnitzel.
    3. I'd be very cautious of negative side effects of long term consumption, because the way these things grow is hardly natural. I'd need to know more than "vitamins and nutriends" as the article claims, especially hormonal substances and how much of those traces remain in the finished product.
    4. I don't see the prices being competitive for a while, again mass production is usually not that easy, especially in industry sectors as hyper-tuned as the meat one.

Once they have actually shown they can do it properly, safely and affordable? Sure why, not?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

If taste and texture at the same then who cares.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's safe and has all the same qualities as the real, I'll buy it
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis