Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Multiclass or not

Just want to test the waters:

What is your stance on multiclass in wow?

Not like FF14. Everyone everything.

Just every class gets a companion class they can switch to at a trainer. Not anywhere. Just at one specific trainer.

Like... warriors and rogues
    Paladins and Priests
    Shamans and Hunters.
    Druids and... well maybe mages or hunters too.
    Warlocks and Mages.

DKs and Dh i would take out for... well they are basically a race. BUT every DK and DH has been something else before.

Does not have to be one class one class. So multiple classes pair with hunter for example.

Edit: I do NOT mean to classes at once with cross abilities. More like a boiled down FF14 system with one or two flavour abilities and max two classes you can switch between.
    Last edited by VinceVega; 2021-05-20 at 07:05 AM.

People would feel forced to swap to not only their best spec of six for raw power...

... but now if they're tied to a hybrid as a pure dps they may have no excuse to swapping to hybrid roles now when they don't want to.

Sounds like too many items to carry around. I think the 3 specs we get is more than enough considering how relatively diverse they are.

I would love a druid + shaman multiclass.

Also rogue+mage or rogue+hunter would be fun imo.

Paladin+DKnight (blackguard from d&d) or paladin+demon hunter would provide an interesting mix of capabilities.

Sounds like a balance nightmare. FFXIV was designed kind of from the ground up with all these combos and hybrid classes in mind. WoW would be jumping into it after 15ish years of it not even being on the radar to it suddenly being smashed together. The devs cannot get it right with the simpler non-combos they have 15 years of experience with.. imagine suddenly the whole card table being flipped over and the community expecting everyone to be dealt a royal flush.

Not that it is a horrible idea. I just don't feel it floats in the current WoW landscape.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love if we could have like a base class that branches into other classes (maybe based on armor type?) and we could switch at a trainer or like we can switch specs right now.

Something like:

Cloth Based: Mage, Priest and Lock
    Leather: Rogue, Monk (maybe DH, but since it's tied to a single race I don't see it happening)
    Mail: Hunter and Shaman
    Plate: Pally, DK

I love playing a bunch of classes, but leveling them is a nightmare.

7+ Year Old Account
    That would never work in WoW.

Just to be clear: I don't want to combine classes. Just have two classes on one char. Not using pyroblast as a moonkin^^
    Stuff like catchup with renown would fall off for example.

You could give them a flavour ability like the priest stuff back in classic

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just give the pures a tank/heal spec and I'll be happy. Getting alts to level cap is pretty quick anymore, and x.1 patches usually have catchup mechanics for grinds. Still kind of annoying to do it all on, like, 18 characters, but that's the alt life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Just want to test the waters:

What is your stance on multiclass in wow?

Not like FF14. Everyone everything.

Just every class gets a companion class they can switch to at a trainer. Not anywhere. Just at one specific trainer.

Like... warriors and rogues
    Paladins and Priests
    Shamans and Hunters.
    Druids and... well maybe mages or hunters too.
    Warlocks and Mages.

DKs and Dh i would take out for... well they are basically a race. BUT every DK and DH has been something else before.

Does not have to be one class one class. So multiple classes pair with hunter for example.
    Multiclass works in ff14 because of game design. It would become horribly toxic in wow way too fast unless they remove mythic raiding and downgraded keys.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as they sometimes murder the storylines, they do like to keep close to the lore of the original source material universe. This would be very much against the idea of all that and about as controversial as cross-faction.

They cant even balance 12 classes. 144

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that it could potentially open up flexibility for raids - need a tank? Just switch classes! - but it's also going to make any one character super complex. All that gear you'd have to lug around, all of the talents you'd have to understand, multiple roles in a raid or group environment on the same character rather that one set up specifically for that one thing...nah. I'd like it to stay how it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would it work with paladin/Priest? Because Paladin can equip plate, priest can't. So would I be forced to carry around 2 entire sets of gear to swap class? What about weapons? Priests can use staffs, paladins can't.

While it would fall under the same rules as a private server there was a classes wow server project a few years back, not sure if it's still going now. I know a few people who played it... basically you could pick from all spells and talents in the game as you leveled up (spells and talents still had level requirements) So you could stack things like nature damage talents from shaman/druid, or all the regen while casting/in combat talents, which could result in your mana regen being higher while casting... From what I understand it did not take long before they stopped allowing certain spell/talent combinations because of how OP they would become (druids with toughness from both prot war/pally + shield + extra armor from Bear form + plate + dodge talents to reach 90% + stamina talents on top of %extra hp from Bear etc). So... yeah balancing WoW now is a nightmare, I would not want to see the results if people could pick and choose abilities from 2 different classes. Like you could get a warlock with like 9? Dots by taking Shadow Priest and Affliction + healing from Vamp Embrace/Warlocks already potent self healing + 2 silences if you had a felhunter + stun + fear + bubble + Shadow Embrace on that many DoTs. So, yeah no way to balance all the combinations players would come up with.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2021-05-13 at 09:07 PM.

Seems strange and pointless. The FFXIV model rocks, but what you propse is just extremely gamey and contrived. Why would it be that class? Why only that class? Why this NPC?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

But... why?

Like FF14 or nothing at all. Just doesn't make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    uhmmm, before we do that.....!!!

multi speccs? multi convenants?

multiclass is a whole different dimension.

- - - Updated - - -

multi here for: duo

WoW isn't built for that kind of flexibility in mind.

As soon as it's implemented, players will complain about X combination being greater than Y combination, the balance gets all min-maxed to hell, and they scrap the system by the next expansion.